Caribou Gear

Bigfoot

Rev. J

Opening Disclaimer: I'm not a bigfoot "believer" at all.

But, I had long conversation with a guy who I respect as an outdoorsman/hunter. He's by no means a bigfoot fanatic, but had some pretty crazy stories of unexplainable things he's experienced in the woods. Stuff like rocks being thrown, and footprints being found after a tent experience with what he thought was a bear, etc. This guy has hunted all over the west and is as backwoods as you can get. He doesn't talk much, and doesn't seem like the type for tall tales...but maybe he's been in the woods too long?

I'm not looking for a bigfoot debate :rolleyes:, but the whole conversation got me wondering. How many of you have had weird/unexplainable experiences in the woods? Care to share?

I'm not a bigfoot believer. But I've heard enough of these rock throwing tales from people who spend a lot of time in the backcountry - who are not bigfoot fanatics themselves - and are spooked enough by the experience that I'm really not sure what to make of it.

I think about it more and more what I'd do if rocks started thumping next to my tent at night.

How many people actually take the time to hike into remote(ish) places to just throw rocks at people tents to advance a (conspiracy?) theory? I'd be too afraid of getting shot or pepper sprayed in the face.

Went camping with a buddy from Texas... middle of the night we heard the brushes shacking, twigs snapping, and then some small rocks started pelting the tent.

My buddy had his nigh vision scope that use used on pigs and popped his head out the tent. It was a pissed off cow moose who was kicking up gravel on us...

I think there is a reason 99% of these happen at night, animals do unexpected things and the more time you spend in the woods the more likely you are to encounter wildlife acting abnormally.

Another link below regarding Bigfoot, a fun listen, regardless of what you believe. I think it was the Meateater podcast that mentioned the author or the actual podcast below. When it comes to bigfoot for me, it's going to have to be a "seeing is believing" encounter.

Wild Thing - Bigfoot

I think I just enjoy the thought of there being something there. Hard to truly believe it though. I agree that there's people I wouldn't normally associate with b.d. that have stories.

When i was a kid I was fascinated by all things Bigfoot. i would watch and read everything I could get my hands on. Then I turned 12 and came to realize the simplest answer was it was all BS. Then I went to school to become an engineer and learned that the simplest answer is usually the correct one. I'm quite certain my 12 yr old self was right.

My guide on a AK sheep hunt a few years ago was the son of the man that shot the infamous Patterson video of Bigfoot. He wouldn't say one way or the other. But he is a hell of a hunter and he hasn't found a bigfoot yet.

Another link below regarding Bigfoot, a fun listen, regardless of what you believe. I think it was the Meateater podcast that mentioned the author or the actual podcast below. When it comes to bigfoot for me, it's going to have to be a "seeing is believing" encounter.

Wild Thing - Bigfoot

I listened to most of this series (still lacking a few of the "extra" episodes). It certainly made for some interesting listening and I enjoyed the series as a whole. You can definitely tell she worked for NPR in her delivery.

For me, I'm not sure that Samsquantch is real or even could be, but I do know that I want it to be, and I believe that it's that hope for something to exist beyond the grasp of modern science and society is what I think keeps the legend alive

Myself, I'm agnostic about BigFoot, I dont believe there is one, but there is enough circumstantial evidence that makes me think its possible. I've never had any direct interaction that was related to BigFoot.

I have heard three first hand accounts that I thought were credible and remained unexplained. All of them happened here in the Bitterroot which is a BigFoot hotpsot I'm told. We even have thr National Bigfoot Symposium here.

I also had a local police chief get multiple calls on boulders being theown into the river at fisherman, went and investigated, and experienced the same.

I'm gonna have to see a dead one in person. I know some guys that "saw" a Bigfoot by Lake Como. Might have had something to do with the little cigarettes they were smoking. mtmuley

^There's your Bitterroot yeti right there. They don't make humans taller and more mulleted than mtmuley.

Jeff Meldrum at Idaho has compiled some very interesting evidence. Some of it very hard to fake by someone who isn’t an expert.

All of that said, I am skeptical. Too many sightings across the country. Including many that are not in habitat that would support a large primate.

I would be very interested if any concrete evidence such as a fresh body ever turned up

I'm gonna have to see a dead one in person. I know some guys that "saw" a Bigfoot by Lake Como. Might have had something to do with the little cigarettes they were smoking. mtmuley

^^yep. I have a good buddy that swears he saw the big fella when he was younger and they were camping down by a creek. he gave a pretty good account of what happened. not sure i believe it either, he kind of liked them little cigarettes then too.

I want to believe in bigfoot but I have spent my whole life recreating and working in what is supposed to be prime bigfoot country. In those thousands of hours I have never seen anything I would consider solid evidence. There have been a couple of things though that make me wonder. I was walking down a forest road with my dog. The road made a big “U” through a draw. It was open timber so I could see the whole draw below the road as well as probably a quarter mile of road. The dog stopped, looked down the hill growling with her hackles up. She absolutely refused to go any farther. I had never known her to be afraid of anything and had even seen her chase bear on several occasions. I couldn’t get her to move so I said “Fine I’ll go without you.” I got that full quarter mile that she could watch me before she took off running full bore down the road. She didn’t stop when she reached me but instead ran another mile to the truck. A little spooky.
Another time on a camping trip my wife woke me in the middle of the night because she heard a horrific scream that she swears no known animal could make. I don’t know, I was asleep.

I like to watch the bigfoot hunting show on Animal Planet and laugh at the total lack of anything resembling scientific method. One episode they heard a tree fall for no apparent reason so of course it had to be bigfoot “because they do that ya know” I had to laugh because I have heard and even seen many snags fall for no reason. Last deer season though, I had just finished setting up camp and sat down with a beer to wait for my partner to show up. It was just before sunset and a tree fell a little distance behind me. I of course thought of that show but laughed it off. Then ten minutes later another tree fell a short distance from the first. I figured it might be a bear grubbing around in snags but then realized that I don’t know that it was a bear anymore than that bigfoot hunter knew it was a bigfoot. Then later my partner reminded me of another time we were hunting and saw a 20 foot high, 50 in. snag fall for no reason then heard an animal walking up through the brush away from it. We again assumed bear but we never saw a bear. So I want to believe and I wonder what I would do with the picture if I check my trail cam and there he was. I don’t know if I would share or keep it to myself and close friends.

I'll need to see a body as well . . . and, my dad (a very serious, skeptical, rational, furthest thing from a pot smoking, tall-tale, conspiracy theorist) has a story from when he was in his early twenties. In the mid-70's, hunting solo in the wilderness around Fort Campbell (KY, TN border), he found himself at the entrance to a cave that had what he could only describe as huge "Bigfoot" tracks (toes and all) in the snow going into it. He freaked and got the hell out of there as fast as he could and never went back, doesn't even like to talk about it. For what it's worth . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back