Barnes 7mm 168gr LRX

KRasmussen

I have started working a new load for the new Barnes 168gr LRX in 7mm and was wondering if anyone else has tried shooting it? I originally started development back in April but between work, life, money etc I have not been able to finish. With hunting season quickly approaching I want to get back after it.
I loaded some with both RL22 and H1000 and the RL22 gave disappointing results. I think its too much weight for the powder. However, the H1000 looks promising. All federal brass with Federal 215 primers and 67.5gr of H1000 I am just over 2800 fps. I also had the initial loads set .030 off the lands. While speed is acceptable accuracy was not, 2"+ groups at 100 yds. Twist rate on the gun is 1:9.5 however Barnes recommends 1:9. Could the half be enough to keep from stabilizing the round?
The gun is Howa 1500 and will shoot the 145gr LRX all day long at 1/2".

I think the 1 in 9.5 is playing a factor.................I'm going to be trying some very shortly and I'll let you know if I have the same results.

I'm shooting the 180 grain bergers in my 7 short mag right now at 2960 fps with RE22. Looking promising as the first group with 63 gr of powder was right at 0.375".

I think the 1 in 9.5 is playing a factor.................I'm going to be trying some very shortly and I'll let you know if I have the same results.

I'm shooting the 180 grain bergers in my 7 short mag right now at 2960 fps with RE22. Looking promising as the first group with 63 gr of powder was right at 0.375".
I would love to give the Bergers a try but the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia kinda frowns on lead projectiles in the area I hunt.
I did also load up some more of H1000 tonight and a little hotter load, max is 70.5gr. I also backed them off the lands an additional .010. Maybe that extra little "jump" will help too.

A 71.5 gr charge of Retumbo w/168's bet 3060 fps in my 7mag with no pressure signs.

I did get to the range with some new loads a week ago. 70gr of H1000 got me to 3038fps and accuracy was OK. I was sighted in at 200 yds and then had a scope ring issue and had to call it quits. I will be back out again in a few days but so far it looks promising.

I've got a couple of boxes of 168s that I'm going to load in my Mashburn once it is finished. I'd experiment with 7828 as well, it tends to like heavier bullets in my experience. Also Barnes recommends as .050 jump and I have found that to be the case when loading TTSXs and LRX. Good luck, I'm anxious to see how it turns out. For kicks and giggle I'm going to do a couple of the 168s in my wife's 7x57.

I am happy with the velocity I am getting from the H1000 and will probably stick with that. I have been loading the 145gr LRX as well and it is most accurate at .030 off the lands. Barnes does recommend a jump for best accuracy and they have stated they have seen the most accurate at .050. But that is in their testing with their equipment. I will be backing the 168's off another .010 and see where that gets me. I am hoping it will close up the 2" to something a little better.

Tips

Achieving optimum accuracy with Barnes all-copper bullets.

1) Thoroughly clean your barrel with an aggressive copper remover (Barnes CR-10 or Sweets 7.62). Our all-copper Triple Shock X Bullet is made of a softer material than used in conventional jacketed bullets. Be sure to clean any jacket fouling from your barrel before you shoot TSX Bullets. We’ve found that jacket fouling diminishes accuracy with our bullets.

2) Because TSX Bullets are all-copper, they have different pressure characteristics compared to conventional jacketed bullets. In our lab, we have experienced best pressures and accuracy when TSX Bullets are seated .030″ – .070″ off the lands (the grooves or rifling in a barrel.) The majority of the time, we’ve seen optimum accuracy when bullets are seated .050″ off the lands, so start there. Then move backward or forward in .005″ – .010″ increments to find the “sweet spot” for your particular rifle.

Try using a lighter weight bullet.

Because the TSX Bullet retains nearly 100 percent of its original weight and penetrates so well, many shooters select a lighter-weight TSX Bullet over a heavier conventional bullet. The lighter TSX Bullet delivers higher velocites and a flatter trajectory, and outperforms heavier bullets of conventional design.

Not to hijack but I've been tnkering with the notion of a 168 barnes in a 300 win mag....anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back