PEAX Equipment

Best Water Bladder on the Market?

I've only used MSR and the ones I got from Kennetrek. Kennetreks came with Kevlar cover on tubes,2ltr. Neither have worn out and fit my filter pump & bottles. MSR,clear/white can get funky,but clean up.Dromadary bag is great.

Been running a Source bladder for years. They are well built and never had a leak or problem.

What makes a good water bladder is one that never leaks. I am sure many fall in this category, but many also don't. Some are plain :poop:
For years I have been using the Wacool 3L hydration pack bladder. It has never leaked and it has an insulated hose. It's also just ~$20. Not saying this is the best, just stating my positive experience with it over the years. Don't see any reason to change.

After reading around on some other threads and perusing the internet I've come to the realization that the water bladder market is more complicated than I thought.

What water bladder does everyone recommend?
Any certain brand, closure style, insualted hose? etc.
11-12 day sheep hunt (11 day actual - planned 12) I took Platypus and my buddy took MSR. I got the filter kit, etc as did he. No real difference. I like the Platypus overall more but I liked his click in system for his filters/bags/etc.

Platypus sure is getting a lot of love.

Anyone run a sawyer squeeze filter in line on the hose? If so are you filling the bladder with already cleaned water or straight from a source?

Platypus sure is getting a lot of love.

Anyone run a sawyer squeeze filter in line on the hose? If so are you filling the bladder with already cleaned water or straight from a source?

I have. Unless they have changed back to original 28mm threads a Sawyer screwed directly onto the Platypus will leak. I stopped using Platypus after they changed to none standard threads. Unless/until they change back to standard 28 mm threads I will not use them.

They used to be water bottle threads (28 mm), so any Dasani or Evion lids would thread right on. More importantly, water filters would connect directly. Not anymore, so I don't use them, except for the all in one Platypus Hoser that I already have.

Cnoc Vecto dual opening is my standard bladder system now. 28 mm thread on one end and full zip on the other. I'm on my third year with two of these and no leaks or issues. I use 2 and 3 liter bladders.
CNOC_2018-3_668x668.jpg
Cnoc_Vecto_Water_Container_Bladder_Backpacking_Thru_Hiking_-_FEATURE_1024x.jpg

Last edited:
I have the camelbak military one? with the insulated hose and the bottle style external lid, platypus, MSR, etc.

There are like 4-5 or something different ones floating around our house, between friends and family I think I’ve used pretty much everything on the market.

Honestly, 6 one way have a dozen the other on various brands, I like 3L or bigger for hunting.

One exception these are garbage, they will absolutely leak or explode on you. If I buy a pack that comes with one I just chuck them in the trash.

1613233320499.jpeg

I’ve had camelbak’s, platypus, by far the best I’ve use is an Osprey 3 liter. Here’s why, the hose disconnects at the top of the bladder when filling. No need to remove hose from the pack!

For the last 8-10 years I've used the 3L Platypus and a 3L Osprey,( same as the pack brand), both have held up very well for me, no issues from either one. Also carry a 48oz. Nalgene as well.

With the exception of the CNOC Vecto bladder I've broken EVERY SINGLE bladder I've ever used.
Platypus? Busted.
Camelback? Broke em by the boat load on active duty.
Osprey? It broke too.
MSR hydration bladder? Split the seams.

The MSR dramadary bag (without hose setup) has been good for water storage at least.

With the exception of the CNOC Vecto bladder I've broken EVERY SINGLE bladder I've ever used.
Platypus? Busted.
Camelback? Broke em by the boat load on active duty.
Osprey? It broke too.
MSR hydration bladder? Split the seams.

The MSR dramadary bag (without hose setup) has been good for water storage at least.
I'm pretty certain I'm going to stay away from camelbak because of similar experiences

After reading around on some other threads and perusing the internet I've come to the realization that the water bladder market is more complicated than I thought.

What water bladder does everyone recommend?
Any certain brand, closure style, insualted hose? etc.
Used Camelbaks for the last ten years, but was very displeased with the flimsy plastic they’ve used in more recent renditions. Switched to the Gregory 3D Hydro and haven’t regretted the switch. No issues after a 10 day backpack hunt in the Gila, including being crammed between elk quarters/meat. Highly recommend.

With all the suggestions for Cnoc, I started looking at them on their website.
Is there not a hose kit to where you can drink hands free?

milspec camelbak is the worst taste ever.

Platypus all the way. The larger hose on Big Zip cost me money to canabalize a second one to get a quick release at the end of the hose but it was worth it. Perfect tasting water, easy to clean, and with a quick connect at the end of the hose, I can refill without removing it from my pack.

With all the suggestions for Cnoc, I started looking at them on their website.
Is there not a hose kit to where you can drink hands free?
Any generic hose kit with standard threads will work. Sawyer makes a fittings kit (SP115). I like this quick disconnect kit with bladder:

Leatt Flat Cleantech Water Pocket​

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back