Backpacking Sleeping Bags on a budget

Agree with a lot of the other replies here. Sleeping bags and tents are kind of like used vehicles in that you can usually get one lightly used for significantly cheaper than buying new. I think you can get into a very good quality used bag at that price point.

In addition to the REI used co-op, I'd also look at:

REI garage sales in your area (typically March-April around here); this is a good way to get your hands on gear rather than buying something sight unseen. the downside is you may have to get there super early to get priority, as there is usually a line well before they open.

Manufacturer used/demo gear: Big Agnes has a "gear outlet" where they sell demo and used gear. The bag I still use today, a BA Lost Ranger 15, was a demo bag I bought from there several years ago. Don't know how many other manufacturers do this, but there are 4-5 different bags on there right now (20 degree - 40 degree).

Weight, it's not for everyone. Some like it some don't. A good pad is what makes it especially for winter
I'm a bigger guy looking to purchase his first sleep system. My only experience is with Army issue sleeping bags which I did not care for.
Too confining, but those are one size fits most.

Quilts seem to be roomy with a downside of possibly more drafts?

I'm a bigger guy looking to purchase his first sleep system. My only experience is with Army issue sleeping bags which I did not care for.
Too confining, but those are one size fits most.

Quilts seem to be roomy with a downside of possibly more drafts?
Not necessarily with the way they connect. They're really quite nice IMO.

I'm a bigger broader guy as well. If the quilt doesn't look like it would work I would look at a MONTBEL. They're a mountaineering company they have a design that in my opinion is unmatchable. They stretch very freely which doesn't limit your shoulders and what not when you toss over. Hands down unreal bag..... I'm buying 2 of them before the season for my wife and kids.

They have a very good weight to.. very reasonable. And the prices aren't terrible.

Thanks for your service

We have a lot of different bags. Kelty cosmic down 0 degree is a great bag for the money in my opinion. Also have golite down zero degree, a bit tight but a good bag. But that said I finally saved up and bought a western mountaineering 0 degree bag, I’ll never need another bag. Warm, roomy any comfortable.

I have a Kelty 15 degree 650 fill. It’s not expensive, but light and durable. I’ve used it probably 250 nights or better and washed 40+ times, no issues. If I’m backpacking and it’s below 25 degrees at night I take a 0 degree bag.
What temp range is most comfortable for your 15 degree bag? Was looking at kelty bag at cabelas today.

I like The North Face Furnace. Lightweight and packs small. If it’s not the right temp rating for your conditions, sleep in the right amount of clothes.

I have Kelty,Marmot & REI bags 20 deg to -20. Synthetic & down. Never paid more than $140,all on sale.

Why bother? Most people, if not almost all people, will not be satisfied with one of these.

Simple solution is a 650 duck down or synthetic bag. Add a liner. Add a thermarest self inflating pad. 5lbs, probably keep you alive to 0 degrees, comfortable to 15-20.

Last edited:
Why bother? Most people, if not almost all people, will not be satisfied with one of these.

Simple solution is a 650 duck down or synthetic bag. Add a liner. Add a thermarest self inflating pad. 5lbs, probably keep you alive to 0 degrees, comfortable to 15-20.
It was just a suggestion bluffy some like em some don't. Clearly your not one of them, that's cool.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back