Best Mountian Boot

High end danner stuff Is pretty nice made in USA

I've burned through a bunch of high end boot brands, and the US-made Danner is still probably my favorite. It's a shame they also make so many cheap models that muddy the waters and hurt their reputation.

I'm very intrigued by the Thorofares.

la sportiva trango cubes are nice on warmer mountain hunts.
For me, Schnees fit perfectly and I own 3 pairs so I’m not sure what else is out there for when the conditions get a little tougher.
Unfortunately, I found out last year that they do not stand behind their boot like they advertise. I have a pair of Granites with under 30 days on them that leak like crazy to the point that they are unusable. They began leaking with under 20 days. I took them in after my unlimited hunt and the best they would do is a 30% discount on a new pair and charged me to replace an eyelet that broke.
That’s not the customer service that Schnees is known for, and whatever is going on there is unfortunate.
I think when I’m in the market for a new pair I’m going to look at Scarpa and Crispi.

Unfortunately, I found out last year that they do not stand behind their boot like they advertise. I have a pair of Granites with under 30 days on them that leak like crazy to the point that they are unusable. They began leaking with under 20 days. I took them in after my unlimited hunt and the best they would do is a 30% discount on a new pair and charged me to replace an eyelet that broke.
That’s not the customer service that Schnees is known for, and whatever is going on there is unfortunate.
I think when I’m in the market for a new pair I’m going to look at Scarpa and Crispi.

Exactly my experience. Had a pair of Schnees that blew out on the same spot on both boots. Took them in and the best they could do was 20% off a new pair. I laughed and walked out of the store and bought Crispis.

I've burned through a bunch of high end boot brands, and the US-made Danner is still probably my favorite. It's a shame they also make so many cheap models that muddy the waters and hurt their reputation.

I'm very intrigued by the Thorofares.

That is interesting. I've had a couple pairs of Danners I loved in terms of comfort, but they were foreign made and leaked like a pair of sandals. I bought a pair of Asolos last year and they were super comfortable as well as waterproof and the soles went and fell off at about the 100 mile mark.

I'd like to just spring for a pair of high end quality boots, but I am opposed to spending high end prices. May have to look at the US made Danners, as they seem to be a middle ground.

You now have a mere seven brands suggested in this thread to try, then the half dozen applicable models made by each. :)
Some great advice in here though...try stuff, fit is key, there's no "one" boot, everything is a compromise. Finding a footwear solution is mostly a trial/error and money equation. Once in a while a fella might get lucky and the first boot or two you try is the ticket.

^^^^^^^^ this.

That is interesting. I've had a couple pairs of Danners I loved in terms of comfort, but they were foreign made and leaked like a pair of sandals. I bought a pair of Asolos last year and they were super comfortable as well as waterproof and the soles went and fell off at about the 100 mile mark.

I'd like to just spring for a pair of high end quality boots, but I am opposed to spending high end prices. May have to look at the US made Danners, as they seem to be a middle ground.

I wore a pair of these for probably 6-7 years, and who knows how many miles. Over 1000. They never wore out. What finally killed them was me forgetting about them in a garbage bag for 6 months while they were covered in breaks mud. Those air-bob soles NEVER wear out.

I like oboz bridgers uninsulated waterproof if you use boot oil they will last hundreds of miles in the mountains lower profile than most like under 200. Great boots not America made only downside for me.

I like oboz bridgers uninsulated waterproof if you use boot oil they will last hundreds of miles in the mountains lower profile than most like under 200. Great boots not America made only downside for me.
Ive been looking at these lately would you say they suit the bill for alot of sidehilling?

These are a really good all around boot. Not ideal for sheep hunting, but they will handle fairly rugged country but yet be comfortable in the flatter stuff.

Just curious, what makes you say that? I spent plenty of time running around the Sawtooths and Seven Devils last summer and early fall in mine, they were great in all kinds of stuff until the snow started to stack up and I switched out to my Kenetreks that are insulated.

I’ve tried a bunch. Finally tried Crispi and am looking forward to trying more models. Every foot is different though.

Just curious, what makes you say that? I spent plenty of time running around the Sawtooths and Seven Devils last summer and early fall in mine, they were great in all kinds of stuff until the snow started to stack up and I switched out to my Kenetreks that are insulated.

I had a pair of these the same time I had a pair of Schnees Sheep Hunters, made by Lowa. The Crispis were not as stiff, which made them much more comfortable for most uses, but with a heavy pack in steep and rocky stuff, I would pick a stiffer boot. I wore the Crispis on a backpack archery hunt in the Rubies, and kind of wished I had taken a little stiffer boot.

Back