PEAX Equipment

Best Out of State Hunts

CubsFan

I'm located in Colorado which has plenty of good hunting opportunities but I like the idea of doing 1 hunt in a different state each year. This year I did pronghorn in WY. I'm looking for good hunt opportunities to put on my radar so I can start formulating an application strategy. I've looked into MT, ID, WY, CO, NV, UT, AZ, and NM but it is hard to keep all the info straight in your head.

Clearly everyone's definition of "best" will differ so here are top criteria for me:

1. Ease of draw (like 3 PP or less)
2. Chance of success (don't care about trophy potential)
3. Cost of tag
4. Experience (subjective but anything that stands out to you as good or unique experience)

Proximity to good fishing is also a big plus for me. Hopefully some other people will find this information useful. Feel free to throw out any other ideas or your personal strategy even if it doesn't match with my criteria. Just looking for some ideas to start investigating.

I'm in the same boat as you, I don't care about trophy potential just really want to have a good time and successful hunt. By just looking at the states you're interested in, I'm guessing you're after elk only? I'd open my mind to other species such as whitetails as well. I travel to Kansas almost every year to hunt, there are some very good units that have high draw rates and are often overlooked due to the lack of record book bucks being produced. Tags are pricey but you get a buck and a doe tag with the NR permit and have always found places to hunt for free, along with a few farms and public ground, I've had some great hunts. I am starting to apply to NM, MT for elk due to higher chances of a tag and potential to double up on deer/elk at the same time with the same preference points. In NM, the northern areas have a good NR success rate along with certain areas in Gilas. MT I've only ever looked in the breaks and just waiting.

Idaho elk and muledeer in the Frank Church Wilderness the month of September.
Awesome experience and will show you how physically easy other hunts are. Tags are OTC.

Montana OTC sheep...

If you want adventure, and challenge, and limited human interaction grab one of these tags. If your definition of success is "take home an animal" then if you put in the time you might be successful, but this might be the most difficult hunt that you ever do, too.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I just realized I put this in the wrong forum. I meant to put it in the fireside section of this site. Can a moderator move it maybe?

As far as species goes I would be open to anything certainly not limiting my search to just elk.

My suggestion is to put into other states for the "better" units for the stuff you can hunt in your home state. Or hunt the same stuff in completely different types of country. But, for me the biggest reason for travel is to hunt a new critter. I'd also put AZ Coues and javelina on that list. Hunt them in shirt sleeves when he's snowing at home.

fishing while hunting big game out of state? do you want to hunt or go on a road trip? :)

Could not have paid me to bring a fishing rod on any out of state hunt I've done already in every state you mentioned, expect never hunted idaho. no regrets and it would have been a huge wastebof tiem versus making the most of the hunt I came there for. But maybe you have all the time in the world to hunt for 2-3 weeks then go fishing...

with or without a 'plan' put in for all the states and species you may ever want to hunt to start building points.

NM elk, awful as the nonres odds are is a no brainer as they have no point system and thus you are not behind in the draw...and if you luck out, you can scratch a lot of other hunts off the agenda as needed to focus on it and you will be glad you did.

Back