Big Ones (photos)

Hands down the biggest dog I've ever killed...
picture.php

Wow you guys have taken some great animals

this is my biggest antelope not even close to being big by most standards but is to me
2011 WY leftover tag on Public Land
Stalked to within 150 yds shot with my Savage .308

Attachments

• hunttalk4.jpg
    hunttalk4.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,729
I only have two "big ones", excepting bears which I have ZERO pics of... killed a few big bears 20-30 yrs ago...dad has a few old pics...

My 11' Shiras killed not too far from Greenhorns.... maybe his distant cuz... 90 yards, 30-06, 46 wide grosses 155...nets 152.
109askew2.jpg

My 10' Bull... which is by far my most treasured critter. Hunted many, many hard years for a bull like this. Spent 7 hours wading through knee to crotch deep snow...cramping up by noon, but continued on...knew it was my last day hunting that year and knew the conditions were right to find a good bull... found him. 90 yards...06'... 24 inch 4ths...383 gross, 373 net...
MeBullSideSmileRSmorelight.jpg

Not sure where my muley pics are in all my photobucket albums, but nothing to speak of. Couple 130 bucks... Fun hunts... but haven't found the big guys yet! Same with lope, only killed 4 bucks so far and they are just lil'n's....

07? Whitey, Priest Lake, ID. 135 gross. 30-06...90 yards (I should say, I cant think of any recent kills that WEREN'T 90 yards! :0) )
Headongoodrs.jpg

Some great critters on here...

Biggest elk, from Wyoming in 2011. Probably my favorite, too, as I put in a whole lot of time scouting and found this bull 4 days before the season. Great stalk (crawl) across a pancake for a 100 yard shot with the .300 Wby

Suppose I'm breaking the rules with 2 photos. The evening before opening day:

NB-1.jpg

Second day of the season:

Big-4.jpg

Last edited:
Winner by default in the bear category

2010 MN Black Bear taken at seven yards on the ground with my bow right outside the minneapolis/ st paul metro area.

We drug him out as it was only 50 yds to a four wheeler path and took him to my family farm with walk in freezer and weighed him he dressed out at 168 lbs. Again not big but avg size bear taken in MN.

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,709
Kind of a tough one on antelope for me...have several that gross score in that 77-79 range.

I like this one, and IIRC, it grossed just over 80.

IMG_3125.JPG

My wifes biggest mule deer and antelope, both from Wyoming and both shot with a ruger #1 25/06.

patsmuledeer.JPG

Antelope was 80 6/8 net B&C, shot in 2007:

027.JPG

I have killed my share of critters but nothing like you guys. Here is my humble entries.

Black Bear - Dec. 5 2011 - West Virginia - Savage .270

bear2011.jpg

Antelope - Sept. 11 2011 - Wyoming - Savage .270

Pronghorn.jpg

Whitetail - Nov 2007 - West Virginia - Savage .270

deer.jpg

The pronghorn is probably my favorite. Got him back from the taxi real quick, here it is in my office

photo3.jpg

My best archery Dall ram. I love being able to say that. Alaska, Brooks Range 2008. I think 36 inches long and I can’t remember the bases.

One of my favorite stalks, I started hiking up the mountain around 10PM in my whites in plain sight of the rams. Around 2 am it was dark enough I couldn’t see my pins anymore and I was high enough to be out of their sight so I slept under a rock outcropping. It was freaking cold. After it got lighter I had to hike up a little more and then started crawling down above them. I crab crawled down to the 7 rams from 60-40 yards away and I couldn’t see the legal ram. I peaked up a little more and he was bedded 37 yards away right below me. I had to wait until he stood up. I must have sat there for an hour waiting, it was really neat. I remember thinking this must be what it is like to be a Dall ram. Laying there listening to stream below, rocks rolling down the hill and the big quiet from everywhere else. Sorry so long winded, better story than ram.

077_77.jpg

I've got to scan some better pics of this one onto my new computer.

Mathews Q2
35yds

402 4/8 gross and 395 0/8 typical net.

402.jpg

November 11, 1985 central Colorado. Used Mad Max at about 100 yards or so.

It was my first year and I was ready to rumble. The season was almost over and I didn’t have an elk yet. My father was busy feeding 5 mouths and didn’t want to take the day off work. I knew how to work the system and had to pull out the mom card and begged. So we get to go hunting! I'm pretty sure my dad was being a bit of a butthead and is hiking 100 miles an hour up some severely steep stuff to get even. I say screw that old man and sit down to eat something. I see what looks like a big boulder back down in the valley in the aspens. Through my scope (no one I knew carried binos) on 3 power it looks like a cow. I wave my father back down to me. He looks through his 4 power scope and sees the cow as well. Says yep and he starts back up the hill. I turn my scope to 9x and the cow now changes to a pretty decent bull. My father starts saying some choice words when he looks through my scope. Off we went. I will NEVER forget that day. Sadly, after another 19 bulls he is still the biggest. What a wind bag.

ScannedImage-42.jpg

I'm Muley snake bit so this is the best one.

Nov 2003. Mad Max @ 80 yards. 185 gross with all his good stuff, most of which you cannot see in this picture. Only 14" inside spread.

ScannedImage.jpg

Wyoming 2009 archery. 25 yards. I measured 78" and change right after, I've never measured him again dry

P1010363.jpg

My Dads nicest animals to date:

Wyoming antelope 2011, over 15 and scored 79ish.

DSCN7867.JPG

Dads best elk, shot several years ago in Montana, 30/06 220 yards. Bull had about 14 inches of an arrow and broadhead laying in a backstrap:

dadelk04.jpg

Dads best mule deer, one of the last hunts that my Dad, Gramps, Brother and I all did together:

Dadsbuck.JPG

Finally, my Dads first bighorn and best animal he's taken score wise...what a great day. Shot in Montana in 2005 with pre-64 model 70 30/06. Scored 183 6/8 gross and 183 3/8 net:

IMG_0726.JPG

My best goat (though Upper Deck tells me I passed better goats earlier that day!).

WY 2011

77" - Shot at 250 yards with 7MM

Upper Deck and I watched a ridiculous number of antelope in a creek bottom below us all evening. Towards dark this guy stood up in the tall sage and made himself known. It was a mad dash to close the distance before shooting light was gone. UD was watching the whole show through his spotting scope so I knew I couldn't biff the shot or I would never hear the end of it. Hunting buddies are like that! I CAN NOT WAIT TO GO BACK TO WY AND CHASE GOATS. FRICKEN' FUN TIMES!

Attachments

• IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,570

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back