Caribou Gear

Bear Meat

I love it!! Just be sure to cook it well done!! I have done braised roasts and made a bbq pulled bear roast, I have done chicken fried steaks since I have a cuber. made bear and rice and veggie soup for my wife when she was sick... there is so much you can do with bear meat. But....all the bear I've had has been grass fed spring bears, so that might make a difference.

Love it, avocado fed bear is about as good as it gets.

I make a killer soup from the burger, but the burger by itself is amazing. I still regret tossing some of the fat from my last bear so I could get the pack to a manageable weight... That was dumb.

Have only shot one. I just ground it all up because of others' dissenting opinions, but wish I had done more with it. We turned most of it into breakfast sausage, which was delicious, but really doesn't have much to do with bear meat. With all the spices that go into breakfast sausage, I could have just as well been eating a skunk.

I'm going to have to be one to admit that I'm not killing bears because I love bear meat and I want to feed my family with it. Same would go for wolves and cats. My mountain goat fed the birds of the local raptor center, after numerous attempts to make it palatable.

I love to hunt. I also have functional taste buds and a fear of muscle worm. If anybody wants to provide me an address, I'll gladly ship some bear meat to them this spring, as we are required to bring it all out in MT.

When your freezer has 300lbs of elk, 200lbs of deer, and 50lbs of antelope in the freezer, when are you going to grab the bear meat? Oh maybe for a novelty meal for guests from the city.

We turned most of it into breakfast sausage, which was delicious, but really doesn't have much to do with bear meat. With all the spices that go into breakfast sausage, I could have just as well been eating a skunk.

Those are my thoughts. Anything is good when turned into pulled sandwiches, jerky, sausage or hot links. Labrador retriever would taste fine turned into sausage.

A bear steak doesn't hold a candle to a deer or an elk steak. Plus, I just can't stand game meat cooked a second longer than medium rare. The next one I kill I'm gonna have it tested so I can cook it rare.

When your freezer has 300lbs of elk, 200lbs of deer, and 50lbs of antelope in the freezer, when are you going to grab the bear meat? Oh maybe for a novelty meal for guests from the city.

+1

Same issue I have with the ducks/geese, sad to say they don't get eaten until the freezer is empty and it's 3 days before pay day!

You could probably grind up a litter of house cats and throw some seasoning in there that would make it yummy, but I'd let them freezer burn, then toss it in the trash when making space for elk or deer.

Since FWP no longer trich tests (or even ages them anymore), we shouldn't be required to bring it out in my opinion. Glad they don't require we keep the meat on cats and wolves. I'm sure we'd be reading good recipes for them on-line by the subsistence folks, while 99.99% of the meat is actually thrown in the trash or freezer burned.

You could probably grind up a litter of house cats and throw some seasoning in there that would make it yummy, but I'd let them freezer burn, then toss it in the trash when making space for elk or deer.

Since FWP no longer trich tests (or even ages them anymore), we shouldn't be required to bring it out in my opinion. Glad they don't require we keep the meat on cats and wolves. I'm sure we'd be reading good recipes for them on-line by the subsistence folks, while 99.99% of the meat is actually thrown in the trash or freezer burned.

Haha.

Luckily in Idaho you don't have to bring out any predator meat.

Back