Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Best Mountian Boot

freu1chr

I am looking for the best boot to haves for week long hunts in all sorts of different places from the plains of western South Dakota to the moutians of the Montana Unlimited sheep units and with all different season from early to late season. I have been looking at the kenetrek mountain boot or the Hoffman Explorer. I just cant decide which one to go with or if i should be looking at a different boot entirely.

Kenetrek mountain extremes, but like mt said fit is everything! I have them and wear a silk sock liner with an REI expedition sock. I also changed the insole to a orange superfeet!

I have the Cabelas Miendl's and am happy with them. I also have a pair of Keen hikers I use and like. I would not want to be wearing my mountain boots on a warm plains hunt and vice versa for wearing the comfy light hikers on rough terrain. There are MANY great boots out there but fit is (as mentioned) the primary concern, followed by applicability to where/how you are going to use them.

Datsun !!!!

I love my Kenetrek Mtn Extremes but the best boot is the one that fits your feet.

Fit is everything. mtmuley

You HAVE TO try them on and figure out what fits you best. After all the hype I bought a pair of Kenetreks and have hated almost every mile, and I have put in lots. They just dont fit my heal. They are going to try and stretch the heel cup, but we will see. Spend some time in the store trying to figure out if they will cause problems going up or down hills.

Boots are like backpacks, just a little more detailed. It all comes down to fit, Kenetrek/Crispis/Schnees/Howa/the list goes on and on. What fits your feet the best is what you should get. Kenetreks fit my feet like a tennis shoe and I absolutely love them. I have tried Mendles and Schnees and the comfort just isnt there. Good luck.

You also specified a very wide range of usage. Understand that what works well on the unlimited sheep hunt likely won’t be ideal on the plains, and vice versa. Sheep country boots are typically pretty stiff and a little heavy. Not exactly the most comfortable for miles and miles of prairie walking.

You also specified a very wide range of usage. Understand that what works well on the unlimited sheep hunt likely won’t be ideal on the plains, and vice versa. Sheep country boots are typically pretty stiff and a little heavy. Not exactly the most comfortable for miles and miles of prairie walking.

Another very good point.....

For me personally, I like the higher ankle support when I am looking at a mountain boot. Crispi Guide GTXs have been really good for me. Kenetreks were next on the list.

Yep my son likes zamberlins, Ive been through a few different brands and finally found one that I will stick with and really like Kennetrek Mtn extreme !

The best boot is the one that is built to last and fits your foot. You have to try on a lot of boots. Use a liner sock, smooth out any wrinkles. Then put on the main sock, smooth out any wrinkles. Do not simply lace from toe in order. Use the method that skips a set of hooks as start up before ankle then double back. This locks the pressure on the toe since you need that different than from ankle zone.

I tried on about 5 brands at a big outdoors show while had borrowed a Mystery Ranch pack with a lot of weight in it. One brand was fantastic. I still use those boots a decade later and other than some nicks and new laces and a bit of glue the boots are still great. The only time I felt the mountain needed a better boot was in Alaska in some steep stuff, really steep stuff, where needed a longer support shank running heel to toe but mine was shorter. Or, plastic mountaineering boots would have worked in that really steep stuff plus when cross streams can let the water run out of the boot then put your socks back on after dry your feet.

Fit is everything. mtmuley
I know it can sound glib, seriously, you can get a 100 different kinds of boots these days that will keep out the water and snow and have all the bells and whistles imaginable. If they don't fit right, it will suck.

I use Keens, not thought of as super high quality, but they fit my goofy wide, high-arched feet better than anything else I've tried.

You now have a mere seven brands suggested in this thread to try, then the half dozen applicable models made by each. :)
Some great advice in here though...try stuff, fit is key, there's no "one" boot, everything is a compromise. Finding a footwear solution is mostly a trial/error and money equation. Once in a while a fella might get lucky and the first boot or two you try is the ticket.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back