Best 30 caliber bullet for a grizzly?

Pahoundsman

Heading to Alaska in September and I was looking for some input from some other shooters. I currently have been loading the Winchester silvertip in 180 grain for elk and they do a great job. I think they would work nicely on bears and I have a couple hundred left. I also have a load worked up for 168 game king.looking forward to some feedback.

Are you hunting bears or just want to be prepared, if things happen? If you get good penetration and the bullets retain a high percentage of their weight on elk (with the silvertips), I probably wouldn't change. If weight retention or penetration are iffy, I'd go to a premium bullet. Have you asked your guide what he thinks - another thing to consider.

I had the same question as @Gary plus what cartridge are you using? I took 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in a 300 WM on a sheep hunt that turned into a moose hunt, and in between the two, I had a close encounter with a large grizzly that was not too happy about being bumped from his bed. As he was huffing at me, I was thinking that my “sheep” bullets probably would not work too well on him if I had to stop at charge. Fortunately, I was able to back out of there with no injuries to either of us. I got my moose later that day but it was not the best bullet choice in that cartridge, for that size of animal.

My limited experience with 180 GKs in a 300 Weatherby would lead me to believe I would not want to use 168 gr GKs on a grizzly at close range out of a magnum.

I’ll be targeting grizzly. I’ve had great performances and weight retention with the silvertips and I am shooting a 300 Win Mag. My guide is all in with my bullet of choice as it is what he also loads for his rifle. I was just looking for some other opinions on the subject.

I haven't shot a grizzly, but almost had to when I was hunting caribou with 300 WinMag and Barnes. My guide said that would be good grizzly medicine.

I've switched to Hammer this year and they should be even better.

I went on a dall sheep/grizz hunt in 2007. I carried a 30-06 and 180 grn Partitions. The guide was completely comfortable with the cartridge and bullet combo.

Tagged a great ram, but didn't even see a grizz.

Griz are not magical bullet sponges. Any premium monolithic or bonded bullet will be fine. I can’t speak of costal browns but interior griz poked through the lungs with ttsx go down quick. Shot mooose,caribou,griz,bison,black bear and dall sheep with barnes from 10-500 yards. My buddies have done the same with all walks of premium bullets. Don’t overthink it.

Trophy bonded, hammer, partition, accubond, A- Frame, TTSX
The only problem I have with this is supply. I’m in the same boat as everyone else and my bullet selection is not great.I’ve been looking for some Trophy bonded.l do have a small supply of the partion’s

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back