Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Best 30 caliber bullet for a grizzly?

For protection, Inwould want maximum tissue damage, so that leads me towards something heavy, something frangible, and something that will penetrate a little before coming apart which leads me to medium velocity. I’d say an ELD-X, tipped Match King, or VLD in the 210gr or heavier range.

For recovery,(hunting them) blood trails are convenient, and from what I understand, a well fed bear doesn’t always leave a good blood trail without a pretty substantial hole. For that, I would think you need something that expands well, yet has a good reputation for penetration. Most monolithic bullets(Hammer, Barnes, E-tip etc.) are supposed to fit that bill rather well. The Partition definitely fits that bill well. A Winchester Silver Tip is also probably a very good bullet in that front. It’s just a Nosler Balistic Tip Hunting with a coating that it either molybdenum disulfide or something very similar. The Balistic Tip Hunting generally comes apart a little better than an Accubond, but has a thick enough jacket that exits are still likely if you’re using a fairly heavy bullet.

I would consider going over 180gr, but I would ask your guide first.

I’m generally not a fan of a magnum, but a griz hunt is something where I’d not only consider a magnum, but I’d consider a .338” magnum.

My brother spent a summer working for the forest service in grizzly country. His job was to count trees and estimate board feet of lumber for timber sales within western Montana. He had to qualify with a Remington pump action 30-06 shooting 220 grain ammo. Some of the job candidates did not pass the qualification test. He never had trouble with bears that summer but the 30-06 was a comfort.

TR

406 261 0010 Talk to Steve. mtmuley
I doubt you will have trouble getting Hammer bullets, at least until more people find out about them. I placed an order with Steve for 30 cal bullets on 4/29/21, I got my shipping notice on 4/30, and I received them on 5/3.

You could also research what bullet Phil Shoemaker recommends. He has a bit of big bear experience.

I don't do magnums at all any more so from for what it's worth. I have always felt that the best bullet for a 300 mag would be a good 200 gr bullet. On something that bite's back I'm sure that's the way I'd go. I wouldn't lose any sleep over if it was a premium or not but then that's just me. I don't know if Speer still makes it but my choice would be the 200gr Hot Core. I'm sure that pretty much any premium would give the same results. When I lived up in Alaska, friend and I made several fishing trips up the Portage river. Saw huge bear tracks up there and carried along my 308 with those 200ge Speer Hot Core's. never worried if I had enough or not. You get a shot it will probably be fairly close and I would not want to risk a bullet failure. take a long shot and wound one and someone needs to follow it up! yep for me it would be 200 gr Hot Core.

Not long after the guy who is friends with the owner of Hammer I guess ;)
Ha. Sent you a PM about how many elk you killed with a Berger. Crickets. I already explained it to you once. If Hammers didn't work, I wouldn't use them. Friend or not. Go ahead and call Steve at 406 261 0010 and ask him if I would use Hammers just because we are friends. Were I to hunt Grizzly bears, I damn sure wouldn't use a Berger. Oh yeah, tell him Dale sent you. You might even learn something. mtmuley

I know this is crazy to admit on the internet, but my opinion won't be near as good as your guide's.
I think it would depend on the guide. I knew a guide up there doing Kodiak hunt's. His back up rifle was a custom in 505 Gibbs. The gun was made in Palmer and after firing one shot he'd eject the fired round and everything in the magazine exited at the same time. He felt because of the cartridge size it was alright, figured he only needed one shot. I knew several other's up there back then and they all though he was crazy! A 300 win mag with a good 200 gr bullet is power to spare! Of course given the right circumstances, right shot, even a 165 gr will take out the bear, they are not bullet proof! And you may not be bear proof! Time your going up the bears will have a lot of fat on them, heavy hide and big bones. Penetration is everything!

My brother spent a summer working for the forest service in grizzly country. His job was to count trees and estimate board feet of lumber for timber sales within western Montana. He had to qualify with a Remington pump action 30-06 shooting 220 grain ammo. Some of the job candidates did not pass the qualification test. He never had trouble with bears that summer but the 30-06 was a comfort.

TR
Seems to me that RN bullet's open somewhat faster than pointed bullets. Other wise I'd have mentioned the 220 gr RN also. But before a 180 gr I'd go with the 220 gr RN. Two thing's penetrate, velocity and weight. To much velocity can take the bullet apart before it penetrates enough. Then again to much weight may fail without enough velocity behind it. Should be able to get around 2800 fps with a 200 gr bullet in the 300 win mag. I think that is about a good velocity for it.

While not in a Grizzly or inland brown bear area, i'm thinking i might want something in a 50 BMG. :D

I'm leaning more with mtmuley in not wanting a Berger.
And i like Bergers.
But if the shot isn't perfect, and hits a large bone (shoulder) your not going to get the penetration you want.
If it were me, i'd be looking at something that holds together better.
Accubond, Partition, A-Frame, Hammer, Cutting Edge.

I don’t have personal experience but I do know my Dad got good results using 200 grain Partitions in his 300 H&H on his Alaskan brown bear hunt.

Ha. Sent you a PM about how many elk you killed with a Berger. Crickets. I already explained it to you once. If Hammers didn't work, I wouldn't use them. Friend or not. Go ahead and call Steve at 406 261 0010 and ask him if I would use Hammers just because we are friends. Were I to hunt Grizzly bears, I damn sure wouldn't use a Berger. Oh yeah, tell him Dale sent you. You might even learn something. mtmuley
You'll learn a lot. He helped us recently with loads for 300 H&H and .257 STW, pretty odd calibers. And I would load 31 gr Hammer Hunters for my .204 Ruger if I could just find some %$#^ small rifle primers.

This is not meant in any way except being honest. My husband and I have used Northfork, Norma, Nosler, Swift, Alaska, Woodleigh, and way back when I first started out with a 30-06, Winchester. If I did my part correctly they all worked the same, the bear died. I am currently using 250 gr Woodleigh in the 348, but for a 300 Win, I would recommend a minimum of 180 g. I would also use one of the many premium bullets currently on the market. We recently found Northfork bullets available, probably because of their cost. We have not yet ordered from mtmuley's friend, but plan on doing so in the future.

We do not recommend a bullet company to guests. We usually just suggest using a premium bullet, that it is heavy for caliber, especially, if bear is the purpose of the hunt.

This is not meant in any way except being honest. My husband and I have used Northfork, Norma, Nosler, Swift, Alaska, Woodleigh, and way back when I first started out with a 30-06, Winchester. If I did my part correctly they all worked the same, the bear died. I am currently using 250 gr Woodleigh in the 348, but for a 300 Win, I would recommend a minimum of 180 g. I would also use one of the many premium bullets currently on the market. We recently found Northfork bullets available, probably because of their cost. We have not yet ordered from mtmuley's friend, but plan on doing so in the future.

We do not recommend a bullet company to guests. We usually just suggest using a premium bullet, that it is heavy for caliber, especially, if bear is the purpose of the hunt.
I didn't realize Northfork bullets were still available. I have heard Europe talk of the Bitterroot. Great bullet. I am looking forward to your assessment of Hammers. Great thread on their site showing wound channel testing. mtmuley

Back