Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Berger Bullets

OMG yeah due to global warming the berger bullets are not as accurate as they used to be and since wolf populations are crashing in WY/IDAHO/MT you can't use berger bullets on a wuff hunt.

I can dig up show titles if you want. The early ones clearly showcased the bullet. Basically just set up and shoot shit far away. Hunting was secondary. At least that's how I saw it. mtmuley
And they mostly feature Gunwerks rifles.
When they went from 400ish yards to 600+ on a hunt for"a better angle", then set up in the middle of a road, i quit watching them.

As for bullet going in then "explode". That doesn't happen either.
The bullet goes in 1-3 inches, expands, and the thin jacket comes off of the core. Sometimes causing a tumbling of the bullet as it travels.

A year ago September i took a custom 6.5x284 as my light rifle to Tanzania and took eight animals with it. I took four animals using 140 grain Berger and four using Swift A Frame all shots well placed and one shot kills. I felt the Swift bullets had better terminal performance. have tried many different calibers over the decades as my light, safari rife They all worked but must confess if i went back again would take my favorite, a 300 Win Mag. Howevever I am 82 and have a hunch there will be no going back. Kindest Regards

Wife shot a cow elk-100 yards, broadside behind the front shoulder, went 10 yards and fell over, 30.06 with 168 gr VLD. Daughter one, .270 130Gr VLD rolled her cow over backwards after standing up, approx. 60 yards, Daughter two- 7mm-08 140 gr VLD Quartering to her, 82 yards dropped like a ton of bricks. Haven't seen any issues so far with the VLDs and haven't had to shoot very far either at this point. All one shot kills and did not have to track them down after the shots either. Hard to convince me otherwise at this point that they don't perform.

ive personally had good luck with bergers for shooting tight groups but will most likely never hunt wih them again. If i was building a rifle just to bang steel id shoot bergers.

ive personally had good luck with bergers for shooting tight groups but will most likely never hunt wih them again. If i was building a rifle just to bang steel id shoot bergers.
What happened?

Nothing gets a Berger shooters attention quicker than someone not liking them. 🙂 mtmuley

I think it usually gets asked by Berger shooters because a lot of people that have “problems” don’t understand how bergers kill. Most want pretty little expanded bullets and exits and when they don’t see that with a Berger they claim failure. Bergers aren’t going to do that regularly. Would be like a person claiming failure when a hammer bullet sheds its petals and doesn’t look like a Barnes. They don’t understand how the bullet is suppose to perform.

Some people don't like alot of things

View attachment 316836

“Our J4 Precision bullet jackets are extremely concentric, meaning nearly perfectly round and balanced”

“All of our hunting bullets have a thinner copper jacket than our target line of bullets, which ensures rapid expansion upon penetration“

“Berger also makes precision machined solid copper bullets with the same methodology of making the bullet perfectly round with minimal imperfections.”

Last edited:
I think it usually gets asked by Berger shooters because a lot of people that have “problems” don’t understand how bergers kill. Most want pretty little expanded bullets and exits and when they don’t see that with a Berger they claim failure. Bergers aren’t going to do that regularly. Would be like a person claiming failure when a hammer bullet sheds its petals and doesn’t look like a Barnes. They don’t understand how the bullet is suppose to perform.
But, some of us know. mtmuley

But, some of us know. mtmuley
I’m trying to remember the amount of big game animals I have shot with them. I am up to 13. All but one, were one shot kills all performed as advertised. 4 elk. Probably not statistically significant. Recently have had some poor results on coyotes but they aren’t built for that.

Edit: I have recently switched to ballistic tips and sierra’s out of boredom. I am not a Berger fanboy but they perform as advertised.

I’m trying to remember the amount of big game animals I have shot with them. I am up to 13. All but one, were one shot kills all performed as advertised. 4 elk. Probably not statistically significant. Recently have had some poor results on coyotes but they aren’t built for that.
Just like messing with the Berger guys. And yeah. I've used them. They don't do what I want a bullet to do. It's OK. mtmuley

Edit: I have recently switched to ballistic tips and sierra’s out of boredom. I am not a Berger fanboy but they perform as advertised.
The Ballistic Tip is possibly the most misunderstood bullet out there. mtmuley

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back