Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Compressed Load Advice

G. McAlister

Morning all,

I am looking to load a 165/8 gr. Monolithic for a 300 WSM and need some advice on compressed loads. I have worked up a 180 gr. E-Tip load which is accurate (more than I am anyway) and shoots well out of my rifle. My trouble is velocities seem to be lacking compared to what my reloading information tells me I should be getting, and the load just seems a little underwhelming. I can dive into specifics if needed, but in trying to keep it general, should I stick to my current accurate loads at moderate speeds or should I try to work up into the compressed zone with a lighter bullet?

I would stick with your accurate load, while I won't say velocity doesn't matter. Even if you are shooting under where you think you should be, you are still probably a little faster then a 30-06 which will kill anything in north America.

I shoot and reload a lot and most of the time the fastest load isn't the most accurate.

Every hand loaders nightmare. The chase to Mo Betta/ Mo Fastta. My best advice is to stop pouring more good money after bad. I have never been able to equal 'book' and quit trying 20 years ago. "The Book" has been off as much as 250fps many, many times.

If you have a good group and it's clocking along at an adequate velocity (for your your cartridge) then spend your money on the Hunt, or better yet at the range, and never look back.

You're shooting a 300 WSM, I shoot a 7mm/08.

We'll both fill our tags easily, as long as the shot is placed where it needs to be........

Speed is nice but accuracy kills. Just curious what powder and velocity?
Also remember book numbers can vary greatly depending on your chamber, barrel length, twist rate, powder lot, case capacity etc..

If the velocity meets your terminal performance needs and you have the desired degree of accuracy I would stop for hunting purposes. FWIW, “the book” is often shot with longer barrels than common hunting rifles have so that can easily account for 100-200fps.

Speed is nice but accuracy kills. Just curious what powder and velocity?
Also remember book numbers can vary greatly depending on your chamber, barrel length, twist rate, powder lot, case capacity etc..
Hybrid 100V. Getting 2840 FPS average. I know it’s nothing to complain about. I was expecting more based on the test parameters matching so closely with what Nosler used in the book.

Every hand loaders nightmare. The chase to Mo Betta/ Mo Fastta. My best advice is to stop pouring more good money after bad. I have never been able to equal 'book' and quit trying 20 years ago. "The Book" has been off as much as 250fps many, many times.

If you have a good group and it's clocking along at an adequate velocity (for your your cartridge) then spend your money on the Hunt, or better yet at the range, and never look back.

You're shooting a 300 WSM, I shoot a 7mm/08.

We'll both fill our tags easily, as long as the shot is placed where it needs to be........
I reload for the 7mm-HT as well, and love it, but I decided to upgrade since my hunting time is so limited these days. I always want the perfect shot, but with the short barrel on the 7mm, the velocity isn’t there to punch through a shoulder at distance on the last day of a hunt if it’s the only shot I get. Haven’t been able to find a longer barrel option in over a year of searching.

Hybrid 100V. Getting 2840 FPS average. I know it’s nothing to complain about. I was expecting more based on the test parameters matching so closely with what Nosler used in the book.
Definitely not bad velocity especially if it’s accurate. Could switch to a powder like 4831 or RL23 and possibly get 3000 but no guarantees on accuracy or where your node would even be.
I’d be more inclined to switch to a 165 mono if you wanted more speed.

Definitely not bad velocity especially if it’s accurate. Could switch to a powder like 4831 or RL23 and possibly get 3000 but no guarantees on accuracy or where your node would even be.
I’d be more inclined to switch to a 165 mono if you wanted more speed.
That’s what leads me back to a portion of my original question, a significant portion of the load data I am seeing for 165/168 grain is showing compressed loads as fastest/most accurate. Does it make sense to try and chase a load that fast or stick to what I’m comfortable with at a lower speed since compressed loads are out of my wheelhouse per se.

That’s what leads me back to a portion of my original question, a significant portion of the load data I am seeing for 165/168 grain is showing compressed loads as fastest/most accurate. Does it make sense to try and chase a load that fast or stick to what I’m comfortable with at a lower speed since compressed loads are out of my wheelhouse per se.
Compressed loads are not necessarily a hot load. Many factors play into a compressed load such as the specific powder/burn rate, bullet length, cartridge OAL and distance to lands.
If you want to try a 165 I would suggest loading some up and working up your powder charge. Watch for signs of pressure as your load/charge increases and you should be fine.

Compressed loads are not necessarily a hot load. Many factors play into a compressed load such as the specific powder/burn rate, bullet length, cartridge OAL and distance to lands.
If you want to try a 165 I would suggest loading some up and working up your powder charge. Watch for signs of pressure as your load/charge increases and you should be fine.
Thanks so much, you made me think of it in a different way than I had been. I had it in my brain that compressed=overpressured instead of that only being a portion of the equation.

A lot of my loads for different rifles are compressed, seem to be more accurate the fuller the case is.
Have never had to use a drop tube and the powder has been below the neck, but there usually is a little
"crunch" when seating the bullet.

I want speed and accuracy and won’t accept anything less. I’ve found it pretty easy to reach listed speed or maybe alittle higher. If you’re not getting the speed you want, try a different powder.

A lot of my loads for different rifles are compressed, seem to be more accurate the fuller the case is.
Have never had to use a drop tube and the powder has been below the neck, but there usually is a little
"crunch" when seating the bullet.
Yeah I have less than max loads that crunch, but when you shake a finished load you can still hear the powder moving, I guess that partially depends on powder shape and case size.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back