Caribou Gear

Best Water Bladder on the Market?

WestKyHunt

After reading around on some other threads and perusing the internet I've come to the realization that the water bladder market is more complicated than I thought.

What water bladder does everyone recommend?
Any certain brand, closure style, insualted hose? etc.

Do the zip style bags hold up?

My only experience is with army issue camelbak bladders. They held up well for me, as long as they were properly cleaned and dried

+1 platypus. They are very durable and I’ve never had problems with seals or leaks before on the two I’ve owned.

The MSR Dromedary works great for me.
It went almost 1000 miles of hiking the first year I had it. Going on 4 years now and I haven't had a single issue with it.
I just got a hose kit this winter cause previously I used it as a water bag and for storage. The hose works well. I've had it freeze on me once due to me not keeping an eye on it. I'm probably going to take the insulation off an old Camelbak hose to see if that helps in the summer too.

Platypus 3L big zip has worked awesome for me. The reason I chose this model over the standard is the ease in which you can clean and dry the bladder. I’ve had zero issues with the closure.

I have used an Amazon model for 5 years now with no issues. It is a big zip style. My wife’s camelback made it 2 years before it started leaking.

1. Platypus changed threads so they no longer thread directly onto standard caps, which means they don't work with water filters with standard threads (I.E. Every water filter except Platypus brand). Some guys have had success in getting things screwed on enough to work, but they are no longer a direct fit and almost always leak like crazy. Nothing I would even think of using in the field.

2. If this is for drinking you can buy standard hose fittings that's running any water bottle with a standard bottle cap top fitting. Don't let your water fittings limits you on whitch bladder you're going to buy. In other words you don't have to use Platypus fittings. You can use standard fittings and use them with any other bladder that use a standard water bottle threads. This also makes it very easy to buy quick disconnect fittings. You can use these to create gravity filters Etc. Leatt makes a quick disconnect kit that's a decent price, and there are a bunch of off brands even cheaper.

3. I personally like bladders that have both a bottle top fitting and a zip open end or easy open end that allows you to fill it very quickly from a water source. One of the best and lightest Brands is Cnoc.

Back