Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

best budget spotting scope

TOGIE

only the best

$500 or less

help keep my lazy ass from having to do any research myself.

go!

only the best

$500 or less

help keep my lazy ass from having to do any research myself.

go!
Find a Athlon Ares on sale. Not going to beat it in that price range.
I have the 65” in for warranty right now. Someone dropped it out of my truck. When I get the replacement back I’ll be selling it because I splurged and ordered the new swaro. If it’s brand new I’ll sell it for a good price, if it’s refurbished it will be a great price!

Is this all we got? Survey says athlon?

I’m curious about those vanguards tho. Looking into it.

There's a few deals out there on Kowa stuff...they're not forum sponsors but they sell cameras

I have the Cabelas Krotos 15-45 and it works just fine. I need it for basic looking but I don't know if I'd spend the $ if Kowa was even an option.

I have the Kowa TSN 501 which I like because it is so light and small, but it clearly lacks the definition at max power or long ranges that the high end spotters do. My friend and I did a side by side comparison with the Vortex Razor 11-33, they were very similar. The Razor probably had just a little bit better definition/color, but the Kowa is 20-40x. You're not going to be counting tines at 2 miles, but it does the job.

That all being said, mtmuley is not wrong.

Until I draw a sheep or goat tag, it’s hard to imagine why I’d need expensive glass for a spotting scope. Until then my money is better spent on wyoming cow tags IMO.

I just want better magnification, not to see if a bull is missing a tooth.

Athlon really getting some love

I have a maven cs1 that Im happy with for the (used) price. Image becomes darker and less useable at the highest magnification, otherwise its good. Would be top of your price range in the used market. Runner up for me was athlon, and it lost out to the maven mainly for the weight savings ~10oz.

Best? In the budget range thats too subjective. When I upgrade I feel like I could recoup most of my money in the spotter as well. Id really prefer a swaro or kowa, but my wallet said otherwise. I will say that if you dont have top tier binos, upgrade those first. Still use my SLC’s way more than the spotter, which is mainly there for conformation of what the binos spot.

use my athlon everyday just about, ive had numerous spotters up to 1000.00. i coulda bought a truck with the money ive thrown away on spotters. shoulda bought a swarovski 10 years ago,,, but, on a budget, ill take the athlon over my leupold gold ring, or burris or nikon or 3 or 4 other brands that are in the shop,,,somewere

i'm a pretty functional guy. i'm happy with my binos and i'm happy with my rifle scope, until they break or it's time to upgrade my rifle i'll be using them.

i think i'll be able to find alpine mule deer just fine with a kowa or athlon or hone in a buck in the aspens this fall for a few more details.

i'm probably leaning kowa due to it's potential as a the lightest weight. i'll have to scour around though on all the weights for the potential contenders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back