Beating the heat

bdidaho

After umpiring 7 out of 8 days in over 100 degree heat after working all day, a little high mountain stream fishing was definitely a welcome break from the heat. Even 6 hours of rain didn't seem to dampen our spirits much.
About 15 years ago I bought a small cat to run water too low for my bigger boats and get away from the crowds.I retrofitted it with pins and clips and 7 ft. full size Carlisle oars. I picked a road-less 14 mile stretch of river and 3 of us made our first trip that year. Only one of us has made the trip every year and it's not me. When the group got too big to be fun, I tried other spots and although they were fun there is something about this spot that just gets in you blood. It was good to float with 3 great friends, all good fisherman and boaters and even better people.
This year the water was perfect. High enough not to hit too many rocks but low enough for 12-15 inch cutts to wants to hammer a stimulator and a madam X.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 337
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 334
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 339
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 321
Great looking fish. You obviously have too much spare time on your hands with a fly box that organized. Hopefully I'll get to wet a line sometime this summer.

Looks like finny fun.

Umpiring all those games, and the ears don't look too burned by parents yelling at you!! I have seen and heard some parents that can really get on an umpire for any little thing that might upset little Jimmy/Susie.

Great looking fish. You obviously have too much spare time on your hands with a fly box that organized. Hopefully I'll get to wet a line sometime this summer.

I put that one in there to show the delicate, match the hatch fishing we were doing!!!!

Looks like finny fun.

Umpiring all those games, and the ears don't look too burned by parents yelling at you!! I have seen and heard some parents that can really get on an umpire for any little thing that might upset little Jimmy/Susie.

You know after a while you just don't listen to it anymore, after all yelling at the ump is part of baseball. It is funny how involved some parents get though. What makes them so mad in the top of the inning is the very thing they cheer for at the bottom. I started umpiring when my oldest boy was playing in 1986 because I couldn't keep my mouth shut!!!! I figured the only way I was going to see my boy play was to umpire and have to keep quiet. All I hope for is that I am fair to both sides and the kids have someone to look out for their safety. Besides you have the best seat in the house.

You know after a while you just don't listen to it anymore, after all yelling at the ump is part of baseball. It is funny how involved some parents get though. What makes them so mad in the top of the inning is the very thing they cheer for at the bottom. I started umpiring when my oldest boy was playing in 1986 because I couldn't keep my mouth shut!!!! I figured the only way I was going to see my boy play was to umpire and have to keep quiet. All I hope for is that I am fair to both sides and the kids have someone to look out for their safety. Besides you have the best seat in the house.
I hear ya! One of my funnest summers where I wasn't actually playing baseball was in college when I ump'ed 10 games a week (2 per night) for about 8 weeks in my quite small home town. Sure was a learning experience on my part and a whole lot of fun! Having grown up there, most all the parents knew me by name and so yelled at me as such instead of "blue" or "ump"! Good times! Even as bad as some of the boy's teams parents were, the girls softballl parents took the cake for being rough on umps. I even had a guy follow me to my truck after the game complaining! :D

My oldest played t-ball this summer so it won't be long before I get to start repaying some favors... ;)

I hear ya! One of my funnest summers where I wasn't actually playing baseball was in college when I ump'ed 10 games a week (2 per night) for about 8 weeks in my quite small home town. Sure was a learning experience on my part and a whole lot of fun! Having grown up there, most all the parents knew me by name and so yelled at me as such instead of "blue" or "ump"! Good times! Even as bad as some of the boy's teams parents were, the girls softballl parents took the cake for being rough on umps. I even had a guy follow me to my truck after the game complaining! :D

My oldest played t-ball this summer so it won't be long before I get to start repaying some favors... ;)

I'll agree with the softball comment. Little league is bad but ASA is even worse. Every kid is a superstar in their parents mind. I don't do softball anymore unless I'm forced!!
Funny story this year, One teams pitcher was struggling to throw strikes and the ones he did were getting ripped. He never made it out of the first. They make the change and the catcher turns to me and says " get ready blue, this guy can't throw a strike to save his life"!!
The players are great , it's the parents that are out of control.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back