Backpacking Sleeping Bags on a budget

Jayce37

Hey guys, Wondering what ya'll have used for backpacking sleeping bags for spring bear and September/October mountain hunts? Is a 15 degree bag warm enough? Thanks guys!

Generally speaking that would be adequate if quality, and if in a shelter. What’s your budget?

I've got a 15 degree down RedFox bag. I like it but they are harder to find so a different brand is probably better. I got it at a pop up store for a good deal because they were closing. I used it for September elk in Colorado this year. It was plenty warm, actually had to open it up, and I think it'd be fine for early Oct. as long as it wasn't a colder than normal Oct. I do sleep warm and I will say I am currently shopping for a 0 degree bag for rifle season and those times it snows in Sept. But I'm definitely a bit of an over prepper/worrier.

I have no affiliation and no experience with these bags but I was doing a little research a couple months ago and came across the Hyke and Byke website. For the price I plan on giving one of their bags a try. They have options for both goose down and synthetic and offer 0 degree models, under $250. It is not the lightest weight but not too bad. Good customer review ratings. Maybe someone here has tried one that can chime in.

REI Magma 15* was a really good value except it was very recently discontinued...might be worth peeking if you have an rei close by. $389 but it’d be close to $300 when the 20% coupon comes out in March.

Marmot Sawtooth is decent for the price. An MH synthetic would work, relatively very bulky but way cheaper than down and it’ll get the job done.

I’ve used a Big Agnes Mystic UL 15 degree bag. You can find them discounted at times. They have a nice feature to slip an air pad inside a sleeve so you don’t slip and slide at night.

I have a Kelty 15 degree 650 fill. It’s not expensive, but light and durable. I’ve used it probably 250 nights or better and washed 40+ times, no issues. If I’m backpacking and it’s below 25 degrees at night I take a 0 degree bag.

Another vote for the Big Agnes 15 deg bag. That sleeping pad sleeve feature is great. Got mine at REI with the 20% member discount. Have not tested it below 20 degrees. Temp ratings are not for comfort though - see various other threads on that issue.

I have no affiliation and no experience with these bags but I was doing a little research a couple months ago and came across the Hyke and Byke website. For the price I plan on giving one of their bags a try. They have options for both goose down and synthetic and offer 0 degree models, under $250. It is not the lightest weight but not too bad. Good customer review ratings. Maybe someone here has tried one that can chime in.
I have the 0 degree goose down version. Have used it for two seasons. The value for the money is really hard to beat.

Probably don't want to spend over 300
Can be done and comfortably.

$ for sleeping bags and packs basically equates to weight (s.bag packability). Yes, durability though that's more long run and can be overcome with the latest and greatest of the less expensive gear.

Example: Kelty brand and you'll be under budget.

I have a Nemo Disco 15 for around that price. It’s not the lightest of bags but it has been great so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back