7mm Barnes

Bullshot

For you Barnes experts, I am looking for some insight into an “optimal” bullet weight (and whether TTSX or LRX) for each of the following rifles if I had to pick only one bullet for each cartridge. Since the mono’s hold together and penetrate so well, my priority is good expansion on a broadside heart/lung shot and I know Barnes has some pretty variable velocity specs depending on the bullet choice. And there are a lot of 7mm choices. My max hunting range is about 450, usually much less and I don’t intend to be pushing the limit on velocity for any of my loads.

7mm mag (elk)
280 Rem (deer/elk)
7mm-08 (optimized for deer)

I have a full box of 50 140 gr TTSX if you’re interested. They’d be a good choice in any of those. Send me a pm if you want them.

140 ttsx or 139 lrx would be good for all. You’ll probably get recommendations for Hammers as well, and apparently for good reason. I have yet to play with them but most on here swear by them.
Interesting. Same bullet. Do you feel expansion is likely to be significantly different between 7-08 and 7mag? Or is it that both will expand similarly at closer range but the 7mag can hold that performance for a couple hundred extra yards?

Related question... is it feasible that a lightweight copper mono would ever fail (blow up, or lose the front and thus fail to expand) at extremely close range/high velocity like some cup & core might? For example, out of the 7 mag at 25 yards.

If these questions are naive, thats OK. I didn’t say it in OP but I have never used monos.. guess I am the type that fear’s change. But I am re-vamping my strategy and want to work up copper loads for most of my rifles this year.

Last edited:
From my understanding, the 139 LRX was designed to open up at longer distances, along with the sleeker profile for increased BC. That tells me that it will also perform at 7-08 velocities in typical hunting distances. Any bullet can do weird things at times, but I would feel comfortable using it close up, or far away. In a box, or with a fox.

Or, again, Hammers are an option. Steve is very forthcoming with load help, and his bullets are garnering a stellar reputation.

I was always told to go light for caliber with solids so I shoot 140 TSX and TTSX out of my 7stw. So far they have worked flawlessly on Antelope and Elk.

145 LRX out of my 280AI. Killed everything from coyote to moose with it. Closest shot on an elk is around 40 yards on a cow, frontal shot. Recovered the bullet in the hip, petals were not present on the slug. She didn't take a single step, so while the petals peeled off, the bullet did it's job on the way.

I switched to the 145LRX in my 7WSM. It has been shooting 1"'ish or less throughout the entire powder range with RL19. I lucked out and got enough to keep me going for quite a few seasons. I hopefully will be able to find a box here and there.

140 ttsx or 139 lrx would be good for all. You’ll probably get recommendations for Hammers as well, and apparently for good reason. I have yet to play with them but most on here swear by them.
I've noticed that too, I am currently jumping between Barnes and hammers because of the pricing, seems to be the same almost but hammers are a lot more spendy. Barnes has me wanting the LRX 168gr 7mm for my rem mag but I do want to support hammer for being a montana company but load data from them is very limited

I currently load the 150ttsx for my 7mm and have good results. My problem is finding more of the 150's once I run out. 140's seem to be easier to find so I may try them but am also looking at giving hammers a shot.

Why do most use 140 grain over the 150 grain TTSX?

looking to start reloading and just curious why 140 is more popular.

because for copper, speed matters. And the 140 shoots lights out in my 7x57AI (About like a 280) and can handle game up to and including moose quite well.

The general rule of thumb is to drop down a bullet weight when loading mono's. They need extra speed to perform as expected, per the Barnes website.

That 140 TTSX is a solid choice for any hunting platform in 7 MM.

145 grain LRX flew well out of my 280AI and killed an elk just fine. I switched to 143 grain Hammer Hunters three years ago. Accuracy was a little better. Funny, I hear people talk about the price of Hammer's and I guess I just don't get it. A box of 50 Barnes 140 TTSX on Midway is $45.50 or $.91/bullet. A box of 50 hammer's is $57 or $1.14/Bullet. The difference over 50 rounds is less than a 6 pack of decent beer. Really, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands you have invested in other hunting stuff and shouldn't be a consideration.

I've used the 120 gr. Barnes TTSX in my 7mm-08 for years, and I've taken a lot of elk and deer with it. I've never had one go further than 50 yards. I found great accuracy when it's loaded with RL-15.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back