Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Barnes LRX Load data

Not a QL fan. I know it works, but still needs an experienced loader. I never use anyone else's data. It's relatively easy with the net to find safe data. Especially these days. My first handloads for my RUM were worked up with zero published data. So, it can be done. mtmuley
Not a QL fan either but have used it before to at least get an idea of where to start with a given powder/bullet that might not have published data.

It looks like pretty much all loads are going to be compressed with long copper projectiles in a short mag. So 2 options:

1. Get a long drop tube so the powder settles better into the case.

2. Put a very light crimp on them with a Lee Factory Crimp Die after seating the projectile so you don’t have to worry about the compressed powder pushing the projectile out and giving you inconsistent OAL.

I actually quoted 3 different manufacturers published load data. All 3 are very different and barnes data is a lot higher than the rest. After I pulled my initial loads and loaded to the minimum Data published by nosler for their 180gr e-tip I came here to talk about it and get some advice.

I have a 300 WSM in a Weatherby Vanguard. My current load is sub MOA. I use Barnes LRX with 62.3 grns RE 17, federal match large rifle magnum primers, and a COL of 2.82. I believe I am right around 3000 FPS but nut positive.

Here, if you really want it spelled out.

Pick a starting charge weight and load 1 round each, working up in 0.5gr-1gr increments. Stop when you reach pressure signs that make you uncomfortable. If you don’t know how to read pressure signs then I guess Google it or stop when you see ejector marks or get increased bolt lift effort. Back off to where there were no pressure signs.

For Hybrid 100V do 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 66.5, 67, 67.5, 68, 68.5, 69.

Here, if you really want it spelled out.

Pick a starting charge weight and load 1 round each, working up in 0.5gr-1gr increments. Stop when you reach pressure signs that make you uncomfortable. If you don’t know how to read pressure signs then I guess Google it or stop when you see ejector marks or get increased bolt lift effort. Back off to where there were no pressure signs.

For Hybrid 100V do 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 66.5, 67, 67.5, 68, 68.5, 69.
Why the asinine remark? Earlier in the thread I talked about my ladder, I started at 62.2 and went up .4 gr increments.

Why the asinine remark?
I actually quoted 3 different manufacturers published load data. All 3 are very different and barnes data is a lot higher than the rest. After I pulled my initial loads and loaded to the minimum Data published by nosler for their 180gr e-tip I came here to talk about it and get some advice.
It seemed like you weren’t happy with the advice you had received, so I spelled it out in detail. Wasn’t trying to be a dick.

It seemed like you weren’t happy with the advice you had received, so I spelled it out in detail. Wasn’t trying to be a dick.
That one response was to respond to another persons comment but it didn't quote them for some reason, I do appreciate everyone's comments and advice, no hard feelings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back