best budget spotting scope

I’m still thinking about spotters.

But, let’s now pose the question of is it even worth to go from lower tier binos to mid tier? Is the jump in optical quality significant enough?

Can you expect a pretty solid jump going into the 700-800 range for binos? 500? I’ve been running diamondback hd 10x42s for 6 years. Biggest complaint is how easily they fog simply from the warmth of my eyes. But I’m cheap and functional, they haven’t broken so I’ve kept using them.

This is really thinking forward to next year. Two hunts planned or, very likely planned, that will be the most glassing intensive i will have done.

That said, I still already always spend a lot of time behind my tripod/binos, no matter what.
I would say absolutely. There are a number of good options in that $800-$1000 range for binos…Leica Trinovids, Zeiss Conquests, Meopta Meopro Airs.

I’ll put it to you this way…I went from Leupold BX-2s (same price tier as your Diamondbacks) to Kowa Genesis (MSRP $1400, got them on sale for sub $1000) and it’s a night and day difference. No eye fatigue, able to spot more animals, not feeling like I’m constantly having to mess with the focus, better low light performance, etc.

Now, were they as good as @Dsnow9’s NL Pures? No. But they were probably 80% of the way there. And with the Pures we’re obviously into significantly different price territory.

On the spotter front, if you’re set on the $500 range budget, I stand by my original answer. If you’re willing to spend more money there, my answer would obviously change.

Go check out Backwoods Pursuit. He does some good optics reviews on spotters and binos and breaks them out by different price category.

And remember to talk to @schmalts…I know he sells Leupold and Meopta at least.

All depends on the binos your running. We had 4 separate setups this fall glassing about 2 miles away. Mid day all did well. When we started glassing into the sun or picking out bulls vs cows there was a lot of variety.

Razor hd spotter
Budget vortex spotter
Gold ring spotter
Uhd razor binos
Budget binos
KOWA GENESIS BINOS
nl pures

We were basically running everything on the tripods. Hands down my nl pures took the cake from sun up to sun down for spotting game and identification. Most animals were picked off by the binos regardless of which type were being used. The spotters helped a little to count points but as soon as the light wasn’t perfect they were taking second seat to binos.

If your question was upgrade binos or get a spotter my answer is run binos on a tripod with a good mount. I prefer the outdoorsmans.

I will carry a tripod on every trip with my nl pures. Bringing a spotter to anything but a pre season glassing trip hasn’t happened in a couple season.
Fixed it for you.

I have to say that I use my spotter way less than I thought I would when I spent $1,400 on it.
EXACTLY....Just get a sub $500 one or not one at all...this buy once cry once crap is just that....crap. LOL...You will get one and never use it and won't care as much if you only spend $500, but if you spend $2000...um...yeah...you will be crying or forcing yourself to use it.

EXACTLY....Just get a sub $500 one or not one at all...this buy once cry once crap is just that....crap. LOL...You will get one and never use it and won't care as much if you only spend $500, but if you spend $2000...um...yeah...you will be crying or forcing yourself to use it.
Apparently you love your Vanguard?

Apparently you love your Vanguard?
I do like it and you know what, I have used it once :) It sits on the shelf like most spotters people have or is never used and it's not a $2000 mistake, it was only a $350 mistake.

I do like it and you know what, I have used it once :) It sits on the shelf like most spotters people have or is never used and it's not a $2000 mistake, it was only a $350 mistake.
Mine got some use this weekend for elk and a couple weeks prior on a pronghorn hunt. Still sitting in my pack as it will likely see action again next weekend.

Apparently we hunt differently. Don't recall where you call home?

That part is not settled. Leupold and vortex are the primary availability through my buddy. Have to sit down and peruse again with a new budget filter on my eyes
I imagine BX5s are good, though I’ve never looked through them. If Meopta Meostars aren’t available through your buddy, I’d reach out to Schmalts for a quote. I was very, very impressed looking through @FI460 ’s pair.

I know you said you’re sorta meh on spending the money on great glass, and have a pretty utilitarian mindset about it, but dude, having good glass is so much fun and really changes the experience.

I’m still thinking about spotters.

But, let’s now pose the question of is it even worth to go from lower tier binos to mid tier? Is the jump in optical quality significant enough?

Can you expect a pretty solid jump going into the 700-800 range for binos? 500? I’ve been running diamondback hd 10x42s for 6 years. Biggest complaint is how easily they fog simply from the warmth of my eyes. But I’m cheap and functional, they haven’t broken so I’ve kept using them.

This is really thinking forward to next year. Two hunts planned or, very likely planned, that will be the most glassing intensive i will have done.

That said, I still already always spend a lot of time behind my tripod/binos, no matter what.

I went diamondbacks to BX4s to the Meoptas. On a tripod every step was worth the price. The meoptas are amazing though. I wish I had gone straight there.

Shop for a used pair of swarvos after the new year if you want to upgrade. I see slc sell for 900-1000 often.

I wouldn't buy a 500 spotter. Again, shop used and save some money on alpha or even lessor.

As far as getting by with cheap glass, sure it works. You're kidding yourself if you think the expensive stuff is just for counting points. You're not counting points at long range. The value is finding animals. I pick out animals bedded, often. An ear or a back, bits and pieces for them standing etc. I've been through cheap glass and won't waste time on it again. They are not the same. I can see more with good binos than I can with a cheap spotter.

If I had to choose between binos and spotters on a hunt with a lot of glassing, I'd take a spotter. But I don't so I take both every time. To the guy that says people never use one, I'm guessing we hunt differently. I never leave home without mine and I don't whipmer about the weight. It's without a doubt one of the most valuable pieces of gear I have.

Last edited:
Shop for a used pair of swarvos after the new year if you want to upgrade. I see slc sell for 900-1000 often.

I wouldn't buy a 500 spotter. Again, shop used and save some money on alpha or even lessor.

As far as getting by with cheap glass, sure it works. You're kidding yourself if you think the expensive stuff is just for counting points. You're not counting poinys at long range. The value is finding animals. I pick out animals bedded, often. An ear or a back, bits and pieces for them standing etc. I've been through cheap glass and won't waste time on it again. They are not the same. I can see more with good binos than I can with a cheap spotter.

If I had to choose between binos and spotters on a hunt with a lot of glassing, I'd take a spotter. But I don't so I take both every time. To the guy that says people never use one, I'm guessing we hunt differently. I never leave home without mine and I don't whipmer about the weight. It's without a doubt one of the most valuable pieces of gear I have.
Skimping on glass is the dumbest thing any hunter can do whether it be counting points, trophies, cows, does, whatever. You won’t “get it” until you use excellent. There is a GIANT difference. Finding game is what it’s about.

Also - tripod mounted top end binoculars trump spotting scopes in my opinion. Last year I often spotted bighorn sheep at 3-6 miles away with binoculars. If you’re in the market for a dogshit spotter (all in the <$1500 price), it doesn’t really matter so just pick the lightest one possible. Best piece of hunting gear I’ve ever purchased was this.

48A6CCE2-A250-4CBB-8597-977C0E98C3D6.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back