Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Big Ears strikes!

devon deer

@Big Ears has been deer stalking with me for years, he got his first Roe Buck, Fallow Buck and Red stag with me, and we paired up for our Montana hunt in 2018, we have had some great times out hunting.

Right from the start we hit it off, and I could tell he would be great company, including Woodcock/Pheasant shooting and Trout fishing, he had a great hunting dog called ‘Dougal’ a labradoodle.

Whilst the red stags have just about finished rutting the Fallow are still going for it, so the farmer text me yesterday informing me they were still ‘grunting’, the same farm where Stephen shot his last week.

We took the same route in to the farm as there was little wind (well there was but I’ll get to that!), but no deer, and all was quiet, this was going to be interesting.
At the very far end of the farm there are 3 houses, so a shot in that direction is never an option, so we looked up from the steep valley bottom into the dark timber, nothing but squirrels!
So we commenced a very slow stalk, lots of glassing, and just the occasional doe with fawn.
Then we both stopped and looked at each other, we whispered ‘did you hear that?’ Right at the very top we could hear the clash of antlers, then the triumphant buck ‘grunting'.
We reassessed and formulated a new plan, Big ears led with me following, as started to get closer the deer numbers increased, and so did the tension, so much so the wind I mentioned earlier made an unexpected appearance, as walking up the steep hill under the trees caused the guy in front of me to let out a squeaky fart! :ROFLMAO:
I will never know how I contained my laughter, but on we went.

The problem was a young Fallow buck, a typical teenager causing trouble, he saw us, and kept us frozen in the same position before he decided the game was up and ran off barking an alarm, which thankfully the remaining deer ignored.

But it was getting dark now, around 30 minutes after sunset, we had to move to the noise, I stayed put and watched, and to my amazement the buck presented himself through a gap broadside to me, an easy shot, but I looked to my left and the bucks shift in position hadn’t gone unnoticed and Big ears rifle was on the sticks, the Blaser K95 Kipplauf 7x57 barked, the buck never knew what hit it, straight down, with still a bunch of grass in it’s mouth, and more than that only 50 yards from a farm track, well done mate, your best Fallow buck to date.
20201022_184921.jpg

This is the land where the Fallow frequent

Screenshot 2020-10-23 at 10.29.13.png

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
@Big Ears has been deer stalking with me for years, he got his first Roe Buck, Fallow Buck and Red stag with me, and we paired up for our Montana hunt in 2018, we have had some great times out hunting.

Right from the start we hit it off, and I could tell he would be great company, including Woodcock/Pheasant shooting and Trout fishing, he had a great hunting dog called ‘Dougal’ a labradoodle.

Whilst the red stags have just about finished rutting the Fallow are still going for it, so the farmer text me yesterday informing me they were still ‘grunting’, the same farm where Stephen shot his last week.

We took the same route in to the farm as there was little wind (well there was but I’ll get to that!), but no deer, and all was quiet, this was going to be interesting.
At the very far end of the farm there are 3 houses, so a shot in that direction is never an option, so we looked up from the steep valley bottom into the dark timber, nothing but squirrels!
So we commenced a very slow stalk, lots of glassing, and just the occasional doe with fawn.
Then we both stopped and looked at each other, we whispered ‘did you hear that?’ Right at the very top we could hear the clash of antlers, then the triumphant buck ‘grunting'.
We reassessed and formulated a new plan, Big ears led with me following, as started to get closer the deer numbers increased, and so did the tension, so much so the wind I mentioned earlier made an unexpected appearance, as walking up the steep hill under the trees caused the guy in front of me to let out a squeaky fart! :ROFLMAO:
I will never know how I contained my laughter, but on we went.

The problem was a young Fallow buck, a typical teenager causing trouble, he saw us, and kept us frozen in the same position before he decided the game was up and ran off barking an alarm, which thankfully the remaining deer ignored.

But it was getting dark now, around 30 minutes after sunset, we had to move to the noise, I stayed put and watched, and to my amazement the buck presented himself through a gap broadside to me, an easy shot, but I looked to my left and the bucks shift in position hadn’t gone unnoticed and Big ears rifle was on the sticks, the Blaser K95 Kipplauf 7x57 barked, the buck never knew what hit it, straight down, with still a bunch of grass in it’s mouth, and more than that only 50 yards from a farm track, well done mate, your best Fallow buck to date.
View attachment 159108

This is the land where the Fallow frequent

View attachment 159109

Cheers

Richard
The senderos are too crooked mate....

How long after dark is it legal to shoot game in England? Or is there even a cut-off? Just curious. In the US the time varies by state, species, season, and weapon type.

Edit: 30 mins after sunset is the most common in the US

How long after dark is it legal to shoot game in England? Or is there even a cut-off? Just curious. In the US the time varies by state, species, season, and weapon type.

Edit: 30 mins after sunset is the most common in the US
1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset, that's when good optics come into play.

However, under certain rare circumstances there is a department called Natural England, you can apply to shoot during the night, but the licences are rarely issued, more readily issued in Scotland.

So might have seen this photo before, but this is the lovely rifle he used.
IMG_20200115_161222820_HDR.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset, that's when good optics come into play.

However, under certain rare circumstances there is a department called Natural England, you can apply to shoot during the night, but the licences are rarely issued, more readily issued in Scotland.

So might have seen this photo before, but this is the lovely rifle he used.
View attachment 159160

Cheers

Richard
Nothing says haute couture better than red necklaced magnetized cheater frames ...damn that schmidt & bender'd Blaser is gorgeous.

Nothing says haute couture better than red necklaced magnetized cheater frames ...damn that schmidt & bender'd Blaser is gorgeous.
Those glasses get everywhere! 🙈Thanks for the comments about the rifle. Got to say it is a dream to shoot with 162gr ammo it drops everything with mild manners. I’m becoming a fan of the 7x57, or should I call it a 275 Rigby🤔

Back