PEAX Equipment

Backpacking sleeping bags

Redwood

Buddy needs a new bag, wants to spend $250 less. This is for goat hunting into oct so packabity is key. He'll need a long. Don't want to deal with bivy, looking probably at synthetic. Eyeing the kelty ignite dridown, marmot cloud real, nf cats meow, mnt hardware lamina. Thoughts...

I had a NorthFace Cat's Meow for 10+ years. I switched to down a few years ago, but it's still my go to bag for certain trips.

Cabelas has the cats meow on sale right now for a stupid low price online, plus they offer it in XL for big boys. The shell doesn't seem all that durable or water resistant. The mnt hardware lamina is one we're leaning towards as its a tough bag.

I have 2 Lamina 0deg bags and an Ultra Lamina 30 deg. The 0 is rated more for 20 and the 30 more for 45. With a liner they're closer to the rating but still 10-15 less. My dad used one of my Laminas a couple years ago on a moose hunt. It didn't get below 30 and he was cold most of the time. I was fine in mine. The draft collars suck, the hood is not well designed, and the insulated zipper flap isn't long/wide enough to keep the draft out. Mine is 3 years old, so maybe they changed it, but looking at the current model on line it looks like its the same bag. I'm a bigger guy 6-1, 215, and the cut isn't all that great. I bought mine for 'wet' hunting, but rarely use it other than truck camping because it sucks.

I keep looking for a quality synthetic bag as well, the only one that I'm even remotely interested in at the moment is from Kifaru. I've been using down for more than 10 years. If I go on a coastal goat or Kodiak hunt I'd take synthetic, but all other hunts in AK or any in the L48 will be in down...

Many companies are now making some sort of water replant for down, and Nikwax makes a treatment you can wash in.

This would be my first choice bag...
http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-h...vIDI5IERlZ3JlZSBEb3duIFNsZWVwaW5nIEJhZ3M6MDow

Last edited:
My next Down bag will be a treated down no doubt.
Seeing as how a sleeping bag is the most important part of staying warm and comfortable on a hunt, It probably would be one of the less restricted on Price items I would spend money on.

I'd Search REI's selection online and compare each one using their search-compare function. Usually a field in the Specs is packed size.

Cabelas has the cats meow on sale right now for a stupid low price online, plus they offer it in XL for big boys. The shell doesn't seem all that durable or water resistant. The mnt hardware lamina is one we're leaning towards as its a tough bag.

I've had no problems with mine. I forget which version of the polarguard mine is, but there have been 2-3 generations of it since my bag was made.

I probably use it 7-10 nights a year at this point and the fabric has held up just fine. Mine is the long size and plenty of room. I'm 6' 1 1/4 " and 214 pounds. ;)

Anybody tried the kelty ignite dridown. I guess they are using duck as opposed to goose feathers. Supposedly cheaper but able to treat for water resistance better. New one on me. Thoughts on this bag.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back