Caribou Gear

Be very careful in MT, state use permits, you may NEED both kinds, check it out people

D4570

I was just out at the FWP to get all my licenses.
You all know how we have a use permit on our Conservation license? That does let up access state trust lands to hunt and fish BUT.
Not recreational shooting only hunting and fishing, AND.
Coyotes, gophers, and P dogs are NOT game animals, so your, are Not "Hunting" where you're shooting them. Your permit does NOT let you use state lands for that. We need to have the additional use permit for recreation, another ten bucks, permit.
I Talked with the Warden at the Regional FWP office in Great Falls. SOOO All that said when we go out and sight in or test loads or shoot gophers, we all need the recreational state use permit. You have to ask for it when you get all licensed up. Including calling coyotes...
BE advised.

Good info. Thanks. I just p/u my '21 license. I thought it really odd it was only 107$???

I ran it through a retail store. I requested the sportsman w/ bear and archery.

I stated, that seemed really cheap. Less than I paid prior year's. He replied, "well that's a good thing to pay less as a resident. I responded, it needs to raise. Proper wages and staffing for our wardens and biologists.
His reply? That's what Non Residents are for... wasn't worth continuing that discussion. I smiled and walked out.

Sitting in my truck in the parking lot, having seen your message, now I know why it's less than before. I blanked on state land permits. Think I'll go online to finish my purchase.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize I needed two separate state permits.

Good reminder that State Trust Lands aren't there for you to enjoy, but aren't there to make money for the trust.

The ability to hunt & fish on trust lands in MT wasn't granted until around the mid-90's. Lots of folks forget that. Extending the recreation angle to other activities meant an extra fee.

Folks in favor of the transfer of public lands never remember that aspect.

I thought at one time, all I needed was my MT vehicle registration to use the non hunting portion... I missed the two permit portion though I like it.

I thought at one time, all I needed was my MT vehicle registration to use the non hunting portion... I missed the two permit portion though I like it.
Yep, unless you choose "opt out" the Montana vehicle registration will allow use of state parks. State lands hunting comes with the Conservation License, but other state lands recreation is covered by the second permit. I like it too and think it's not much of a price to pay to recreate on some great state lands.

Than being said, I don't want to derail this thread but merely to make a point about respecting state lands by not leaving all your damn expended shotgun shells, bright colored chunks of clay pigeons, and sundry pieces of target paraphernalia and other litter strewn all over the place as you depart our public state lands. Lately it is a real problem!

I tell my nonhunting friends that they need this and they get all fluffed up about the $10 while buying a $15 6-pack of ciders...I can't get it to sink in that DNRC is out to make $ on those lands and that it was only recently that those lands were opened up to recreational users.

Last edited:
Back