Bear Spray or Pistol? Both?

Discharging while NOT drawing bear spray looks like the way to go. Keeps positive attachment in a scuffle and saves precious seconds.

I dont want to come across here as a negative nellie, but, if possible, it is better to take it off your belt, point it, at arms length, toward the bears face and spray him in the face. But before that---- Ignore them and back away slowly. Unlike women, ignoring them works most of the time.
Bears are far more predictable than humans! 🤷‍♂️

I feel 100% safer alone at night in bear woods than I feel downtown Saskatoon.
YES, on both counts !

I got nervous last week before bringing up to my waitress that she brought me a Miller Lite when I had asked for an Old Milwaukee.

I don’t like my chances of accurately holding on a charging griz. I carry spray but feel comfortable with spray and a rifle.

Last edited:
I got nervous last week before bringing up to my waitress that she brought me a Miller Lite when I had requested an Old Milwaukee.
Me to my wife: "this steak is overcooked, fries cold and beer warm..."
Waitress: "how's everything?"
Me: "it's great thanks!"

Also:

Me sleeping in a tent: "zzzzzzz"
Bear: *sniffing my stuff a few feet away*
Me: "HEY, F*CK RIGHT OFF BEAR!"

Discharging while NOT drawing bear spray looks like the way to go. Keeps positive attachment in a scuffle and saves precious seconds.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I want someone to create bear spray that can be deployed like a ninja smoke bomb. I'll throw it and just hit the dirt. And wait. And cry.

th

The investigators were charged and killed the bear ... the very same bear which had attacked the fisherman / photographer. It was later confirmed.
"Despite multiple attempts by all seven people to haze away the bear, it continued its charge. Due to this immediate safety risk, the bear was shot and died about 20 yards from the group. The bear was an older-age male grizzly."

They did not have the intent to kill this griz initially, with the assumption. It was the griz otherwise the seven fed and state employees would not attempt to haze away the griz. The griz continued its charge and was dead 20 yards away.

The content goes to show, by the actions of the fed and (or) state:
Shoot vs spray was used on a charging bear.
Spray was a distant second as the bear was dead before reaching an extreme maximum range of 20 yards.

I don't fault them one fraction. Law enforcement, a father, mother, whomever... use the best you're comfortable with. I would think, in this case, it was a shotgun and no... not loaded with bear deterrent rubber rounds.

Point is... for sake of this thread - self defense is just that. If the bear is charging, these fed and (or) state employees opted to shoot vs use spray, beyond 20 yards from where it died. If a mother, father, whomever shoots a charging griz from a distance beyond 20 yards - if it's charging at the person... that's a threat of serious bodily injury or death.
The person does not have to wait to see if it's a fake charge or not.

Didn't see your last response. Apologies for late reply.

"Despite multiple attempts by all seven people to haze away the bear, it continued its charge. Due to this immediate safety risk, the bear was shot and died about 20 yards from the group. The bear was an older-age male grizzly."

They did not have the intent to kill this griz initially, with the assumption. It was the griz otherwise the seven fed and state employees would not attempt to haze away the griz. The griz continued its charge and was dead 20 yards away.

The content goes to show, by the actions of the fed and (or) state:
Shoot vs spray was used on a charging bear.
Spray was a distant second as the bear was dead before reaching an extreme maximum range of 20 yards.

I don't fault them one fraction. Law enforcement, a father, mother, whomever... use the best you're comfortable with. I would think, in this case, it was a shotgun and no... not loaded with bear deterrent rubber rounds.

Point is... for sake of this thread - self defense is just that. If the bear is charging, these fed and (or) state employees opted to shoot vs use spray, beyond 20 yards from where it died. If a mother, father, whomever shoots a charging griz from a distance beyond 20 yards - if it's charging at the person... that's a threat of serious bodily injury or death.

Didn't see your last response. Apologies for late reply.
This is interesting and prompted a thought. Would a shotgun/slug gun with self defense style barrel and high capacity magazine be the ultimate bear defense weapon? Maybe loaded every other with slugs and 000 buckshot?

This is interesting and prompted a thought. Would a shotgun/slug gun with self defense style barrel and high capacity magazine be the ultimate bear defense weapon? Maybe loaded every other with slugs and 000 buckshot?
TBH, on most Canadian forums this seems to be the consensus in terms of firearms carry in bear country. But we also cannot legally carry a handgun... In terms of efficiency, I'd much prefer a shotgun but if I were to carry it all day everyday I'd compromise for a handgun...

Probably not. Folks overestimate the capabilities of a slug because it’s big. In reality they deform easily, which CAN limit penetration. Shot placement is your first concern, followed by penetration.

A shotgun is fine, but there are better options. All you need to do is look to what a PH in Africa would carry.

As with anything in life, there are pros and cons to each, depending on your situation that will influence your decision.

Probably not. Folks overestimate the capabilities of a slug because it’s big. In reality they deform easily, which CAN limit penetration. Shot placement is your first concern, followed by penetration.

A shotgun is fine, but there are better options. All you need to do is look to what a PH in Africa would carry.
I think the better argument for a shotgun is ease of aim and pattern when using buck shot.

At the end of the day, whatever you use will be pretty much useless if you are not comfortable or used to it...

This also really highlights the issue of bear awareness. Those professionals had the education & wisdom to make that decision based on previous encounters, and an understanding of that specific bear's intentions.

Me showing up at home with a gently used double rifle in 450 NE: "It's for the bears."

Wife: Stare of death

Me: I'm following professional advice about protecting us from the grizzly bear invasion.

Wife: We live in Michigan now.

Me: Flick said he saw a grizzly bears down at Pulaski's candy store.

Wife: Stare of death times 12

I think the better argument for a shotgun is ease of aim and pattern when using buck shot.

At the end of the day, whatever you use will be pretty much useless if you are not comfortable or used to it...
Even still, buckshot has limited abilities to penetrate through bone and heavy tissue relative to a large bore rifle slug. Ive seen the performance of buckshot. It works, with limitations. There certainly is a psychological component that compels folks to feel more comfortable with buckshot than they would a rifle, despite the fact the rifle very likely to be more effective.

I got nervous last week before bringing up to my waitress that she brought me a Miller Lite when I had requested an Old Milwaukee.

I don’t like my chances of accurately holding on a charging griz. I carry spray but feel comfortable with spray and a rifle.

What do you mean? Everyone is apparently a hero on the 1-way range....

Most bear attacks are sudden encounters for both the bear and the person attacked. Certainly if you recreate in bear habitat and keep a powerful firearm at the ready cuz you're certain there's an attacking bear behind one of those bushes ahead, you just may be able to at least wound the bear. But when I'm out fishing, hiking, backpacking, and otherwise recreating I'm not really interested in toting a heavy big bore or heavy slug firearm around. Personally, I just pack bear spray and practice bear aware ... making sure my wife or my hunting buddy has bear spray.

More concern is for safely reaching the trailhead by avoiding the drunk driver or road rage nutcase ... there are way more of those and spread much further and wider than bears!

Shotgun is the best protective tool from griz... as with any tool, comfort comes with any/every item intended to save a life... be it spray, handgun, or long gun.

There's a reason FWP in MT and elsewhere keep an 870 / other shotgun in their arsenal. They're not carrying the M4 when investigating a griz incident.

Weight wise, no chance in hell, less horseback, would I lug the weight of a shotgun into the Bob. Handgun and bearspray.
Spray a good haze.and if it continues charging... time to let the lead fly. I'm not popping pistol rounds 25-30 yards out. Rifle? If time permits... yep. It charges - lead flies

Even still, buckshot has limited abilities to penetrate through bone and heavy tissue relative to a large bore rifle slug. Ive seen the performance of buckshot. It works, with limitations. There certainly is a psychological component that compels folks to feel more comfortable with buckshot than they would a rifle, despite the fact the rifle very likely to be more effective.
You're completely right, but I'd rather have 2-3 buck shot pellets hit a bear over a clean hardcast miss!!!

+1

1oz slugs, not mush is going to hit harder, or break more bone in close quarters....

+1

1oz slugs, not mush is going to hit harder, or break more bone in close quarters....
You're completely right, but I'd rather have 2-3 buck shot pellets hit a bear over a clean hardcast miss!!!
Shotgun is the best protective tool from griz... as with any tool, comfort comes with any/every item intended to save a life... be it spray, handgun, or long gun.

There's a reason FWP in MT and elsewhere keep an 870 / other shotgun in their arsenal. They're not carrying the M4 when investigating a griz incident.

Weight wise, no chance in hell, less horseback, would I lug the weight of a shotgun into the Bob. Handgun and bearspray.
Spray a good haze.and if it continues charging... time to let the lead fly. I'm not popping pistol rounds 25-30 yards out. Rifle? If time permits... yep. It charges - lead flies

A shotgun is very effective, but as has been mentioned, it is a bit cumbersome . The only time I carry a shotgun is when bird hunting, but we do keep one in the sled, canoe, or plane. I can carry a handgun (wilderness permit) but I usually dont, except when working the traplines, as I find the win 71 ( lever action ) works best for me. Another issue for me is the cold weather. There is a point where bear spray is useless. Also DOLP is an option and we are allowed to hunt grizzly ( and polar on a more limited basis ). So if one wont leave us alone, he is dinner;)
Most bear attacks are sudden encounters for both the bear and the person attacked. Certainly if you recreate in bear habitat and keep a powerful firearm at the ready cuz you're certain there's an attacking bear behind one of those bushes ahead, you just may be able to at least wound the bear. But when I'm out fishing, hiking, backpacking, and otherwise recreating I'm not really interested in toting a heavy big bore or heavy slug firearm around. Personally, I just pack bear spray and practice bear aware ... making sure my wife or my hunting buddy has bear spray.

More concern is for safely reaching the trailhead by avoiding the drunk driver or road rage nutcase ... there are way more of those and spread much further and wider than bears!
polar bears are the exception, as they follow and stalk. Since I dont took like a seal, they are curious and sometimes hungry. They tend to walk straight toward you with their head down and if you dont run or defend yourself in some way they would walk right up to you before taking a bite, so you try to discourage them before they get to close. this is when we do use a shotgun or aerial flares in a effort to make it look elsewhere for dinner. Bear spray only works if the wind is at your back and it is not minus 25 or colder., however I believe this thread os referring to the Grizzly
In 20 years at the Pd we shot three people. 20 years guiding, one bear.
Exactly. Which was my point earlier about taking the boy into the mountains, Dog attacks, car accidents, drowning, accidental firearm discharges, ------

Also, it should be noted that Salmonchaser has killed one bear in 20 years, but confronts possibly one or three a day during the summer months. He is alert, bear smart and prepared

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back