Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Big bucks management?

"I never hold their hands Marlin, maybe that's what you like, " no, I won't pay some self important dick to lead my ass to an animal.

Don't bother addressing me again, and I'll return the favor.

Tom your barking up the wrong tree, 99% of the guys here think your a joke and a wart on the face of real hunting.

Like gunner said.... I would quit hunting before I resorted to what you have described

Real men can wipe their own ass!!!!!
A guided hunt out here for deer or elk is nothing like what you are doing, so don't even try to compare the two.
You would actually still have to break a sweat

Michael, 99% of the guys here probably don't know me. Probably, 99% of the guys here have no idea what I'm talking about either. I'm sure a lot of people think a lot of things are a joke, it helps us not think about it much, just sluff it off as a joke. For example, I think a lot of your reasoning is a joke. I'm sure you're a nice guy and if I got to know you, I would think different. Its just the things posted are a very limited piece of what you are.

Marland, can't take the heat, eh, I just returned your comment with a similar one. Sorry, it seems you took it so personal, I just answered it pretty factually to try and focus on facts, instead of emotions.
Are you saying you would never pay a guide? Have you ever? I don't know what kind of hunting you do, what do you hunt mostly?

You gave me the idea that it might be good to collect a percentage of those ranch prices on hunts for the state wildlife, but that would be very hard to enforce and to monitor probably as it varies so much. I guess that's why the state just has a flat liscense to allow that type of thing.

Oh, yeah, Michael, we swet every minute out here. Its a 100 degrees a lot, ever hunted in weather like that? I got a kidney stone from dehydration a few years back, doing this so much. It was then that I learned to put bottled water all over the place on the ranch.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-04-2003 08:32: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

No Tom it isn't about taking the heat. Rad the way you described it. You do everything for those guys short of pulling the trigger.The animals aren''t their kills their yours.

I was dissing them. Notice in my first post I did not attack you, I did attack your "hunters". I did question how much of those long dollars went towards the FUTURE of hunting IE:how much went to wildlife.

I made a joke about spending that much on something most people can shoot for the price of a tag in their home state. That is, IF they are willing to put in some time.

I WAS among the 1% Michael alluded to.

But you keep posting about those hunts knowing full well about the other 99% then get defensive when they tell you AGAIN their opinion. That's about the same as if an anti-hunter came in and got mad that everyone dog-piled.

No I've never been on a guided big game hunt, I seriously doubt I will either, I make the necessary sacrifices in my lifestyle to properly persue the game I desire to hunt, because I am a HUNTER. I did ,once, go to a pheasant club at the request of the manager who was a friend of mine, and if there is any comparison, it's not hunting. But I do believe all factions of hunting need to stick together.

Tom, you would get better results if you advertised in the wall street journal, not here. I have been reading this topic since you first posted. What you don't relize is most of the guys on here are here for the comarardry (sp?)of other hunters, and the info about differant game animals and differant parts of the country. If we all went on your kind of hunt there would be know need for forums like this one. I found this forum while researching an Idaho elk hunt for this fall. No I didn't hire an outfitter. What I have done is spent many an hour on the computer and the phone looking into the hunt, to me that is a big part of hunting. I have done more "scouting" in Idaho from the computer than I want to addmitt, but if I kill an elk this fall you wont be able to pry the smile off of my face. How do your cliants feel after they kill one of your pet deer? I don't think anybody on this board wants one of your "canned" hunts, or one of your "pet" deer. I would just as soon kill a hundered basket racks to one of your so called "trophys".

just my .02

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gar man:
... What you don't relize is most of the guys on here are here for the comarardry (sp?)of other hunters, and the info about differant game animals and differant parts of the country. ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gar man, you are finding out about different game in different parts of the country with this post. You are interacting and doing some comradery here.
If you went on one of those hunts I describe, you would experience both of those in real life, comradery and game in different parts of the country, not just the computer. This group here had a big group down here for an economical ram hunt and a spring turkey bow hunt a few years back. It was lots of comradery and game from different parts of the country for most. People from like a dozen different states came for it, it was fun.

I hope you get an elk in Idaho on public land but I know you're likely to enjoy it either way too. I did a few years back, get one and enjoy it. I like the Idaho elk season. First bulls, then either cow or bull, with the same tag. I like that. Its pretty far from here though, so I don't do it much.

Thanks Marlin, it puts a perspective on it for me. I've had a guide on more economical hunts here for exotics in the off season, but I like hunting on my own better. I like the variety too, but a guide is expensive sometimes. Sorry if I took your post the wrong way.

Tom , these guys have NO idea of what kind of operations these ranches are down here. They think they are some kind of "pissbucket" sized operations. My neighbor east has 30k acres and the one west is 10k acres. Most of the high fenced ranches are far bigger in area than most people cover when they hunt on forrest land. The cover is huge oaks , mesquite, cedar, and oh yes prickly pear and is VERY dense which most except for the other southerners and some easterners cannot vision.Plenty places you can't see 3 feet. Even the high fenced hunts are NO sure thing. Show one of these guys a 30" axis and bet even the hard heads would have a hard time turning him down.To each his own, what ever type hunting you do ,hope you ALL have MANY MORE seasons. Ol Bob

bob and tom,,,,,,,"Even the high fenced hunts are NO sure thing",,,,,,,if this is true then you Texas boys had never better try a real hunt

Anyone willing to pay for any kind of hunting is obviously more concerned with the kill than the hunt. When an animal is down most celibrate, I am bummed because my hunt is over. Part-timers wouldn't understand.

What's next, running bucks into a squeeze chute, measuring them up and discussing a price before the "hunter" who sets in his lazy boy in airconditioned comfort downs him. Or will the guy even have to get out of the limo? Are they going to get so lazy that they have someone else shoot the animal for them and they'll check them out later?

This so called hunting is doing no honor for the people doing the shooting, running the operation and most important the animal your taking. Why not shoot a cow? They are just as easy, a lot more meat and cheaper. It couldn't be how proud they are of a rack they didn't earn and I am not talking about money.

Based on some opinions

Then I guess I shouldnt enter into the controlled hunts for some areas that are fenced in? The Ravenna Arsenal here is a totally fenced in area but it is not a sure thing either.

I hunted with Tom at the Exotics hunt last year and would do so again. But I aint paying $4500 to do it. So I am a 1% then.

I like taking my wife to Texas Hunting Blinds by the way
tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nut:
Based on some opinions

Then I guess I shouldnt enter into the controlled hunts for some areas that are fenced in? The Ravenna Arsenal here is a totally fenced in area but it is not a sure thing either.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO there's a difference between a population control hunt in an area where the deer aren't subsidized for the express purpose of making money and a fenced in area where they are bred, fed, and price tagged for commercial ventures.

In other words Nut ,the high fence wasn't put up to keep the deer in , they just happened to be there when it was. Big difference from where I stand.

And Bob does have a point, too, in that a 30,000 acre ranch doesn't quite seem the same as a smaller fenced operation. I've never hunted either and can't comment with authority, but I know that an animal can disappear pretty easily in 100 acres, so I should think 30,000 would provide an acceptable challenge, fence or not.
confused.gif
But there's still quite a difference in hunting a fenced operation and being led to a particular animal. The two aren't necessarily the same.

who cares what someone does with their ranch[private property] i have never payed for a guide, but i might,Tom and his people have every right to do whatever type of hunt they want, or maybee youd rather the turn there land into an offroad vehicle park! it`s not real hunting in my opinion, but if you got a chance to outlaw it would you? it sound`s like many of you would! and if that`s the case then you are a fool! if any of you bait for bear, are you a hippocrit, think about it. I don`t agree with a thing you say! but i will defend to the death your right to say it [VOLTARE]

Hey 280, what do you think of the Texas state record archery buck? I posted a link to a story on that. It scored over 230. It was a real hunt, walk in, no bait, bow, public land, and its the state record. The state record is not some high fence protein fed buck harvested at his optimum age on a rich guys ranch. There's lots of different kinds of ways to hunt here.

Hey 280, what do you think of the Texas state record archery buck? ,,,,,,,,,,,Tom is this like "military intelligence",,to me the Texas state record should be listed in the Guiness Book of records listed next to the hot dog eating champ

To you, eh. You can't even accept the kind of hunt you like here, because there is also a hunt that you don't like. Is that it? Its not a very pro hunting position to take, as I see it. I would have thought you would support the kind of hunting you like here and discourage the kind you don't like here, or else just accept the kind you don't like as someone else's "cup of tea", not yours. That is what I would think, if you were to take a pro hunting position. Your position is more like an anti-hunter, whittle away at a lot of hunting, but keep eating meat, etc. That's the way it seems to me.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back