Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bad Hunter Education Experience

Elkwhisper

So my 11 year old daughter was supposed to start hunter safety tonight and she was really excited. Problem was I got called out of town on business and couldn't go with her. No problem I thought....she has a friend going with her who's dad would keep an eye on them and she is a very smart and mature young lady who I had no doubt could handle it. My daughter and I studied the book and completed all the recommended quizzes prior to the first class as instructed and she did really good and we had a lot of fun working together on it.

Well tonight she showed up for class, and according to my wife, was greeted by some very unprofessional (bad example) volunteers who were pretty rude at check in and really didn't do much to help calm the nerves of a young lady who is super excited to start hunting.

Apparently the first thing they did was to give them the full test which I was told was over 50 questions. No instruction, no discussion, no help, nothing. And when my daughter turned in a less than passing test (though not by much) she and her friend were told that they failed the course and had to go home..... So I am super confused. I signed my daughter up for a "Hunter Education Classroom Course" . The course was to take place tonight, tomorrow and most of the day on Saturday. When exactly was the EDUCATION supposed to take place? They didn't teach her anything and all but chased her out the door.

She called me tonight in tears because we had worked so hard together on completing the workbook and all the quizzes and she was super excited about taking the class and getting her first hunting license. Through the tears I heard about mean guys with lips full of tobacco, spit cups, and rude language. Apparently at one point the class was asked who watched hunting shows on TV. My daughter along with several other kids raised their hands, only to be told they were "idiots" for watching that stuff.

Now we are back to square one, and I am worried that the discouragement and disappointment she was dealt tonight is going to sour her on the whole hunting experience.

I will be the first to tip my hat to those who volunteer their time to teaching tomorrows hunters...... I only wish my schedule would allow me to do the same. But after tonight I am a little worried about signing her back up.... and for sure won't do it with the same instructors, I guess I would like to hear from any of you other parents on what your experience has been with hunters education. Am I crazy to think that they should be actually taught the material before taking the test? And am I asking to much to expect the instructors to treat my child with respect and set a good example?

Sorry for venting, but this has me more worked up than I have been in a long time, and it is something that is very important to me. I can't wait to take my daughter on her first hunt!!!!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your daughter experienced an unfortunate situation.

Was the class advertised as suitable for everyone? Was it known ahead of time students would have to enter the class and demonstrate a certain level of baseline understanding of the materials in order to participate? Was an adult required to attend with students under a certain age?

My experience when I attended a comprehensive hunter's ed class in Arizona was several adults struggled to keep up with the pace the instructors needed to cover all the materials and subjects on the agenda. Those 10% of adults asked well over half of all clarification questions and the frustration of the other students built to the point that was common to hear "Oh, c'mon, pay attention" remarks by other students.

Going forward, is there a different organization that teaches the required course? You sound like a bright person and I am sure your daughter will become a safe, successful hunter soon. Most of us have had a teacher, coach, etc. that lacked "people skills" or maybe decided to haze us. This is a teaching moment to talk about how the adults made her feel and ask her how she would have handled the situation if she was the instructor. Life can be very unfair and learning to bounce back is a great skill to develop no matter how unfairly or poorly treated we are.

If you believe in karma, she will draw a sheep tag before the instructor.

Never in my life have I heard of that kind of nonsense. I'd call and raise hell.
Better yet, go down to the Dept in person and raise all kinds of hell.

Last edited:
Does she not have the option to take the course online and does the Division of Wildlife not administer the course in your state?
Sounds as if the volunteers got the cart before the horse and would be more at place down at the local watering hole.

I'd be down at FWP with my complaints ASAP.

Oh, and guys that spit chew into a cup should be forced to drink that crap. One of the most disgusting habits I've ever seen. Best way to fix one of these guys is to lean in when he sets the cup down and "accidentally" knock it over. Then let him clean it up. I've done it before and it was awesome :D

Something isn't adding up here. PM me what class your daughter was at, names of the instructors and any other pertinent info you might have and I'll look into it. This is serious if it did occur as you have stated.

That is crazy. What in the world is going on? I hope someone figures out what was going on and makes the correct changes. I had the exact opposite experience with my kids this winter...everything went really smooth and very educational. I wish at least the gun portion of the course was taught to everyone in health class in our public schools.

Elkwhisperer, I really hate to hear that. Its clear they were not the kind of group you want teaching your daughter hunter education. I sure hope it won't discourage her from trying again. I put on a hunter's ed class 3-4 times a year at my part-time job at BIG R, where I am the floor supervisor, and it is always a full house and a good time. Its a 2 day deal, and I get pizzas and the store provides drinks . . . the kids and parents are able to relax and enjoy all of the volunteers/ CO's info and hopefully it makes a difference, thats my goal at least. I'm not sure if they offer it online there, but, here in Indiana it takes forever to complete it online. Good luck and tell your daughter to keep her chin up!

(oh, and no spit cups allowed in class either!)

Speachless. I hope this does not deter your daughter from entering the great world of hunting. I'd actually use this incident in teaching her a few valuable life lessons.

With that said, all my son had to do was complete the workbook ahead of time and show them it was completed at check in. We couldn't have had a better time with the crew out of Helena...they did a fantastic job!

Good luck with this and keep us updated.

Rotten idiots in charge there. A teachable moment for your daughter.....maybe its a good thing that she didn't "get" to sit under their "teaching" after all. I believe that while her enthusiasm has been knocked down a peg or two, she can bounce back nicely with some help from you and some real HS instructors.

I have never heard of such a thing. I know many instructors and that wouldn't take place in their classes. I do know that their numbers are thinning out and old instructors are getting harder to replace. The course usually takes place over several days. I have never heard of a one day course.

I've been involved in a lot of hunter ed classes over the years, in both Montana and Washington. I've never heard of students being given a pass/fail test as their first order of business.

It is also a direct violation of policy for tobacco to be used in the classroom. I would be calling FWP ASAP to discuss the situation.

What did your friend and his daughter have to say about the class?

I'd be down at FWP with my complaints ASAP.

Agree with this 100%

I took Hunter's Ed in Montana (over a decade ago now) and it was nothing like described above. There was plenty of in-class education and an outdoor experience session before the test.

Very disappointing. If I was you, I would think about a call to Thomas Baumeister in Helena FWP. He is the state Hunter Ed coordinator for the Department. A really good guy. I suspect he would get to the bottom of it.

If there is some way we/I can help raise her spirits about hunting, let us know. Opportunities such as that of a new hunter cannot be left to the fickleness of some supposed-instructor who is not in the fold of most those who volunteer for the task of teaching Hunter Ed.

I took one of the first courses offered by the NRA in IN where I grew up in about 1953 when I was 6 years old. It was such a great experience I can still picture the instructor and remember his name! In this situation you've described I'd be taking every avenue to have those guys hung by the whatsees and would press the issue as far as necessary as that's a terrible start to what should be a great experience for a kid!

This is really too bad. I think a call to the FWP is in order. The bright side is most likely the good example you provide your daughter will most likely overshadow this event, so keep up the good work dad.

I attended the Hunter Education course with my twelve-year old grandson in Bozeman in April. It included five evenings of instruction and engaging discussions, with small groups and large group settings. The week culminated with a half day session Saturday at the Logan Shooting Range, with great hands-on experience tracking, shooting rifles & shotguns, and several interesting small group learning stations. The final test was administered on Saturday and everyone passed, receiving their cards right then.
Several prizes were given out in a drawing and the new hunters were all very excited and engaged in the process. There were several hundred kids, with a surprisingly 40% participation by girls.
The instructors were very professional and encouraged lots of questions and discussion. They stressed many of the same principles outlined in my NRA Hunter Safety Handbook of 1957, when I received my card. There were many new things that I learned as well.
It is disappointing and unacceptable to learn of your daughter's bad experience in Billings, Elkwhisper. The Bozeman program was clearly the antithesis of that instruction. It would be beneficial for you to follow Fin's advice and bring this situation to the attention of those who have oversight and can improve the situation in Billings.

Now it's been a long time since I have attended hunter education, but as I recall they taught and then at the end of a 2 day deal you took a test....I would call the game and fish and get to the bottom of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back