Backpacking Sleeping Bags on a budget

It was just a suggestion bluffy some like em some don't. Clearly your not one of them, that's cool.
I shouldn't be so dismissive of an idea, sorry about that, but even the advocates say that for freezing temperatures, most backpackers prefer the wrap around fabric of a sleepy bag because it's less drafty, hence the skepticism. These are for summertime.

I went through some sleeping bag shopping last year. I ended up with the Hyke and Byke 0 degree, but the hammock version with the center zip. I didn't get it for hammocks, I got that version for the extra room and the center zip. I tried several others first and liked it the best and found it to be the best value. I also hammock camp, and while I prefer quilts for hammocks, this thing works okay for a hammock option.

I have also gone the quilt route before and they just didn't do it for me. I could never get the right coverage with the quilt and there wasn't an option to get it comfortably up and around my face and head. There is just something I like about a bag.

I'm a bigger guy looking to purchase his first sleep system. My only experience is with Army issue sleeping bags which I did not care for.
Too confining, but those are one size fits most.

Quilts seem to be roomy with a downside of possibly more drafts?
I'm a big guy. My shoulder circumference is such that a traditional mummy bag won't cut it. I've used Big Agnes bags with some success, although the trail weight pushed me to a quilt. I currently use a Katabatic Flex 22 (wide) and love it. It's super comfy. I use it as a blanket in the summer / early fall and strap it to my pad (with the included strap system) to eliminate drafts as it gets colder. I've used it down into the mid 20's and haven't had any issues.

I have no affiliation and no experience with these bags but I was doing a little research a couple months ago and came across the Hyke and Byke website. For the price I plan on giving one of their bags a try. They have options for both goose down and synthetic and offer 0 degree models, under $250. It is not the lightest weight but not too bad. Good customer review ratings. Maybe someone here has tried one that can chime in.
I just got one of their Eolus 0°F Ultralight 800FP Goose Down Sleeping Bags as a gift. Seems like a pretty good finish and fit. I'll be able to give some comments after 4th season at 10000ft.
Any ideas on sleeping pads?

Last edited:
How heavy are all your bags? Name your bag one more time, it’s rating, and it’s weight… I’ve got a cheap Alpz 0* mummy bag that I really like, but feel like there are definitely lighter weight 0* bags.. mine is about 5#s..

Aliby, check out thermarests neo air. It’s spendy, but superlite and I used it on Denali with now issue. Also my wife slept on it 8 mo pregnant and said it was the best night sleep she had while pregnant. That said this was all 10+ years ago so there may be something better out there, but we still use and love them.

I have a TNF Furnace 35* bag. Love the bags packed size and weight at 3#’s for the price and supposedly wide for its class. If I need warmer I add my clothes. Also have REI brand 0* synthetic and -20* down from 10-20 years ago.

Last edited:
I think down and synthetic each have their place
For synthetic, the Kifaru Slick bag is a great option within striking distance of the OP price range. I’ve got one, haven’t used it yet, but looking forward to.

I recently helped a guy move and was gifted a Marmot Sawtooth XL 15* bag. Seems pretty nice and light. Haven't gotten out to use it yet but looking forward to it.

My thoughts: If you can spend $300, save another $150 - $200 and buy a used Western Mountaineering bag on Rokslide.

If you were spending $100 I wouldn't suggest it, but I'm a firm believer in buy once cry once instead of nickel and diming on lesser gear, only to ultimately spend the premium on top of all the also-ran stuff that came before.

A Western Mountaineering bag will last a lifetime and is designed right. Their continuous baffles allow you to adjust the loft, moving the down underneath you if it gets hot, or moving it all on top for maximum warmth. You move it by just sliding your hand over the baffle.

Full specs on every bag they make here:

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back