PEAX Equipment

Best Bang for your Buck

wyoelkfan15

I have a friend that is getting into whitetail hunting in West Virginia. He's on a budget. What would be your best Bang for your Buck first time rifle?

The two links below will get you started in the right direction from a bolt action perspective and cartridge selection - these will work in the WV woods and in the west if he every tries that. If he is only doing whitetail in the woods I would go with a Marlin 336 lever action in 30-30Win.

In all likelihood with lever guns being in demand cheap lever guns aren't common.. Having hunted a couple of years in WV I would suggest getting a used Savage bolt gun. Probably easier to find a decently priced one than a cheap lever gun.. Get one in any good common caliber, 30-06, 308 243 or 270.. I would say that you can have plenty of opportunities for shots well beyond 100 yards and if your friend can become proficient with a bolt gun it would be in his best interest..

I don't know much about hunting in WV, would he need a scope in that thick timber?

Hard to say without seeing where he'll be hunting. The leaves will all be down by the time deer season starts, so longer shots are possible. I wouldn't go with anything with real high magnification, but a 2-7 or fixed 4x wouldn't be out of place.

A Savage Axis or Rem 783 in .270 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor.

They sell new for around $320 + tax around here. Available in left hand too and the budget scope [usually a 3 x 9] that sometimes comes with them is decent enough for the job.

Last edited:
I can't say for this exact moment but back in February I just bought my dad a gun with a scope on it for 250. Do prices vary state by state maybe?

Crazy,. Under $325 is cheap in today's market.. Gun prices are magnitudes higher than even several months ago..

Yeah, I guess I'd consider anything under 425 that's quality budget nowadays. If I wanted to spend less than that I'd be looking for a used rifle.

Yeah, I guess I'd consider anything under 425 that's quality budget nowadays. If I wanted to spend less than that I'd be looking for a used rifle.
Get used is the best bang for your buck! The rifle I just bought in Feb was 15 years old, ruger m77 Hawkeye with a 3x9 scratched up Leopold. Shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yards with factory federals. For 250? That's good bang for buck. Doesn't have to look pretty.

Back