Caribou Gear Tarp

Which boot?

jae011

Been looking at kentreck and Schnees boots. What Im going for is a universal boot if thats a thing. Something thats usable chasing speed goats in the wide open prairies , to high country mule deer and a little bit of everything in between. I get in extreme cold ill need something more specialized but Im thing September through early or mid November for useful time frame. Whats your recommendations.

Not to be flippant, but the one that fits. Boot stiffness and insulation is also an individual preference. For what you are describing, a middle of the road stiffness is what I’d be looking for.

Don't go Schnees - my boots blew out at same spot after 2 season and I went into the store asking if there was anything they could do....he said I needed a receipt and wouldn't do anything without one. I got them as a gift and didn't have any form of receipt. I dont know if he was the owner, but a big guy with a goatee and was a straight jerk. For 300 boots I would expect them to stand by their product and try to retain customers...

jae011,
Consider Meindl Denali boots as one option. Buy which ever fits best. The problem isn't so much finding a good quality boot as it is deciding from among a plethora of good boots.

What you will find doing research is that there are subtle differences in boots that make them fit each foot differently.

I tried making kenetreks work for 2 seasons, multiple insoles, socks, and even lacing could not fix heel rub on long walks. I finally decided after spending over $500 that they were just not a good fit for my foot shape. I use them for working around the house activities but not for hunting. Since then the rubber around the sides has started coming loose and they now leak. Needless to say I was not impressed considering the price but you will also find people who prefer kenetreks and have good experiences with their product.

For my feet I have found Danner desert boots to be perfect for hot/warm weather hunts and Meindl to be a good fit for my feet on hunts where I need more support in tougher terrain.

One thing I have found is my feet are almost always hot so I prefer a non insulated boot for most hunting unless its' really cold. But everyone is different so finding what fits you best is going to be the most important. Lots of good choices out there.

I went with the Kennetrek Hardscarbble hiker and am quite pleased. Three years of universal use from hunting, summer hiking, even used them all of last session to lobby and they were incredibly comfortable. I just had them rebuilt, and they came back almost as new. No leaks, not problems with heel rub, etc. I have a wide foot, and these were the best option I could find.

As PrairieHunter says, your mileage may vary, but for me - the Kennetreks have been awesome. No more plantars fasciitis, no blisters, etc.

I ended up going to Lowa Tibet GTX for elk hunting mountains and Danner pronghorns for hiking prairies after deer, birds and antelope. The increased stiffness of the Lowa's in the mountains elk hunting was great. However, this was not great for miles on the prairies here in SD. Danner's felt more like walking shoes on the prairie. My feet are sensitive which sucks but that is why I have different boots to match what I am doing.

Agree with above posts though that fit is most important. When I purchased mine at Scheels, the manager of the department told me that for the money I was spending, they would take them back (for credit I am sure) if they didn't fit or caused blisters.

Back