Caribou Gear

Backpacking Gear

SakibombNM

I'm looking for some advice on backpacking gear. I recently purchased a Badlands Ox hunting pack and now I'm looking for some good gear to put in it. I've looked at Katadyn and Sawyer water purifiers, various sleeping bags and tents as well as Jetboil and Optimus stoves. Any experience or suggestions on this or other similar gear? I'm hoping to put this gear to the test this fall for a mule deer hunt in Southern NM. Thanks guys!

+1 on the jetboil

I use a Katadyn Basecamp filter. I like it because all I have to do is fill the bag at the watersource, and bring it back to camp and hang it in a tree, and let gravity do the work.

I just picked up a Golite Shangri-la 3 this last spring, and for the same weight as my Marmot Limelight 2, I have way more room. It would definately be adequate for two guys without too much gear inside.

I use a Sierra Designs Zissou 12 with 700 Dridown. I haven't put it through to much abuse yet, but probably have 30-40 nights in it, and I have been impressed. I think it is alot of bag for the money. I pair it with a Thermarest z-lite, and for me that is enough, it kind of depends on what your tolerance is for sleeping on the ground, mine is fairly high.

IMO, it takes some trial and error to figure out what works for you when it comes to backpacking gear. I have the benefit of 14 years as a light infantryman, so I have a good idea what I need to get sustain myself, but I think everyone is different.

I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter. I prefer it because you can pump out of water sources that may be very difficult to fill water bottles out of otherwise.

I have a Snow Peak stove, my buddy has an MSR Reactor and really likes it. That thing is ridiculously fast to boil water.

My sleeping bag is a Marmot Sawtooth. Pretty good bag for the money. I use a Big Agnes IAC sleeping pad with it, I much prefer them to the therma rest or foam pads for sleeping comfort.

My tent is a Big Agnes Seedhouse. Lots of very good tents out there nowadays. The GoLites are really nice, I picked up a Shangrila 5 this year and will likely use it as a floorless on a lot of hunts where bugs aren't an issue.

+1 on the Jet-Boil

I use the Katadyn Vario and have been happy with it. I also have a large Platypus bag so I can pump lots of water at once and not have to keep pumping all the time.

I have the MSR Hubba Hubba tent. It has been a good tent for me, but I'm sure there are other great ones out there.

I have had multiple thermarest sleeping pads that have deflated even when brand new. I just bought an Exped Synmat UL 7 and used it on my recent trip to Colorado. I like it a lot. It is light and very compact as well as comfortable.

I like bringing a pair of Crocs along too. They don't weigh much of anything and are nice for getting out of the tent without having to lace up boots.

I also like to be comfortable in camp, so I bring an REI Flex Lite chair. It does add weight, but it is nice to have in camp.

I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter. I prefer it because you can pump out of water sources that may be very difficult to fill water bottles out of otherwise.

I've had the same Pur Hiker (same filter as the Katydyn) for over a decade and by just switching out the filter every year, I've had nothing but reliable service from it, even when the bottle of deet blew up in my fishing pack and melted a lot of the plastic housing.

Also have an MSR stove & an older Coleman Xtreme stove (though the cannisters are about impossible to find anymore) and love both, but you can't go wrong with a Jet Boil either.

I have a jetboil and MSR pocket rocket. I prefer the pocket rocket just because of it's compact size. I can put the stove into a small pot that takes up much less space in my pack than the jetboil does.

I'll let you guys know how well the Ox works out. I contemplated for months if I should get the Ox or the Kuiu Icon 5200 and when it came down to it the Badlands Warranty was the deciding factor. Seems like everyone really likes those Jetboil stoves, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Last edited:
Been fine tuning my kit for a long time and upgrade when I feel the "need". I hope I can locate all of it this week, it may prove challenging. :D

My current setup includes:
-Kifaru Highcamp and Bikini frame
-BA Copper Spur 3
-Marmot Pinnacle bag
-Nemo Astro Lite pad (gone through 3 BA pads, they make it about 2 years before they spring an undetectable leak)
-1/3 of a Z-Rest pad for sitting and added protection under my main pad
-Soto Micro Regulator stove with a Jet Boil pot. I find it burns slightly less fuel and is lighter.
-Sawyer Squeeze filter. Had a Hiker, and an MSR... The Sawyer is by far my favorite, weighs 3oz and works either by gravity or squeeze. No more PUMPING for me ever again.
-2 or 3 Platypus collapsible 1 or 1.5L bags.
-Platypus 6L water tank for dirty water/base camp filtering
-A couple light weight dry bags for cloths/misc storage organization
-small headlamp
-small first aid kit

That's pretty much it. This should total around 16lbs, toss in food, cloths, a rifle, spotter/tripod and a few misc hunting items and I'm at about 45-46lbs for 8-10 days. Just depends on how many Snickers I take.

That Nemo pad looks interesting. Might have to go on the list of eventual upgrades.

Just went through and weighed items for my sheep hunting trip last night. Here's my general gear list to give you some ideas.

MR 6500 pack
Shangri La SL5 (for me plus 2 others)
Marmot Helium bag
Big Agnes Aircore pad
Small inflatable Thermarest pillow (neck issues and the rolled up jacket just doesn't cut it anymore)
MSR Whisper Lite stove (air taxi won't allow Jet Boil type fuel canisters)
1 liter titanium pot
Platypus water bladder
Aquamira tablets (going to try these over my MSR Sweetwater filter)
Small first aid kit and emergency bivvy
Small Leatherman
Havalon knife with a few extra blades
2 TAG Bag game bags
Swaro 65 ATS scope and tripod
camera
couple lightweight dry bags for bag and clothes

Clothes, rifle, and 10 bullets. I'm planning on 2 lbs of food / day for 8 days.

I'm at 54 lbs pack weight (not counting rifle). That includes all the shared items like tent, stove, spotting scope, etc. By the time I distribute some shared weight to my two partners' packs I'll be down to 50 lbs.

Do you guys carry any kind of heat source to heat your tent when backpack hunting? Or do you rely on your tent and sleeping bag to keep you warm?

I carry charcoal hand warmers, and throw a couple in my sleeping bag each night, and then use them glassing the following morning. They don't weigh much and definitely add some warmth to the bag. I usually put one down by my feet and one around the kidney area.

-jetboil with small fuel cans so they fit inside, long spoon or spork
-hiker pro with a QD on its hose that fits into my camelback hose QD, works AWESOME and I also pack in a spare bladder with QD's when up high so I have several days and don't have to worry about it, just top off on way up or during a hunt if I cross a spring. I will warn you last year I broke off spout on hiker pro during hunt, used it like a squirt gun to fill bladders for 5 days but it still worked till my buddy showed up with a spare filter (housing included). I like this better than bags because where I hunt it usually freezes overnight and don't want to worry about that bag if I fill right before dark and also my hose filter deal(coffee filter covered) fills bladders fast and can suck water from tiny places that those bags can't and at altitude I like that option.
-I carry hot hands also, throw in feet of bag at night and still works for few hours in AM.
-big agnes bag/pad
-lots of paracord especially if in bear country where your hanging meat and food bags
-buy a small camp pillow case, stuff your down vest or sweatshirt in it at night and sleep way better
-couple gallon ziplocks SO handy...
-noninsulated(singlewall) stainless steel water bottle, can heat up drinks fast next to a fire and let me tell you a warm orange Gatorade on a 10degree morning helps a lot when your trying to sit and spot.
-ALWAYS carry with you; firestarter, firstaid kit(real basic) contractor trash bag, a water treatment pill or 2 and some paracord. Just in case....

Lots of good quality geared being named here. My first experience of big game western hunting began in 2010, I was a total rook with no mentor or buddies with experience. I have since replaced every piece of gear I had in 2010 with good high quality gear, my advice is don't go cheap or you'll be replacing it, take the advice your reading in these posts. Here's a few more items I don't think we're mentioned for you to think about.
- Big agnes Q-core sleep pad (fantastic)
- MSR Hubba tent
- Wool base layers
- high quality boots
- high quality binocs
- high quality pack
- high quality socks
- good rain gear.....not cheap crap (been there done that)
The list could go on & on...... I think you get the idea.

I just picked up a Jetboil Flash for 70 brand new. There is a site that is having a large sale on all kinds of great gear as they are doing a inventory reduction. Im not sure I can post the site here as I don't want to break Fins rules.

Jetboils are great but if you fly you can't take fuel with you. Most destinations have fuel canisters but be sure before you go. I'm going to Adak next month and there are no fuel canisters. I will be taking a trusty MSR XGK that can burn any fuel; unleaded gas, white gas, diesel, kerosene.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MachineSub GN 4576225912G
Back