Big OTC bull

Oak

Expert
This summer 1_pointer decided that he wanted to come over and hunt cow elk in Colorado, and wondered if I could give any insight to the leftover tag list. I told him to buy a tag in the unit I was hunting and come along with me. I'm sure he had no idea what he was getting himself into. :D

The night before the opener, we glassed up 40 elk feeding on public land, including 12 legal bulls, two of which were 6x6's. We made a plan to sneak in on them opening morning, and it worked out perfectly. We were moving through a stand of quakies when cows and calves started "chirping" right out in front of us. Soon we could pick out bits and pieces of elk as them fed through the aspens: a leg here, an antler there. I glassed through the thick trees hoping to find one of the good bulls in a shooting lane.

Before long, I spotted a 6x6, but he didn't quite offer a perfect shot. Meanwhile, a cow had come into plain view right above us, but 1_pointer held off, hoping I could shoot the bull. Suddenly, they winded us or spotted us moving, because the whole herd took off and left us wondering what happened. I'm thankful that 1_p didn't beat me over the head with his rifle like I'm sure he wanted to. We didn't see another elk that day or the next two.

Sunrise on day three of the hunt:

Sunrise.jpg

By day four, we decided to split up to cover more country. I knew that with the hunting pressure and warm weather, I'd have to find the thickest, darkest, nastiest timber in the unit if I hoped to locate any elk. Sure enough, I stumbled into a herd of about 30 elk right at daylight. Instead of shooting a cow and filling my cow tag, I got greedy and shot this giant public land bull.

This bull would make a nice mule deer ;) :

09COelk1.jpg

When we got back to the truck with the last load of elk, I leaned the trekking pole that 1_pointer had loaned me up against my truck and forgot about it until the next morning when we pulled back into that parking spot and Tyler found it laying on the ground in the shape of a banana. Sorry about that, 1_p!

My greed got the better of me as the rest of the hunt, the only elk I saw was a single bull. Last night as we got into camp, 1_pointer noticed that one of the tires on my truck was hissing. A friend of mine taught me a trick a long time ago: when you don't really want to do something, you move very slowly and act like you don't know what you're doing. Eventually, somebody will jump in and take over. After 1_pointer finished changing my tire, we had some dinner and listened to the last World Series game on the radio before hitting the sack.

This morning we got up and broke camp, then headed down the mountain. I told 1_p that I would split the elk with him, so I threw a front and hind quarter into his cooler and poked a hole in the inside of his cooler with a leg bone. Sorry about that, 1_p!

We stopped in town to get gas before heading our seperate ways. It was then that I discovered that sometime in the previous 36 hours I had lost my wallet. We tore apart the cab of my truck and all of my bags of gear with no luck. So 1_p bought me $20 in gas and sent me on my way. I'll get ya back, 1_p!

So you're saying that in addition to jinxing your hunt, puncturing your tire, and taking half your elk, and stealing your wallet, pointer was too cheap to top off your gas tank?

Darn NR hunters......next thing you know they'll be shooting your cows. If you have any cows that is...

Oops...I'm getting my threads confused. Ok, enough is enough.

: )

"This bull would make a nice mule deer:"

Hey Oak don't poke fun at that size. I have a whole trophy room full of those 190 class bulls:D Thanks for a great story and congrats on that bull!!

Sounds like you treated 1. to an excellent time. I am sure he will remember it for quite a while. Congrats on your elk, he would have really been something if he wouldn't have had so many broken tines.:D:D

Very cool story Oak.

Sounds like 1_Pointer is a great guy for all the reasons of friendship. But man, bumming $20 from him is pushing the boundaries pretty hard. You did give him the tenderloins and backstraps for changing your tire, didn't you?

Congrats. The phone pics just showed up this afternoon. Not sure of the delay.

Thanks for sharing a great story.

Nice story Oak! Sounds like a great hunt. I've only got a few years of elk hunting under my belt unlike most of the guys around here including you. Each year I've hunted I've passed on the small bulls thinking the big one would be around the next corner. To show for it I've got lots of empty wall space where elk antlers should rest. I'd kill for a shot a a bull like that right now.

He should be great eating. Congrats!

Nice bull, he looked really fat, or really full. I had a couple of buds that I went lope hunting every fall for 10 years with. In the early years every time a animal was killed those two would walk around, wasting time, acting indifferent, well I'd get my knife out and gut the animal to move things alone. After five years or so I found out the tactic of slow motion, and indecisiveness was on purpose, to send me into gutting action.

Funny story Oak, congratulations on the bull. In spite of the confounding events, at least you saw elk, still beat the odds and came home with great steaks for the freezer. And, the 6x6 will be waiting for you next year (unless 1 pointer gets him first). :)

It does look like that fella was rubbing rock with his antlers instead of saplings. Tough son-of-a-gun.

Great story.Are all your tags filled yet or is there still hunting to be done?

What is important is................the bull is dead and you do not have to rely on the Bigshooter types for a years worth of protein:D

There was definitely a element of gayness in the air, in the county this last week:D

I would love to be a trophy elk hunter, but I just cannot stand the thought of no elk tacos for a year.

That's a smoking bull Oak, who needs Az !
But really, no cow for 1 Pointer ? I think your holding out.
And loosing your wallet ? How did you pay the trophy fees ?

Awesome write up Oak, sounds like 1_Pointer is exactly the kind of person a guy'd wanna share camp with.
Congrats on the bull too, still a branch antlered bull and a year's worth of great eating. I'd give my left nut for one like that about now.

What a great story and still a nice bull ! :)

Sounds like almost all of my hunts this year (especially with vehicles).:confused:

Great story Oak, and that still beats my best elk (she didn't have and head gear;) )

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back