MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Barrel Break In

thomas89

Got out to the range the other day with the new rifle. Followed the break-in procedures to the T. Can't say that it'll do any good, but I don't imagine it'd harm it either way.

Opinions on barrel break-in? Processes?

I've never done it. All my rifles shoot MOA. Some like to though, and like you said, it probably wouldn't hurt. I do clean the packing grease out a new gun before shooting it though.

This is for and from Shilen Rifles
"
How should I break-in my new Shilen barrel?
Break-in procedures are as diverse as cleaning techniques. Shilen, Inc. introduced a break-in procedure mostly because customers seemed to think that we should have one. By and large, we don't think breaking-in a new barrel is a big deal. All our stainless steel barrels have been hand lapped as part of their production, as well as any chrome moly barrel we install. Hand lapping a barrel polishes the interior of the barrel and eliminates sharp edges or burrs that could cause jacket deformity. This, in fact, is what you are doing when you break-in a new barrel through firing and cleaning.
Here is our standard recommendation: Clean after each shot for the first 5 shots. The remainder of the break-in is to clean every 5 shots for the next 50 shots. During this time, don't just shoot bullets down the barrel during this 50 shot procedure. This is a great time to begin load development. Zero the scope over the first 5 shots, and start shooting for accuracy with 5-shot groups for the next 50 shots. Same thing applies to fire forming cases for improved or wildcat cartridges. Just firing rounds down a barrel to form brass without any regard to their accuracy is a mistake. It is a waste of time and barrel life. "

I think it was on a meateater podcast a few months back, they were talking to a savage rep, his thoughts are that it makes no difference to a barrel if you do any break in procedure at all. Shoot em, clean em.

I think it was on a meateater podcast a few months back, they were talking to a savage rep, his thoughts are that it makes no difference to a barrel if you do any break in procedure at all. Shoot em, clean em.

This. Just go choot it! It will be a good barrel-or not. My rifles have always been 1/2-1 moa rifles and I have never done any procedure. I used to laugh at a sniper buddy of mine and his break-ins. He quit the BS when he talked to a friend of his that makes barrels.

I was going to say the Savage website had one of the more in depth procedures! Interesting difference of opinion from one of their reps.

The Howa instructions called for only a box of shells. I had some junk Winchester PowerMax bonded shells to burn anyways.

Any more in depth and I don't know that I'd have tried. 20 shells and a couple hours wasn't too bad to me. I've heard the more expensive barrels don't require a break in because they are machined so precisely in the first place. Something like that anyways.

What does barrel break in do? Keep them shooting straight for a longer period? Doubt it.. Make a rifle more accurate? That makes me laugh.

Most rigs today are more accurate than the person attached to them know, The limiting factors that come into play way before a proper barrel break in are crappy scopes and mounts, bad technique, wind, lousy triggers, parallax, and coffee..

What does barrel break in do? Keep them shooting straight for a longer period? Doubt it.. Make a rifle more accurate? That makes me laugh.

When the manufacturer of custom rifles and barrels suggest break-in techniques, I tend to error on the side of those experts. For me, I know I don't need to clean mine as often as some of my other rifles. More accurate....I don't know, but it does group very nicely even though I used the break-in techniques suggested.

Everyone has an opinion, so if you think it is a waste of time, don't do it. I will go with what was recommended by the professional that built my rifle.

My understanding was that it was to smooth out imperfections in the barrel?

Also said something about creating a "memory" in a barrel.

I believe the instructions that came with it said that it will help prevent stringing of a pattern when the barrel gets hot.

When the manufacturer of custom rifles and barrels suggest break-in techniques, I tend to error on the side of those experts. For me, I know I don't need to clean mine as often as some of my other rifles. More accurate....I don't know, but it does group very nicely even though I used the break-in techniques suggested.

Everyone has an opinion, so if you think it is a waste of time, don't do it. I will go with what was recommended by the professional that built my rifle.

Have any cryo treated barrels?

No, just pointing out that barrel makers and 'smiths aren't immune to pushing a little snake oil..

(but I think you knew that.. (wink))..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back