best backpacking pack around $350 mule deer and elk with a meat shelf

You could find a used Exo Mountain Gear in that range if you look hard. Now that they have their K3 system I wouldn’t be surprised to see a K2 in that price range used. Great packs.

I've got a Mystery Ranch Selway 60 from camofire.com I got for 350 or so....have seen mystery ranch metcalf on there as well for about that. Or used market of course....

Pack recommendations on this forum are like asking about boots, guns, ammo, scopes, trucks, and tires. People tend to like what they have, often because it's what they have and often because they've tried 15 different things and decided what was best (for them).

I have a Sitka Mountain Hauler 6200. I think it is around $600. I also have a no name daypack I bought at Menards for $25. I have also owned a Slumberjack Deadfall 65. Each has its use. I find the Sitka pack too big 90% of the time, but it's nice when I need to haul something.

That all being said, I can't say enough about the Slumberjack Deadfall 65. SLJ stands behind their products and has good customer service. The Deadfall packs down really nice and I like how it expands. I've used it to haul a mulie and several elk quarters and was extremely impressed. It's also $230 and can often be found for less. I don't think you could do better at around the $200 mark.

Outside of that, you could always look at a used premium pack. I see them sometimes here and on Rokslide.

Watch Scheels online sight for semi-regular Mystery Ranch deals on Pintler, Selway or Metcalf that get you to that price give or take a little.

I go back and forth if I’d want to spend top-dollar on a pack or not. I think it depends on each person. $500 is a lot of money to have hanging on the garage wall 51 weeks out of the year. To each their own.

If I was a resident of a state where I knew that pack was going to get a workout every year (deer/antelope/elk) every year it’d be easier to swallow.

If you were able to flex your budget up a little... I got a MR Sawtooth 45 for about $370 last year on sale. Either that or I agree with the others- try to find a used MR or SG

I go back and forth if I’d want to spend top-dollar on a pack or not. I think it depends on each person. $500 is a lot of money to have hanging on the garage wall 51 weeks out of the year. To each their own.

If I was a resident of a state where I knew that pack was going to get a workout every year (deer/antelope/elk) every year it’d be easier to swallow.
One crappy week with a crappy pack might change your mind. I get it though, but I use mine and help buds all season. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back