Best youth model rifle

Rooster52

Going to be looking for my youngest grandson{ 11 years old} a rifle for deer season this year.Thinking maybe the Ruger American ,243 or 7mm08.The rifle must be clip fed.Kind of limits the choices.
Any other sugjestions ?

I'm on a similar quest, with the possible complication of needing a left-handed gun. Right now I'm looking at Savage model 11 trophy hunter xp youth as one possibility, it does have detachable box magazine.

Well, I just went through all of this looking for a second youth rifle. I have a Ruger M77 for the first son, love it, but it's the older style m77. So when I went researching for another youth rifle i first looked at Ruger's M77 hawkeye. Turns out that Ruger has been using two different metals for their bolts, and the bolts like to hang up when cycled anything other then a light pressure. I checked five different guns in two shops and they all did it. So I did some reading and found out its a very common problem because of the different metals used.

Here's a video someone posted of what I'm talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DvFWNQofY

I ended up handling a lot of light short barreled rifles and settled on the savage 11 lightweight hunter. I have been very happy with it so far. My only grip is Savage's classic heavy bolt lift, but there are aftermarket kits to lessen the tension if I want.

Years ago I bought my son a Mossberg youth Bantam .308 it comes with a 20" barrel its bolt action. No problems with it. He's taken two cows and two does with it. Good luck.

First of all I feel the 7mm-08 is a much better overall caliber, without a doubt that is the caliber I would go with. I went through this last year when looking for a rifle for my wife. I went into the store thinking i would probably buy a ruger american but came out with a tc venture compact. They had and likely will again have a $75 rebate getting it a lot closer price wise to the ruger but i felt the fit n finish was far superior with the tc. We put a nikon prostaff 5 scope on it and it drives tacks even with cheap factory hornady ammo. I personally have a remington model 7 and really like it, but the remingtons i looked at in the same price range were really poor quality and didn't have a clip at all. The savage 11 would probably be pretty nice as well, however not impressed with the axis. Depending on budget a browing xbolt in the compact version would also be a great choice. Good luck with your decision, always great to see youngins getting into hunting!

Remington is making the model 7 in stainless synthetic again. I haven't seen one in person so I can't speak for these current rifle's quality. But I do have an older M7 stainless/syn in 7-08 and its and excellent little rifle. Would be perfect for a starter rifle. I plan on passing mine down to my boy in a few years.

I started out with a Win 94 .30-30 with iron sights and a steel butt plate. That has got to be some form of child abuse today, right?? Anything mentioned above would have sure been sweet! I did kill an elk with that old .30-30 though. Anyway I don't have much to add i guess , this thread just made me think of that old rifle.

Last edited:
I have two old Marlin 30-30,they both shoot great ,but do not think they would be a good starter rifle for my grandson.Eventually will be selling these Marlins as none of us use them anymore .

Will be considering soon with 6 young grandsons of laddered ages. The oldest shows little interest but the rest seem eager. 2nd oldest has taken a buck with a regular sized 700 .243. A 7-08 Montana in my safe is waiting for one of them. I'll start adding shortly.

Last edited:
My son will probably be getting a Ruger American for this fall. However, I plan on buying the full size model and purchasing the compact stock (if needed) seperately. His will be in 243 due to silly rifle laws in Indiana and I'm thinking the extra 4" of barrel will cut down on the blast. Muzzle blast seems to be a bigger issue for him than physical recoil.

My son is only a year old as of yesterday, but I plan on buying a compact model for my wife to use and transition my lil man to it down the road. I am going with either a Ruger M77 Compact or an older Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. I have had no problems with the two M77 Hawkeyes I own and really like them. The older Remington's were great quality, but the new ones are very lackluster in my opinion. I know the savages and ruger Americans shoot well, but I want a quality rifle my son can pass down to his son to use someday...

Savage Axis youth in 7mm-08. My grandson got one for Christmas. Came with Bushnell scope. Cost Santa $345.00. Shoots sub moa with Hornady Lite reduced recoil ammo. He shot his first deer with it the first morning he took it hunting. Only negative is the trigger pull is a little heavy, but I have heard it can be reduced.

edited to include: The rifle comes with a coupon that can be used as a discount to purchase a full size stock for when the owner "grows up".

Last edited:
Travis started with a Rem Model 7 in youth. When he grew larger I just bought the adult stock which he uses to this day and he loves that gun.
attachment.php

attachment.php

One other thing i would add about the tc venture is that it comes with a spacer to make the stock longer when the time comes that it is needed instead of replacing the whole thing. Would be great for a kid who will probably out grow it someday.

I bought my 12 year old daughter a Savage youth Axis 7mm-08 and love it. It shoots nice tight groups and she killed her first deer ever with it last fall a nice 4x3 mule deer buck at 238 yards in one shot.

Back