big dude sleeping bag?

MThuntr

I'm a big guy so when it comes to finding gear I struggle especially when looking for lighter backpacking stuff. I'm working on the weight issue and am slowly making progress but I highly doubt that I'll be able to fit in a regular sleeping bag. 90% of the time i have to unzip a bag most of the way and sleep under it.

Anybody have a preferred big guy sleeping bag that doesn't weigh too much?

How about a backpacking quilt?

Completely understand, I have a big man slumberjack for car camping (looked on their website for model, but didn't see it), it's a modified mummy bag, so the foot area is more square, but it's just too bulky for backpacking though.

For backpacking I use a marmot semi rectangular bag - extra long (again, checked website and couldn't find my exact model) it's a 25 degree goose down though. The semi rectangular fits me a lot better, and if it's just really cold, I sleep with a fleece hat.

When winter camping (boy scouts mostly) I will stick the marmot inside the slumberjack and sleep like a baby; tested to -25 degrees, not recommended to get up and pee in the middle of the night.

Picked up a Kelty Cosmic Down 0* a couple years ago. Being a fitful somewhat claustrophobic sleeper I had my doubts about a mummy but no problems with it so far. Prior bag was a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Long...mucho roomy.

I doubt many posters here are more round than I and I can fit in a Big Agnes bag from their Classics line. It's a semi-rectangle bag. They have models light enough to pack as well.

One of my best hunting buddies is a 6'4" beast that has struggled with this issue for several years. Bought himself a Big Agnes (like 1_pointer mentioned) and I believe the model is the Spike Lake. Weighs around 2.5lbs and he now packs it into the backcountry and sleeps well.
-Cody

Thanks guys, it looks like Big Agnes has a pretty good lineup for fat guy bags. I think I'll look more into the Lost Ranger or Storm King. They weigh around 3-3.5lbs...that seems about as good as it gets for bigger bags.

The Elk Hunter made by Teton is good to -35. 90inches long and 39 wide for about $ 130. They come with right or left zippers so two can be connected. Not light . I have two, one for the hunt, and one to survive in a vehicle.

I bought a Marmot Sawtooth a couple of years ago and have only used it on a few hunts. Its an OK bag, not what I was expecting however. Its rated to 20* and I did get quiet cold on a hunt last year with temps around 25* at night. I used it last weekend and was fine with lows at 35-38*, so I assume that is my comfort level. It comes in many different configurations, regular and tall, right and left zip. Weight is under 3 lbs. http://marmot.com/products/details/sawtooth-new

I am also in the clydesdale class, and for the last few years I have been using a Sierra Designs Zissou 12 (long), and it does pretty good for me, and is light enough to backpack with and the drydown works!

I'm not sure if anyone has investigated backpacking quilts but that's also an option that I've recently discovered. I sleep on my side or my belly so the standard sleeping bag usually doesn't work anyway so I'm opting for Enlightened Equipment's Revelation 10 degree quilt. I probably won't get it until after the season is over.

Just a heads up on the Big Agnes bags. I took my wife's to ID as mine has lost a bit of loft in the 10 years I've used it. Mine is the Long and her's is the regular. FWIW, if you are bigger you might want to go with the Long. I don't need the extra length, but the Long is also bigger around in the shoulders and hips. Something I learned this week...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back