Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Quintessential Resources for Elk Hunting

Redraider7

I would really like to learn how to find elk and have more success in the field this off season. Any recommended resources, books, websites, podcasts etc?

I would really like to learn how to find elk and have more success in the field this off season. Any recommended resources, books, websites, podcasts etc?
Of course, given that you are here, the Fresh Tracks Youtube Channel has a lot going for it. Check out Randy's video explaining the different seasonal cycles of elk, and e-scouting tips.

Follow that up by getting a subscription to GoHunt for regional advice/draw odds. Elk101/Corey Jacobsen's content is great if you are into archery.

Old "cutting the distance" podcasts with Remi Warren have lots of helpful stuff in them.

Of course, I've been saying this for years and it came up again a few years ago on the hunttalk podcast: but the elk are where you find them.

I've decided finding them is easy. Get out of the truck, start walking, keep walking til it gets dark or you find them. If it got dark, repeat the next day in a different spot

Very helpful to get some base knowledge.

I've decided finding them is easy. Get out of the truck, start walking, keep walking til it gets dark or you find them. If it got dark, repeat the next day in a different spot
Ha thanks for the heads up. I have tried this before and will continue to try this

You want to find elk ? You will not find elk by reading a book or watching a podcast. All the e-searches and videos may help you with tactics and overall strategy for success in the field. Travel this summer or early fall ( September rut) to an elk state.
1. Choose one of the premiere elk units and talk to a wildlife expert for that unit about the general location of elk herds.
2. Pick a road that will take you to 9,000 feet minimum. Drive your truck 4WD to a trail head and put on your boots, day pack, food water, headlamp, GPS, compass and binoculars.
3. Walk to an open ridge where you can glass dark timber edges adjacent to grass or meadow, 1/2 mile to 1 or 2 miles from road...get off a trail where others don't want to walk.
4. Be there at first light and last light.
5. Always have the wind in your face or going across.
6. Be in a position where you can glass close by and a mile or so.
7. Minimize movement, stay focused and be patient and persistent.
8. If no results after a couple days go to another promising spot.
9. You have to go where the elk are located.
10. Rember elk can move from one drainage to another in minutes...they can " just appear" sometimes.

You want to find elk ? You will not find elk by reading a book or watching a podcast. All the e-searches and videos may help you with tactics and overall strategy for success in the field. Travel this summer or early fall ( September rut) to an elk state.
1. Choose one of the premiere elk units and talk to a wildlife expert for that unit about the general location of elk herds.
2. Pick a road that will take you to 9,000 feet minimum. Drive your truck 4WD to a trail head and put on your boots, day pack, food water, headlamp, GPS, compass and binoculars.
3. Walk to an open ridge where you can glass dark timber edges adjacent to grass or meadow, 1/2 mile to 1 or 2 miles from road...get off a trail where others don't want to walk.
10. Rember elk can move from one drainage to another in minutes...they can " just appear" sometimes.
BTW....how did your 2023 CO unit 49 hunt turn out?

Good advice and thank you!

Ha thanks for the heads up. I have tried this before and will continue to try this
It took me a few years of taking half of September off, walking, walking, and more walking. In the offseason looking at maps of where I've gone, connecting the dots of encounters I've had. What time of day/What week of September was it when I ran into elk at this spot, why where they there, what were they doing, did they act pressured, where are they bedding from there, where is food and water from there, what was the weather like, how much light did they have at night, what was the wind doing, do I know there are other hunters nearby... The first few years it just seemed like dumb luck when I ran into elk, sometimes it is just dumb luck, and encounters were few and far between. When out actively pursuing elk those above questions are always in play and I try to put myself in the best place to be. After a decade thinking about elk, exploring in the summers, hundreds of miles on foot in the fall, hunting different areas, it seems I run into elk more often than not. Always learning. Read forums, watch videos, talk with people, but it also takes getting time out there doing it

First bit of advice is stop using those SAT words that just confuse us. I had to copy/paste Quintessential just to spell it right, lol.

On a serious note, just soak up every bit of information you can. Learn to e-scout and have multiple locations picked out before you go. Get there early and scout. The earlier the better. Get in good shape and go into areas that other people won't go and glass glass glass. Go hard every day of your hunt and don't quit. You can be sore and tired after the hunt is over. During the season suck it up and get after it.

Practice with whatever weapon you use until you can shoot it with excellent accuracy consistently.

You have to find what works for you, but this is how I have success.

First bit of advice is stop using those SAT words that just confuse us. I had to copy/paste Quintessential just to spell it right, lol.

On a serious note, just soak up every bit of information you can. Learn to e-scout and have multiple locations picked out before you go. Get there early and scout. The earlier the better. Get in good shape and go into areas that other people won't go and glass glass glass. Go hard every day of your hunt and don't quit. You can be sore and tired after the hunt is over. During the season suck it up and get after it.

Practice with whatever weapon you use until you can shoot it with excellent accuracy consistently.

The big takeaway is don't quit. After a few days of killing yourself with nothing to show for it is easy to throw in the towel. Persevere and at least you'll know you left it all on the table. Also, if you're hunting 49 in CO, Meateater did an elk hunt in that unit. May want to check it out, although it likely won't help you more than all of the info you've gotten. For that area, get it shape. The elk could be over 12,000 feet.

My apologies hahaha!

The big takeaway is don't quit. After a few days of killing yourself with nothing to show for it is easy to throw in the towel. Persevere and at least you'll know you left it all on the table. Also, if you're hunting 49 in CO, Meateater did an elk hunt in that unit. May want to check it out, although it likely won't help you more than all of the info you've gotten. For that area, get it shape. The elk could be over 12,000 feet.
Thanks I will check it out!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back