Caribou Gear Tarp

Big bucks management?

Its my understanding that the state of Montana pays private landowners, they call it block management, I think, to have public access to their land. It sounds like that may be supported by you or is it not? I don't think you pay a tresspass fee, but you pay the state for access to it, right?, your hunter dollar there goes toward it, something like that.

Texas has public hunting on private land also, we pay like $40 for the map booklet of where it all is, what kind of hunting we get there, what the dates are, what, if any special restrictions there are, (like no ATVs), info. like that. I don't believe any of those have high fence.

Does that sound supportable to you or not?

Texas also has some public draw hunts, a few, on a high fence place of thousands of acres. Most of the draw hunts here are not on a high fence place, the overwhelming majority of them.

I don't buy your bloodbath argument, because not enough detail was given. There are thousands of free ranging animals like you described here. Killing a lot doesn't stop it from being hunting, killing those animals doesn't stop it from being hunting. I know there's lots of different conditions that meet your description and many could be hunting, at least to me.

Thanks for the response.

Michaelr,

You took things out of context, but I understand it puts a bad taste in your mouth, as you said.

Damn I think I will do the same back in the wilderness area

You can do that and I've been on a hunt where just that was done, food anyway, not water, there were streams to get water from, but food was stashed on scouting hikes in the off season, to be used during the hunt.

What you may not realize, is I got the kidney stone, from the guiding, that you say contributes to the bad taste in your mouth? I didn't get it in the wilderness.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey 280, what do you think of the Texas state record archery buck? I posted a link to a story on that. It scored over 230. It was a real hunt, walk in, no bait, bow, public land, and its the state record.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so are you saying the other hunts aren't real???

No, I'm not saying they are not real. I was trying to get a realization into people's minds, that don't know, that there are hunts here that meet every criteria of what the purists call a real hunt.

That's just the state record archery buck from such a hunt, so its a big part of hunting here, those public hunts.

The only thing that could have made it more pure is to do it with a longbow instead of a compound bow.

The other hunts are real too. Some are easier than others, but that's true with any kind of hunting, some are hard, some are easy.

Look at Elkhunter's free ranging bear hunt this year. Congratulations to him! He got it in a tree in his back yard, as I understand it. Was it real hunting? We always use that phrase, you got to be at the right place at the right time. He was.

Tom, killing 12 animals in two days aint a bloodbath? Pretty much anytime they wanted to see a critter die, they did.

I'd say that ranch was pretty typical of any others I've seen advertised by you or anyone else. It was big.

Maybe its just a Montana thing, as they all found it easy to whack the crap out of those exotics.

The MT block management is funded through the sale of outfitter sponsored NR licenses. Theres a pretty big difference between leasing or paying for hunting to gain exclusive rights than there is to the F&G funding access to private lands for the PUBLIC. Of course, you'll grasp at any straw to defend the pay to play theory of Texas hunting. Well, sorry Tom, but its messed up, and I dont want that type of hunting to spread out of Texas, you can keep it there.

If it was a bloodbath, its what they chose. The owner asked them to kill a bunch of animals, so they did.

I've learned a good way to hunt a ranch like that, is to look for the biggest one you can find, pass on a lot of them that you see all the time. That's what could make a place like that a hunt. For me, its similar to your point in the other thread. You hunt the mature ones, that makes it more of a hunt. If you shoot the first one you see or everyone you see, its more of a bloodbath. Both could be hunting though. If a guy has 5 tags and he's goes hunting and shoots the first 5 legal animals he sees, it could be considered a bloodbath and it could be considered hunting. That's the way I'm looking at it.

Some hunters, hunt with better style, I see that two. Sometimes a hunter goes on a bloodbath hunt, sometimes they go on a longbow hunt walking into the wilderness, with what they carry on their back. They both are hunting, just different styles, in my view.

Tom, my buddy and the other guys who hunted that place all killed mature blackbucks, audads, mouflon, axis, and fallow, I'd guess most if not all were texas record book quality, like thats a big thing.

Hunting on those farms is Texas is a piece of cake, hell no, its easier than that, more like a can of corn...which you can always use for bait.

Well, that means that place had a lot of those animals. Did they get the biggest ones there? I still don't know what ranch you're talking about, what kind of conditions it was. The way you describe it sounds very wierd to me, not normal at all. Without more details its very hard to discuss. Do you have any pictures of these animals? Did they sell out the ranch, is that what it was? Sometimes people shoot out, even a good ranch here, just because they are loosing access to it. Its not the most ethical thing to do, but its done sometimes. This story almost sounds like that. Somebody was shooting out a ranch and leaving and didn't care what animals they left. I just have no idea what kind of hunt you are talking about. I wouldn't like going on a hunt to shoot out a good ranch. I'd have to be pretty convinced that the new owner wanted the animals gone to go do something like that. What did your budies do with all the animals they shot? With the meat? With the heads?

Tom, the ranch was not shot out, and yes I think they killed about the best animals on the place.

The guy doesnt run an outfitting business or anything like that, he also still owns the place.

Yes, I've seen the pictures, and yes, I can get some of them.

The group that went down would typically shoot critters until 2 pm or so, then butcher them until dark. At the end of the shooting, they just split up the meat, and all went home with a wagonload. Most people kept the heads, a few had them mounted.

Its strange, even to me, being down here. Its some rich guy, giving away animals, buying animals, giving away animals. It takes a big blackbuck many years to get big, a big aoudad many years to get big, a big axis, 5-6 years to get big. What you're describing is very strange to me.

Buzz,
Have you ever personally been to Texas?
Have you ever personally hunted Texas?
Have you ever looked at a map to see how big Texas is?

I am going to assume that the answer to that is no. Okay, now that is established, are you that ignorant that you would think that all of Texas private land hunting is the same?

I think it is great that you hunt on public land and seem to be good at it. Congradualtions. You should take pride in your hunting. But who do you think you are that you can come on here and stereotype Texas hunting like that? It takes a hell of a man to talk that big through a keyboard.

I know people who hunt in and are from Oregon and Wyoming. They don't get to hunt what they want every year b/c they don't get drawn. Is that right? I get buck tags every year over the counter. If I want to kill a trophy buck, a lot of the opportunities are too expensive. But we'll both agree that hunting shouldn't be about horns. I will be the first to say that prices in Texas are too high, but outfitters are everywhere.......and they are growing. Cattle ranches in Texas have been saved b/c of hunting.

If you are going to keep that attitude, then stay the hell out of Texas cause we don't want you.

"If you are going to keep that attitude, then stay the hell out of Texas cause we don't want you."

I doubt that Buzz will have any problem staying the hell out of Texas.
wink.gif

I understand how Woodrow feels a little and he's just trying to keep Buzz healthy and alive with his bit of sharp advice there it seems to me.

But, I hope Buzz does come to Texas, not for his favorite hunt, no doubt, but to see part of it for himself.

Here's a tidbit about the size of Texas. Look at the King ranch web site. Its a Texas ranch celebrating its 150 year anniversary next month. Its bigger than Rhode Island, that ranch, down on the coastal side at the tip of south Texas.
smile.gif

Damn.....!!! That Woodrow sure isn't very neighborly. His first post at Moosie's and he tells Buzz to stay out of Texas....
eek.gif

Now Buzz will just have to resign himself to hunting Wyoming and Montana.... I wonder if he will be able to find himself a nice doe to shoot, or maybe even a cow Elk...
wink.gif

Tom,
Just out of curiosity, why do you think any of us care about how big Texas is, or how big some ranch in Texas is???
rolleyes.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-18-2003 06:36: Message edited by: ElkGunner ]</font>

Hey guys, I know I came across rude, but the guy had Texas pegged as bad from the get go. That ain't right since I am sure he has never been here.

I agree that wasn't neighborly to tell him he wasn't wanted in Texas, fact is, if he had an open mind I would love for him to come............but if he came with that outlook, he would only see what he wants to see.

Elkgunner, Many members seem to care about hearing about other places besides their own private place. Woodrow, Buzz is known as being pretty opionated here. If he didn't come accross that way, people might worry if he was doing ok or not. Welcome to you, hope you like it!

Buzz opinionated! say it ain`t so, by the way where is he? i miss his one-sided,often misguided,sometimes right-on the money, alway`s intellectual, sometimes wrong,sometimes 3/4 right opinion`s! Damn he remind`s me of a younger me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back