Caribou Gear Tarp

Berger Bullets

That is some jacket for a varmint bullet. Maybe they haven't always been that way? But the below bullet construction is pretty damn stout.

View attachment 317175
The Ballistic Tip Varmint had the old construction. The Ballistic Tip Hunting has the construction in your picture. Personally I preferred the old construction for all Ballistic Tips.

Last edited:
I started out using ballistic tips 20 years ago on deer, and they deer did indeed drop like a ton of bricks hit them. But after I hit one, unknowingly in the leg bone and it crippled the deer and I tracked him for 1/2 a mile and he stopped bleeding and I lost him, I swore off using ballistic tips. They are varmint bullets. That's it. I would never us them (or bergers) on a big animal like an elk. I think you are setting yourself up for problems. To the hunters that use them, and had success, great. But please acknowledge their big weaknesses. That was Randy Selig's main point in his video. I only hunt with TSX's, TTSX's or Accubonds, with Accubond's being my go to favorite.
The Bergers are superior to the old Ballistic Tips when hitting shallow bone. The new Ballistic Tip hunting is also, but it’s quite tough. The old Ballistic Tips definitely resulted in reports of near surface blowups and lack of penetration when, particularly when lighter bullets were paired with high impact velocities.

I’ve run Bergers through leg bones and shoulder blades with only a pencil sized hole going through. The Bergers usually don’t open until they’re in the chest, and then go to pieces. I shot a bull right on the knuckle with a 6.5mm 140gr Elite Hunter and there was literally no knuckle remaining. Just a softball sized hole where it had been. I didn’t open the chest to see how far into the lungs the bullet and bone fragments went, but it was far enough.

Below is the exit side shoulder of a cow elk shot with a 190VLD-H at 575yds and muzzle velocity of 2975fps. She dropped before I came out of recoil and I was momentarily concerned that I had missed.

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpeg
    IMG_0477.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I think it usually gets asked by Berger shooters because a lot of people that have “problems” don’t understand how bergers kill. Most want pretty little expanded bullets and exits and when they don’t see that with a Berger they claim failure. Bergers aren’t going to do that regularly. Would be like a person claiming failure when a hammer bullet sheds its petals and doesn’t look like a Barnes. They don’t understand how the bullet is suppose to perform.
Yeah, that’s definitely why I asked. I wanted to know if the animal died almost instantly after the bullet entered the rib cage and then fragmented wildly(what I want to happen) or if the animal was lost or the bullet tumbled or only made a pinhole like an FMJ.

My first Berger kill had two bullets act like FMJ’s, but I had been pointing them on a pointing die for shooting F-Class matches. Berger told me to stop pointing bullets I intended to hunt with, and I’ve been very pleased ever since. I have had one tumble, and initially blamed the impact angle hitting a rib almost parallel to the bullet nose. It’s possible that’s why it tumbled, but I’ve read a few other accounts of tumbling that were also bullets likely to be marginally stable. The one that tumbled for me was not fully stable, and that may have been the cause. I have since switched to only shooting fully stable bullets when hunting.

The old ballistic tip is the only bullet that I have seen fail imo. My brother shot a bull broadside in the lungs at 75 yards and hit a rib going in. 7 mag and the bullet pictured. The bullet exploded on the rib and caused a softball sized entrance wound but didn't reach the second lung.

We followed it way down into a hole and shot it again. They might work ok going slower.
I don't have a problem with soft bullets and have killed quite a few elk with SSTs and lately a few with eld-m.

I have seen a bunch of bull elk hit low & High and behind the shoulder with the 180 grn berger 7mm from 200yrds out to 800yrds every one was dead in 3 to 5 seconds and didn't go more than a few feet. Some of the shots even passed thru most did not and appeared to blow up. However, end result was the elk was dead in seconds and didn't go anywhere but down. I guess thats what happens when bullets fail? Ill call it exceptional bullet performance. Those same bullets punch holes in skoal cans at 500yrds repeatedly. Its just odd to me that a product so good gets such a bad rap on this forum even from those who never shoot them? I guess old Walt needs to buy some IPAS at BHA pint nite.

The old ballistic tip is the only bullet that I have seen fail imo. My brother shot a bull broadside in the lungs at 75 yards and hit a rib going in. 7 mag and the bullet pictured. The bullet exploded on the rib and caused a softball sized entrance wound but didn't reach the second lung.

We followed it way down into a hole and shot it again. They might work ok going slower.
I don't have a problem with soft bullets and have killed quite a few elk with SSTs and lately a few with eld-m.
That was the common complaint, and seems like the common scenario that resulted in complaints. Hot rod cartridges and high impact velocities. The Bergers seem to handle that better than the old Ballistic Tip did. I would bet that the same bullet from a 7-08 would have performed much better. I’m not sure if Nosler offered a Ballistic Tip heavy enough for a 7mag back then. While I like the old version better, it was probably best at muzzle velocities of 2800fps and below.

Sometimes it makes people's head explode if somebody doesn't care for frangible bullets. It's funny. mtmuley

I watched a buddy shoot a whitetail once with a berger out of a 308. I just remember thinking dang you could put a watermelon in the hole in the side of her.

It's those that made me realize an ELD-X is definitely a "tough enough" bullet. Somewhere between a berger and a solid copper bullet.

I’ve had great experience with Bergers. At 300+ yards almost always put two holes in them. Close range they usually don’t exit but don’t go far.

I shot this yring with a berger. A 280 rem with a berger 140 gr VLD. I live in the south. We get several doe tags. I am a big berger fan.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240303_225013_Photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_225013_Photos~2.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 24
I shot this yring with a berger. A 280 rem with a berger 140 gr VLD. I live in the south. We get several doe tags. I am a big berger fan.
Wow!! Honestly that might put me off of Bergers if I was getting that all the time!

I got a small exit on the white tail doe and no exit on the hog IIRC with a 190 VLD-H started off at 2975fps. Don’t remember the range on either. The doe was a little long, the hog was fairly close. The exit on the white tail was probably a few of the larger fragments as the insides were wrecked as usual.

Admittedly the two coyotes that I shot on that trip were blown nearly in half. Maybe a yearling only a little bigger than the coyotes would have been torn up by the 190 VLDs.

Attachments

• IMG_7091.png
    IMG_7091.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7092.png
    IMG_7092.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc