Best 30 caliber bullet for a grizzly?

I didn't realize Northfork bullets were still available. I have heard Europe talk of the Bitterroot. Great bullet. I am looking forward to your assessment of Hammers. Great thread on their site showing wound channel testing. mtmuley
maybe your right, hope not. They were bought out and were producing the Nothfork bullet in Sweden, but maybe that has also changed. I will advise my husband and grandfather ( who does our reloading ) that they have now closed their Sweden operation. thank you

yes, April found a bag of bitterroots and sent them to us last year and our grandfather refuses to use them . They actually were shipped in bags, not boxes, when produced and shipped and these are still in an original bag. Her husband and her ( April ) used them and spoke very highly of them. We have not used them --yet ;)

Thank you for the heads up about their web page ( hammer ) I will relay the message. I think my grandfather spoke to someone there about 250 gr 348 bullets, but not sure about that.

Thanks again for the heads up about Northfork. Do you know if Alaska bullet works are still in business ?

As noted I did shoot my grizzly bear with a hand loaded 140 gr. Nosler Accubond out of my 280AI at 3186 fps. Speed checked with a chronograph. The shot was 158 yards broadside. I hit him in the lungs tight behind his right shoulder. He spun 180 degrees into the shot and in one fluid motion did two tight somersaults and was dead. Never even twitched! The bullet exited out the off side behind the shoulder.

I REALLY like Nosler Accubonds, Partitions, and E-tips. They all have worked very well for me and my son over the years. In your 30-06 I personally would feel completely confident in the following.

165 gr. Accubond or Partition - 168 gr. E-tip
180 gr. Accubond, Partition, or E-tip
200 gr. Accubond or Partition

1621801364846.png

https://www.northforkbullets.com/ Panda, found this link. mtmuley
thank you I will make sure they get this.
Karl, passed last year. Loved that guy and his bullets. Like Mark Twain, he never met a man he didn't like .
thank you. sorry to hear that. He was quite a character for sure
As noted I did shoot my grizzly bear with a hand loaded 140 gr. Nosler Accubond out of my 280AI at 3186 fps. Speed checked with a chronograph. The shot was 158 yards broadside. I hit him in the lungs tight behind his right shoulder. He spun 180 degrees into the shot and in one fluid motion did two tight somersaults and was dead. Never even twitched! The bullet exited out the off side behind the shoulder.

I REALLY like Nosler Accubonds, Partitions, and E-tips. They all have worked very well for me and my son over the years. In your 30-06 I personally would feel completely confident in the following.

165 gr. Accubond or Partition - 168 gr. E-tip
180 gr. Accubond, Partition, or E-tip
200 gr. Accubond or Partition

View attachment 183991
I remember this david. congrats again. Didn't Guy also successfully hunt them in the same area, only from memory he used a 375 H & H

mtmuley & panda bear

Northfork "type" bullets are still available, but not from Oregon. Alaska bullets are no more but supposedly someone is considering ( or possibly has already ) continuing the operation, but as I mentioned earlier, the original owner has passed.

mtmuley, do they make everything per order or do they have an inventory ? ( Hammer ) and we were wondering if they are similar to the bullets April told us about ( GSC Bullets ) ? . when time permits we will do a bit more research but was curious about those two things, thanks

p.s. we just looked at their web page, found what we were looking for ( I think ) thanks anyway. We have been looking at a used BLR in the 348 caliber but they only make a light bullet for it. But, very interesting bullet, we will have to order some 338,s and 264's and see how they work. They do sound like the GSC bullet ???

Last edited:
Randi

In my humble opinion, you would be better off dealing with Hammer. Although they came alone after I was done, there is just to many guys here that have used them and like them. Plus, from what is said here on the forum the people running the company are stand up fellows. Tell them what you want and they will tell you what they can do.

GSC is a spin off ( daughters came to the U.S. ) and in the past they made good bullets, but everything I used was made in Africa and used in Africa. I did buy some for Scotty in Virginia, and although he said they were o.k., he did not order more.

As to the 348. Although it will cost more and if you plan on using it without a scope, I would look for an original Win 71. Try to find one and shoot it before you buy one. Also, dont discount the lighter weight bullet Hammer offers for it. The 250 Woodleigh that Cheyenne uses is a hammer both when it strikes the animal and when the rifle pushes back on the shoulder. If your headed back to Texas and looking for a scabbard rifle for hogs, there are better options IMHO

Interesting and as always entertaining HT discussion. I imagine a mono would be the best bet (Hammer, Barnes, Nosler E-Tip, GMX, Federal Trophy Copper, etc.) After that something like Partitions or Accubonds. Monos' need speed so most recommend going a step down in weight from a recommended lead/jacketed bullet.

Given your guide made a recommendation might want to stick with that. I wouldn't want to be the one to hear, "I told you to use abcxyz!" from my guide.

I can't help, but if it were me I'd go with a 200 grain all copper bullet. I don't have experience with Hammer's, but the really heavy (200+ grains) .308 bullets look very interesting.

thank you I will make sure they get this.

thank you. sorry to hear that. He was quite a character for sure

I remember this david. congrats again. Didn't Guy also successfully hunt them in the same area, only from memory he used a 375 H & H
Yes and he used a 30-06 with 200 gr. Partitions that he also loaded himself.

Randi

In my humble opinion, you would be better off dealing with Hammer. Although they came alone after I was done, there is just to many guys here that have used them and like them. Plus, from what is said here on the forum the people running the company are stand up fellows. Tell them what you want and they will tell you what they can do.

GSC is a spin off ( daughters came to the U.S. ) and in the past they made good bullets, but everything I used was made in Africa and used in Africa. I did buy some for Scotty in Virginia, and although he said they were o.k., he did not order more.

As to the 348. Although it will cost more and if you plan on using it without a scope, I would look for an original Win 71. Try to find one and shoot it before you buy one. Also, dont discount the lighter weight bullet Hammer offers for it. The 250 Woodleigh that Cheyenne uses is a hammer both when it strikes the animal and when the rifle pushes back on the shoulder. If your headed back to Texas and looking for a scabbard rifle for hogs, there are better options IMHO

I remember the tests Scotty performed with the bullets you sent him April. there was also another older gentleman involved who had a stash of Bitterroots as well. I remember she sent them some GSC and Rhino bullets from Africa. Woodleigh from Australia, and if memroy serves me correctly Nosler, Swift, Northfork, Alaska and someone else, but I am forgetting who.

This was before Hammer.

They did their test through water jugs and the Bitteroot bullet won hands down ( penetration of number of jugs, retained weight, mushroom, ) and I do remember the Swift A Frame came in second and Woodleigh third on their test. it was a very extensive and time consuming project . As an aside, I also remember Scotty believing the 338 win was the best caliber, April the 300 H & H, and Earle the 35 Whelen, that was always a fun and friendly discussion to listen to :)

April is not wrong about the 348 on both counts. There are a number of lever action options, like the 45/70 or even the 444 that might work for you at a lower cost. How big are those wild pigs in Texas ? o_O

Back to op : imho, any of the premium bullets will work just fine, I personally feel more comfortable with something 200 or more and if you want me to tell you exactly what you should take on the hunt : a win 71-348 with a 250 gr Woodleigh ;)

I've just sorta been lurking on this thread w/o comment since I've never hunted griz, but my $.02 is just that I'd certainly steer toward a heavier bonded core bullet. Or a mono like Barnes or Hammers. If it were me I'd probably not go any lighter than 180gn.

My buddy shot a brown bear on Kodiak with a 180gr Nosler Partition out of a 300 WSM. I'd probably lean towards a Partition or bonded bullet like the Accubond myself.

FWIW, a former poster on here shot his with a 260 Rem and a 130gr Swift Sirocco...

I didn't realize Northfork bullets were still available. I have heard Europe talk of the Bitterroot. Great bullet. I am looking forward to your assessment of Hammers. Great thread on their site showing wound channel testing. mtmuley
Reloading International sells their bullets in NA.

Me if it was a interior Grizzly I would just use a 180 Nosler AB or Partition now if it was a Coastal Brown Bear I would use a 200gr Swift A-Frame.
But I have Zero experience hunting the big bears having only shot one Black Bear.

Decided to go with the Hammers in the Hunter 180’s.They shoot very well out of my 300 win mag. I haven’t chrono’d it yet but my group’s are tight. Thanks everyone for your input.
Nice. Keep us posted. Steve would like to hear how it goes too. mtmuley

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back