Best Water Bladder on the Market?

Seems like there is always a better mousetrap out there. I have no idea how many water bladders I've been through, but its a bunch. The only must have for me is a bite valve with a manual shut-off... and bring a spare they get ripped off in the brush at times.

The zip tops are nice if you don't need to filter water, otherwise, you're just filtering into a larger hole. When cold they can be an absolute PITA to get zipped up, and its always fun when your fingers are numb/cold and they slip off the sharp edges. I'll never buy another one.

I've come full circle and use the the Platypus bags with a screw top. The hose fits on, my back up filter screws on, and a cap screws on... they fold flat to nothing, light, etc. I have 6-8 of them, they last for years.

Don't spend a dime on Camel back, they suck, and taste like plastic. Nothing worse than having to choke down plastic water... New/old, doesn't matter I've tried them then and recently, will never use one again.

I recently had a hydrapak that lasted about a year before springing a leak. I’ll probably go back to Platypus, that’s what I’ve had the best luck with. I’m waiting for Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch to produce a suitably insulated bladder for beer on tap out of your backpack. That would be a game changer for spring bear.

Don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned yet, but I’ve been using the same black ovis 2L bag for 5-6 years and really like it. You can get them fairly cheap off of camofire from time to time.
Matt
C18208BB-6119-4389-9DC2-6CE6993E3960.png

MSR Dromedary and a Nalgene for me.
I avoid hoses unless it’s a day trip in warm weather.
Use hoses cautiously. It isn’t if, but when they will fail. If they soak your shit inside your bag on a bad weather backpack hunt you’re in trouble.

So does everybody that have been running the same bladder for years lube their o ring every few months? It seems like that may be my problem. Just found this out and it was news to me.

MSR Dromedary and a Nalgene for me.
I avoid hoses unless it’s a day trip in warm weather.
Use hoses cautiously. It isn’t if, but when they will fail. If they soak your shit inside your bag on a bad weather backpack hunt you’re in trouble.
+1 for the MSR Dromedary bags and good ol' nalgene bottles.
SmartWater bottles are the UL answer to nalgene.

Back