Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Be the Decoy "ROCKS"!!!

pointingdogsrule

I am a guy who unfortunately likes "gadgets"...... a new turkey call or decoy or whatever. I tried the Dutton decoy and antelope challenge call years ago, however they were somewhat cumbersome. You guessed it, I buy the "Be the Decoy".

I headed out to Wyoming last Sunday for antelope. I was successful last year gun hunting and decided to try the bow for the 5 days before rifle season.

Day 1 (Monday)
stalk #1: got to with in 100 yards of a buck and a doe. She showed interest and came a little closer, however, they got hung-up. After 15 minutes and them watching bucks chase each other around 500 yards to the east I give up and head east.

stalk #2: I see two lone bucks bedded down at 350 yards and start my approach. I enter a gully and pop up at 80 yards. Neither wanted anything to do with me and were off.

stalk #3: I see two "doe" at 300 yards and start another stalk in the gully. They show mild interest so I take my time. I remember Randy saying he acts like an antelope. As I bob my head and paw the ground them come closer. They get to 48 yards and give me a nice broadside shot. As I look closer I notice that the horns are quite "large".... possibly young bucks?? I decide not to shot and later read the manual on how to tell a young buck from a doe (the black cheek patch). I believe that they were young bucks.

stalk #4. 500 yards to the south I see a lone buck... what the heck. The stalk is on and I get to 150 yards over the flat terrian before a doe also gets up. I drop low to the ground and start being an antelope once more. She come close to investigate..... 60 yards across the dirt road then she runs and circles me. She is now on my side of the road at 50 yards and the buck following at 60 yards. He never comes any closer.

That was the end of day #1... only a half day. It was fun seeing how they react to scent the Be the Decoy outfit. Do not try on lone bucks was a lesson learned. Stay as low as possible until close.

Day #2 (Tuesday) My forgot some things so I headed into town. I take all my bow stuff and decide to hunt on the way back. On the way into town I hit an area that proved good last year during the rifle season. Bedded off the road (8:30 am) is a buck and 8 doe just the other side of a little hill. What the heck... just to tempting to pass on! He is a mature buck and I am NOT PICKY. I pull off and make it to the hill and start crawling on my hands and knees. I keep looking up to try and locate the buck. I see his horns and he is looking my way. I stop and be patient. He comes closer to I range him at 53 yards. As he parallels me I take a quartering shot from my knees and miss cleanly. He jumps and all the does get up and run 80 yards away and look at me. They stand and stare. Luckily there is a large telephone pole between us. I re-nock and start to crawl alway leaving the pole between me and the goats (it's a very large pole and hides me well). I pop out and range them at 51 yards. The buck turns and gives be a broadside shot. I release and the arrow goes too far forward (most likely me "peeking" and a 15 MPH cross wind). He goes 200 yards and beds down as the rest of the does leave the area. I watch for 2 hours as he tries to stand and open mouth breathes. I then go to town with the hope that he will expire (I have his location maked). When I get back he is still bedded down and his head is wobbling. It has now been 4 hours. I decide to do a stalk since I am not sure how lethal the hit is. He gets up as I approach and runs 80 yards away and just walks. I can tell he is weak. I slowly follow him and slowly gain ground. At one point he does that antelope "bounce" when I am within 50 yards. Apparently that tired him out and he beds down. I was able to sneek close to him and make a shot.

Not the perfect first shot as it just nicked his windpipe. I am glad that I spent all that time to watch him and follow-up on the animal. Seems like no matter how much you practice at those distances it's always different in the real-life situation.

I continued to stalk antelope for the remaining 2 days to fill my doe tag. Had close encounters (at 40 yards), however, no really good shots and after the buck I was a little hesitant. The does always seem to look right at you and do not present a good shot. Had one buck at 38 yards.

Hey, I met another HUNTTALKER out in Wyoming!!!

Took a doe on opening day of rifle season with "IDbrock's" old 25-06. She shoots real straight.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

good luck to all
the dog

One added comment. As I am hunting for does a Game Warden stops me and asks if I "know where I am... pirvate or public". I respond; "public". He says "are you sure"?. I say: "yep, my HuntingGPSmaps on my garmin can tell me exactly where I am". He says: "all I have is the worn out paper map they gave me". We both had a good laugh.

He then laughed and asked a favor of me: "please take that stupid hat off". Of course my response was: "that stupid hat helped me get a buck on Tuesday"...... another good laugh.

good luck to all
the dog

Heh! That is great! Bet the warden is considering the purchase of that "Stupid hat"... Haha!

Thanks for the story and pics! Grats on some fine eats and horns! Good times for sure! What Garmin do you have?

Congrats on your buck! Way to stay with him and finish the hunt you started. Job well done!

Congrats dog that is a great buck. Nice meeting you,sorry we didnt get a chance to make it to your camp. The story about the fish and game stopping you is funny,the day before the opener I had a forester stop us and ask us if we knew where we were at and if we were on public or private.I too showed him my gps and his response was "i guess you do".LOL

Good job.i tried the goofy hat thing this year,every buck that saw it boogied.I'm guessing the trick is to get in close before revealing yourself.Also i think a high density of bucks helps.The area I hunted didn't have good stalking terrain,or many antelope.The bucks were pretty well established with their harems and not interested in confrontation.Right place at the right time must be the key.

Great job! If I ever get out that way to chase them you know I will "Be The Decoy". I can only sit in a ground blind for so long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back