Compressed load data for Nosler E Tip

COElkChaser

Was looking at the reloading data for 30-06 and Nosler E Tip 168 gr. They list a max charge of H4350 at 57.5 gr and label it compressed.

If I were working up towards that point, when would you not have a compressed charge? 56.5 gr? 57gr? 57.4 gr?

Also, a compressed charge would be dependent on seating depth, right? I'm assuming Nosler lists the load as compressed for the listed seating depth, but what would you suggest if I needed to seat deeper?

I don't know your level of loading experience, so forgive me if it seems I'm over-simplifying this. I tend to over answer sometimes.

This page in the Nosler book is a little unsettling to me. If you miss their warnings and jump to the max load with the E-Tip, you are already in trouble.

If you increase the seating depth, you need to go back to the starting load and work up again. The E-Tip is a copper monolith and is longer than the other bullets on that page. They also list a shorter C.O.A.L. of 3.300" for the E-Tip, even further reducing the usable capacity of the case.

Do not skip the note in the Nosler book that says always begin at the START load for E-Tip bullets. According to Quickload software, Nosler's MAX load is over the SAAMI max pressure for .30-06 if used for the E-Tip
My software does show their start load of 53.5 is a safe load. But I show it as compressed too. I don't have any 168 E-Tips on the shelf or I would put a few together and test that.

Compression is not bad, in fact it's more consistent than a load which shows 100% density but brass differences make some rounds not full, some full, and some compressed.

Start low and work up slowly.

Seating depth is one of the variables which brings a load to compressed density. Every case has a somewhat different capacity. Some brands are more consistent than others. Serious accuracy nuts will size and trim their brass, then sort it by weight. The outside dimensions being the same, if they weigh the same then the internal capacity should be the same. Controlling as many variables as you can gives you more accurate loads.

Even if a recipe calls a load 100% density (full but not compressed yet), your mileage may vary because of those variables. In the vernacular, a load density above 100% would be a compressed load. For me the only way to know when I've hit 100% is to put the finished round up to my ear and shake it. You can hear the powder shake if it is less than full.

56.9, what are you concerned with? I’ve ran 63 grs of rl 22 in a 06 case w 165’s, gotta pre pack it before you pull the funnel off, level with the case mouth before you seat the bullet.. 114%, lots of crunch..

But as always, work up to max loads, using your seating depth. Also if you have loose neck sizing compressed loads can push you bullet back out after seating. Measure em all..

Last edited:
56.9, what are you concerned with? I’ve ran 63 grs of rl 22 in a 06 case w 165’s, gotta pre pack it before you pull the funnel off, level with the case mouth before you seat the bullet.. 114%, lots of crunch..
Not concerned. I love compressed RL-26 loads under 180 grains bullets in the 30-06. That's not in any book anywhere.

The point was that the book has a warning when using the E-Tips

Compressed loads are not a bad thing, to a point (114%).

I've learned not to go much over 104%.
But at least 85% case fill, especially with large volume cases.

"Lots of crunching" is the bullet breaking the kernels, which changes how the powder burns.
Plus you'll need a good crimp, or the COAL will get longer from the powder attempting to push the bullet out of the case.

As always, start low & work up.
If your getting 300 Win Mag velocities from your 30-06, something is majorly wrong!

Last edited:
Back