Boot Comparison Spreadsheet: Thoughts?

Heyjbales

After being a fly on the wall for a ton of conversations about gear, I been comparing some different stuff just with data to help filter through brand opinions. I've had my hands on most of these and feet in 2 of them and am kinda just able to put together specs from their website. Clearly missing important info like the warranty and fit on purpose. I want a boot who's warranty I won't use and I won't wear any boot that doesn't fit my specific foot well.

1. Any you folks think this is helpful at all for folks looking to get into a good pair of boots?

2. Are any of my specs off or are there other good boots in this category that I missed?

I'd throw Hanwag into the mix. Any of them should be money well spent. Fit is by far the most important metric.

Shoot! I know they're married to Fjallraven and if they're similar in quality as a brand, I'd imagine they're dang good boots! I'll go find a comparable model now.

And yeah, fit is so dang important but tough to compare since each guy's foot is different with different stress tolerances. Just decided to omit it and assume that if a boot makes the cut based on these specs that the fit would be the final deal breaker.

Zamberlan is right there with the top of the list too.

Salomon are mighty comfortable but i sure wouldn't lump them in quality/durability wise as most others on that list.

Cripsi Summits are not made in Italy like the high end Cripsi's are (Wyoming's and Idaho's come to mind for italian made Crispi's)

The Tibet and Quest 4D aren't close in sole stiffness. I would put the Hanwag Alaska at a 4 along with the old Lathrop tech lite hunter (rebranded lowa cevedale pro). The Tibets I had on mt feet were probably a 3.5+

All good info fellas! I had forgotten about Zamberlan. Do you think their 1996 Vioz Lux is kinda their flagship model for these styles of boots? If so, any idea on flex rating?

As for the Crispis, that must be why I was able to blow them out so fast. Haha. Had no idea they didn't make all their boots in Italy. Also, the data is showing that Salomon boot is not a good comparison, for sure. I've already tore em up pretty good in a month, so I'd agree.

Good to know about the Hanwags, as I had no experience with their flex ratings. Thanks for that! Once I get some info on those Zamberlans, I'm going to update and post the spreadsheet again.

I think instead of trying to compare stiffness rating, you'd be better served simply putting the specs on the insert/shank. For example, full length 5mm nylon, full length 7mm nylon, 3/4 tapered, etc. This will give you a pretty good baseline for comparing stiffness. Also, I'd include sole composition and resolable yes/no.

I am not trying to be the negative Nancy but I cant see what really we are comparing
Maybe a list is more accurate

All good info fellas! I had forgotten about Zamberlan. Do you think their 1996 Vioz Lux is kinda their flagship model for these styles of boots? If so, any idea on flex rating?

As for the Crispis, that must be why I was able to blow them out so fast. Haha. Had no idea they didn't make all their boots in Italy. Also, the data is showing that Salomon boot is not a good comparison, for sure. I've already tore em up pretty good in a month, so I'd agree.

Good to know about the Hanwags, as I had no experience with their flex ratings. Thanks for that! Once I get some info on those Zamberlans, I'm going to update and post the spreadsheet again.

The 1996 is more of a trekking style boot, akin to a heavy duty Salomon. I'd put it a 2.5. A more comparable boot to what you have is the Guide 960 RR, which is pretty similar to a Lowa Tibet. Probably a 3.5 if you're trying to compare across brands.

I am not trying to be the negative Nancy but I cant see what really we are comparing
Maybe a list is more accurate
Sorry man. It's just a screenshot of some good mountain/hunting boots with different weights, flexes, material makeup and price points. Defintely not a perfect comparison of boots, but that's why I posted it so I could get some input on my gaps.

The 1996 is more of a trekking style boot, akin to a heavy duty Salomon. I'd put it a 2.5. A more comparable boot to what you have is the Guide 960 RR, which is pretty similar to a Lowa Tibet. Probably a 3.5 if you're trying to compare across brands.
Sweet! Great info, thanks! I'll put that Guide 960 on there.

I think instead of trying to compare stiffness rating, you'd be better served simply putting the specs on the insert/shank. For example, full length 5mm nylon, full length 7mm nylon, 3/4 tapered, etc. This will give you a pretty good baseline for comparing stiffness. Also, I'd include sole composition and resolable yes/no.
I like the sounds of this. I should definitely do that instead of my stiffness rating to make it more data driven. Those other two are great data points, as well. I'd imagine the website of these boots should have all that you mentioned, so I'll add to my spreadsheet here in a bit.

I like the sounds of this. I should definitely do that instead of my stiffness rating to make it more data driven. Those other two are great data points, as well. I'd imagine the website of these boots should have all that you mentioned, so I'll add to my spreadsheet here in a bit.
You'd think they would, but I bet you will have to make a few phone calls to fill in that info.

Thanks to all y'all for chiming in. This was super helpful.

I probably should of mentioned my main goal with this comparison. I am hoping to use this to parse out one fairly stiff shanked waterproof boot that's a workhorse for everything from drift busting snow on Spring bear hunts to packing out elk meat in October. I switch to a trail runner for August/early September hunts.

Turns out these conversations helped me actually get rid of the stiffness category for now. There's some subjective nature to it without contacting all the different manufacturers to find out the type of shank they use. Since I'll be trying on each boot before I buy anyway, I figured I'll be able to tell when it's on my foot whether or not it has the stiffness I'm looking for, in addition to the fit my foot needs.

Now it's just time for me to try some on and see what my feet like the best.

Yeah I was d
Just fyi, the L&S Mountain Hunter is a leather boot.
I was debating how to classify it since it looked more synthetic than the Kenetrek or Schnee's, but obviously has the leather lowers and clearly isn't a full synthetic like the Sportiva. Have you had any experience with that bad boy?

My feet like the Meindl's and I would think they are in the same category as the boots you have listed. Several different flavors as well. I think their "perfekt" would be similar to your list.

I was surprised though that Cabelas is no longer selling them. Not sure if they are readily available anywhere else. Hope I don't need new boots for a while.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back