Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Best place in Idaho for a Elk\Deer OYO hunt?

KyleK

Would like to find a great place in Idaho to do a DIY hunt. I know the wolfs have wreaked havoc on the elk population, but I would still like to try.

Any and all information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle

Last edited:
North, South, high mountains, rolling hills, rifle, bow, cow, bull, easy access, 10 day bivy ?

North, South, high mountains, rolling hills, rifle, bow, cow, bull, easy access, 10 day bivy ?

I open to any location. Rifle or bow. Bull. Easy access would probably be best, since I don't know the area.

Start by looking at the regs, use the hunt planner at IDF&G try to narrow down a location that looks good to you. Call the regional biologist and then let us know what you come up with. I would be happy to help of you can narrow it down to somewhere I am familiar with.

There are a lot of good OTC archery tags and some good OTC rifle tags if you can draw it would also be an advantage if you decide to rifle hunt.

So easy access to the place with the best deer and elk hunting in the state?
Seems reasonable enough.

Idaho has the most public land then any other state in the lower 48 so its all easy access !!!

I don't think I read anywhere where he was looking for easy access to the BEST elk hunting in the state.seems to me, he's asking for a starting point for a hunt.Calling the biologists is a good answer.I'd start there and see what people here think about their recommendation.I'd avoid the hardest hit wolf areas with your research.

I don't think I read anywhere where he was looking for easy access to the BEST elk hunting in the state.seems to me, he's asking for a starting point for a hunt.Calling the biologists is a good answer.I'd start there and see what people here think about their recommendation.I'd avoid the hardest hit wolf areas with your research.

Correct.

I'm not looking for easy access to the best elk hunting. I'm looking for a good starting point. I'm from ND trying to get help to hunt the west...not the easy way, but a starting point.

Thanks for the info so far...keep it coming.

Kyle

Idaho has the most public land then any other state in the lower 48 so its all easy access !!!
Wrong. ID has a lot of public land, but far from the most in total acres or in % of the state.

For a deer/elk hunt, I'd look towards the central part of the state.

Wrong. ID has a lot of public land, but far from the most in total acres or in % of the state.

Not sure how you figure we are far from the most. In the lower 48 he was off we don't have the most we come in second. Third overall including Alaska. So his statement was less wrong than yours.

Kylek you can hunt deer and elk at the same time during archery season in a lot of places. Once you get an elk zone or two figured out let us know what other questions you have.

Not sure how you figure we are far from the most. In the lower 48 he was off we don't have the most we come in second. Third overall including Alaska. So his statement was less wrong than yours.
Not according to this table. It has Idaho listed as #4 and #3 behind NV and UT if AK is excluded. Again according to that table, NV has over 56 million acres of federal land and ID has 32 million acres. I would call a difference of 24 million acres as being far from the most. Either way, ID has a lot of public land.

http://www.nrcm.org/documents/publiclandownership.pdf

I I like your idea of Idaho as a good spot for a combo hunt. I am thinking of doing the same thing with archery gear. A 2 week fun trip where if you score early you can always drop down to CO and do some OTC there as well. If I could move, that is one state I would look at. There is also the great appeal of Montana's combo tag. I do believe in Idaho you can shoot a bear off your deer tag but I really want a crack at a mulie more then a blackie. I have shot several bears with bow and rifle. I have never shot a mulie. If you get in a pinch PM me as I know a service in Idaho that can help you find a good location as well as scout the area. They also rent out both Bivy and base camp gear if your flying in.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back