Barnes LRX Load data

DamascusSteel

So bought a sample pack of the 175gr LRX for my 300WSM. Went to the Barnes load data they have on their website. For the H100V powder they show 62gr all the way to 68.8. At 66.8 gr which is where I started, should have started lower I know but I'm already compressed and at 62.2 gr which is where I started in the end is close to being a full case.
Nosler is showing a max charge of 64.0 for their 180gr ETIP
Hornady is showing max charge of 62.9 for their 180gr GMX
Anybody have any advice?

What OAL are you running? Have you measured your lands with the 175? Also a compressed load doesn’t necessarily mean an over pressure/hot load.
I’d start .050 off the lands if your magazine allows for that length and start at 62gr working up in .5gr increments watching for pressure signs.

I loaded to the Barnes recommendation of 2.86 which for my rifle is .087 jump. I only have 12 bullets to work with. I started at 62.2 and went up .4 gr to 64.2.

Hornady always seems a little light on their Max load data. Like cahunter said, I start 50 thousandths off the lands usually and work my way up in charge weight until I find something I like. If I desire more accuracy I play with seating depth then. Personally, I wouldn't start that high. I would start around 62 then work up and see where that's putting me for velocity. I usually have a good idea where I'm going/wanting to be in terms of velocity.

I'd get more bullets. 12 isn't very many when you're starting to work up a new load.

Hornady always seems a little light on their Max load data. Like cahunter said, I start 50 thousandths off the lands usually and work my way up in charge weight until I find something I like. If I desire more accuracy I play with seating depth then. Personally, I wouldn't start that high. I would start around 62 then work up and see where that's putting me for velocity. I usually have a good idea where I'm going/wanting to be in terms of velocity.

I'd get more bullets. 12 isn't very many when you're starting to work up a new load.
Yeah I wish the sample packs were a little bigger submoashooting. com is where I got them. I figured I'd load up a 6 shot ladder then I'd have 6 bullets left to either push hotter or see what group I get

Seems that Barnes data has always been higher than others, with that being said, I have had no issues following their data. Probably 90% of my rifle loads have been compressed.

I am shooting lrx in my 300wsm but went with reloader and Norma brass.
Not sure i can offer anything other than the usual load development.

Just ran your setup through Quick Load. With the 175LRX and Hodgdon Hybrid 100v anything over 63.3gr puts you over max pressure. Tread lightly.
Hey man I appreciate that, I will definitely be watching for pressure signs. I wonder if the formula for 100v has changed since barnes published that data

Hey man I appreciate that, I will definitely be watching for pressure signs. I wonder if the formula for 100v has changed since barnes published that data
Earlier this morning I found an error with my QL program. It Listed the max pressure for the 300wsm 2000psi lower than the SAAMI recommended. I've adjusted it and used the numbers for Nosler brass. With 100v you could go up to 65.5gr.

Earlier this morning I found an error with my QL program. It Listed the max pressure for the 300wsm 2000psi lower than the SAAMI recommended. I've adjusted it and used the numbers for Nosler brass. With 100v you could go up to 65.5gr.
That makes a bit more sense now and as already suggested watch for pressure signs and work up accordingly.

That makes me feel a little better I my ladder ends at 64.2 so I according to that, I still have room to play.

No offense to anyone, but if you are new to reloading, stick to published data. Not QL reccomendations or data from others. mtmuley
This is great advice except the QL projections in this case are lower than Barnes published data.

This is great advice except the QL projections in this case are lower than Barnes published data.
Not a QL fan. I know it works, but still needs an experienced loader. I never use anyone else's data. It's relatively easy with the net to find safe data. Especially these days. My first handloads for my RUM were worked up with zero published data. So, it can be done. mtmuley

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back