Best Boots??

I've worn the vaprtrek from Irish setter for quite a while. I've logged many hundreds of miles and never, knock on wood had a problem with them. The are light weight, breath well and above all are very comfortable. I don't own a pair put I've heard good things about kenetrek boots aswell.

I had a pair of vaportrek for 2 years. Probably put on 200ish miles. They are super comfy but don't have a ton of support and both of mine had holes on each side of my foot at the flex point in the toes. So not so waterproof.
Last year I bought Lowa camino gtx. They aren't as stiff as tibets and are uninsulated because my feet run hot. They are a perfect archery boot for me but I also used them last October in 8" of snow on a rifle hunt. I put on 120 miles last year and they were fantastic. Although I did add an insole for arch support. But my biggest feature I looked for was I wanted a resoleable/rebuildable boot. I typically only get 1-2 years out of boots (if I'm lucky) before the sole wears out. The lowas look basically brand new after a year and if I can get a few years out of them and then get them resoled I don't see them wearing out for a good while. I believe I spent $300 for them and would recommend them highly. But I also tried on kenetrek and crispis but lowas fit the best. The old saying buy once cry once is very true for boots. But more importantly find one that fits you well. I would also recommend putting some kind of weight on when you try them on. Many boots feel great in store only to kill you with weight on your back.

Whatever you like the best. Not a smart ass answer... I love Redwing boots. They're not for everyone. I have 1000's of hours in the pair I have now. It's the most comfortable set of footwear I have.

But, they do take some time to break in. So, I'd suggest getting a pair and wear them around a bunch before you actually need them.

I like Salomon 4d gtx for archery. Have several hundred miles on them and they are still waterproof and comfortable. They have great support for packing heavy loads. Just my opinion though

Mountain terrain Side hilling or desert? Early September or late October? I’m guessing most of us own several pairs from early archery to late November mountain snow, I do. I would start at a reputable company that offers a good selection and knowledgeable sales staff. Not online unless you don’t mind dragging out the shopping experience.
All those links rust neversleeps posted are a pretty good read and indication of where this post will lead...

I like Salomon 4d gtx for archery. Have several hundred miles on them and they are still waterproof and comfortable. They have great support for packing heavy loads. Just my opinion though
Love my Salomon X-Ultra for archery. So many miles on them shopping for a new pair tomorrow...

Keep an eye on Sierra trading post for some deals. I've ordered a couple pairs I have been very happy with. Lowa sestos for early season/walking around the prairie here and asolo hunter gtx 8" for later season/more aggressive terrain. Both for 100 or more off msrp. Free exchange on the asolos for a half size up

I've had good experiences with Meindl. My current pair was a bear to break in, but I wear them every day at work or out recreating and they've held up really well. My last pair lasted through about 5 years of constant use and abuse before I finally retired them. That being said, there's a lot of other quality boots out there as well.

I know Kenetreks are expensive, but I can’t say enough good things about the bot or the customer service. Free having mine for several years, I noticed this spring that I had a small tear in the abrasion guard/fabric on the tongue of mine. Kenetreck said to send it in when I could but no rush. I then got an email that they also found a couple other things (toe boxes a little worn, some rubber delam starting somewhere that I never noticed). They fixed them all up free of charge and I just got them back (about 3 weeks all said and done). It’s like I have new boots everywhere above the tread, including new insoles! By this point I would have gone through at least two other sets of boots, and seeing them all shiny and ready to rock, I think I have at least another couple years and several hundred miles left. I The long run I think I’m saving money with them.

That being said, if you’re strapped for cash today then the investment may not work. I’d get something that may lay a couple seasons and be comfortable and start saving for when they wear out.

For the 2nd time in 25 years I have a pair of boots that passed the water test after only 25 miles of use. First were Hanwag Alaska, current ones are Oboz Bridger.

Boots that failed: Rocky, multiple Lowas (renegade/cevedale pro, zephyr), multiple Danner pronghorn, Salomon quest 4d, multiple merrell moab, vasque Breeze, and others I've forgotten.

Everybody's feet are different. Mine like Miendls.

NO matter what you choose, they must be well broken in. Wear good quality socks, pack extra ones and change them out if you think your feet are getting sweaty. I like the Bass Pro lifetime wool sock.

The while staying dry part is a myth. I've yet to find a pair of boots that will keep my feet dry on multi day trips, and I've spent thousands on boots over the years. Shop discount sites like Sierra, or Campmor and the like. You can pick up some great deals on closeout. I picked up a pair of Asolo boots this spring for about half price ($400, marked down to $220), and love them.

Boots really are a personal thing, you have to find what works for you. I think even in the same line / model of boots there's more variability than there used to be. I might be completely wrong, but I don't think Gore Tex is at all what it used to be. After hearing so many good things about the Solomon 4D GTX, I tried some and they didn't work for me, but I'm sure they're good boots. I hear guys slam Lowa boots, I love my Tibets. I've been impressed with Crispi boots. I love my Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, but didn't care for my Bridger hiking boots. Look around, read reviews, try on as many as you can - in the end you're going to have to spend some bucks and find the ones that work for your feet. Hope you find a great sale and a good boot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back