Big NV Pronghorn

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Jereep, or Jerry as he has been known in the OYOA episodes, drew the Sheldon antelope tag here in NV. First time he applied, he drew the early season. Season opened this morning.

Jerry invited me, NVLonbow, and my Uncle, Elton, to join along. I got to camp late last night and came across two excited hunters in Jereep and Longbow. They had found a good buck a couple miles out in the sage flats just before dark.

When they told me what he looked like, I smiled and was glad to have driven the extra miles to be here for the morning hunt. Based on what they had explained of prongs, flare, and hooks, this sounded like one worth our time.

We were up and driving the dusty obsidian ridge roads well before dark. The amount of dust in this country always amazes me.

As the sun came up, it was determined that Jerry and I would head out into the basin and wait for the antelope to get from their beds. We headed east at a fast clip, trying to circle to the east side of where they saw the buck bed the night before. We wanted the sun at our back.

On our way, we spotted them already up and moving and we had not yet got to the east of them. We circled way south and and then made a big loop putting us on the east side. Longbow and Elton were now frantic, as unknown to us, the antelope on the bench above us had moved to a position 100 yards away. All we needed to do was pop over the greasewood edge and the shooting would be had.

Traversing just below the bench, Jerry and I were oblivious. After moving north about 200 yards, I told Jerry I was going to peek over the rim to see if I could locate the herd. I came eye to eye with Mr. Big immediately upon poking my head over the sage. Jerry probably thought I was joking as I frantically telling him to lock and load and get over to my position.

The herd had no use for our close presence. They bolted north and we watched as they stood out in the basin 1,000 yards to our north. We had no choice but to wait until they dropped into a small depression. That was our chance to hustle and make up some time.

Jerry trotted with his 7MM on his shoulder and I was carrying a tripod and camera with all the accessories that gave me new appreciation for what our camera guys go through.

Just as we thought we would find them in front of us, two vehicles parked above and glassed the events unfolding below. The antelope grew nervous with the racket of people 800 yards to their west and started our direction.

We had no choice in the flat low sage other than to find the tallest grass around. All of about 20" high and a 5' circle of it. Jerry dropped the bipod and loaded a bullet. I launched the tripod and started the camera in the area the antelope were headed.

The first doe took her group of 12 to the east, making it impossible for us to film or get a shot. Then came the big group.

The lead doe took the bigger group closer to us. They would be passing 300 yards across in front of us. Mr. Big was not to be found.

We searched frantically. Finally, he came running from the basin to the herd now snorting at us. He ran right into the middle of the group, splintering them in all directions, leaving him standing alone.

I frantically tried to focus in the low sun at the long distance. Jerry was struggling to get the bipod high enough to clear the short crest in front of us.

Finally he told me he was going to shoot. The buck was quartering to us as his friends nervously started milling away.

I was trying my best to get a focus. The shot rang and I heard the impact of the bullet. I stood and could see the bucks feet in the air.

Back slaps and handshakes were in order. Longbow and Elton had watched it all from above and were quickly making tracks across the sage to our position.

It is a great buck. If you like prongs and flare, you will like this one.

Thanks to Jerry for inviting me to be here. Thanks to Longbow for all the work he put into this hunt and bringing his camper and jeep. It was a hunt to remember.

Here are a few pics before I head to deer camp to do more scouting.

IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_5368.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5385.JPG

Short hunt and successful. Don't get any better than that. Congrats on a great buck.

Awesome buck! I love the "V" shape he's got. Congrats to all. IS this one going to be a tv show or a web episode? Either way, can't wait to see it.

Great looking buck congrads to all. Looks like the luck is following you so far in the 2010 season, keep up the hard work.

Looks like everyone is doing good on the antelope this year.Great buck.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back