Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Backpacking Gear

Good, bad or indifferent, this is what I carry.

Tent- BA Fly Creek UL2
Bag- BA Lost Ranger
Pad- BA
Stove- Esbit or last year I bought and alcohol stove. I don't get why more people don't carry an Ebsit. Cheap and simple. Only issues I ever had were above 10K where my water wouldn't come to a rolling boil. I guess I am always doing other camp stuff while my water warms/comes to a boil (~8-10 minutes) vs staring at it for a couple for minutes. No matter how fast your water boils, it still takes the same amount of time for a MH meal to rehydrate.

After trying a lot of different options, I now carry:
Kelty Gunnison 2 tent
Kelty Cosmic 35 sleeping bag
MSR Whisperlite stove
MSR MiniWorks EX water filter

I don't carry a sleeping pad, though I am beginning to think that a better night's sleep might make up for the extra weight. The lightweight sleeping bag is great for mild temps, and if it gets a little too chilly, I will stuff a nalgene bottle or two of boiling water into the bag. Sleeping with a stocking cap and gloves also makes a huge difference and allows me to carry the light bag.

As far as stoves, many do well but the Soto Micro Regulator is often overlooked. As light as it gets and burns as well as any others, as well as extremely compact.

For sleeping pads and tents- do your research. I found that a good pad makes a big difference on how well I sleep and how I feel in the morning. An Exped Down 7 is as comfy as they get. Its a bit heavier than many out there, but comes with a better R rating and is likely the most comfortable pad out there.

Do any of you guys use the little foldup stoves that you burn twigs etc. instead of gas? I went in an outdoor store in Tulsa and the guy was really talking them up and said they perform almost as well as the gas stoves and you don't have to carry a canister or two.

I still have my original PUR Hiker and after 15 years it is still working well.

I have a couple MSR micro rockets and am very impressed with them. I picked up a new pot last winter and it works great with boiling water in a hurry.
olicamp_xtspot.jpg

Black Diamond z-poles
Black Diamond HighLight tent
MR Metcalf
Marmot 15 bag
ThermaRest pad
OR drysacks

Heck, here is a shot from a couple days ago.

Do any of you guys use the little foldup stoves that you burn twigs etc. instead of gas? I went in an outdoor store in Tulsa and the guy was really talking them up and said they perform almost as well as the gas stoves and you don't have to carry a canister or two.

last thing I want to worry about is a little fire to cook my dinner on after I just walked up and down mountains for 12 hours straight. my jetboil I push 1 button and 2 minutes later dinner is cooked. the littlest fuel can don't weigh much and lasts about week, and some camp sites dont even have much to burn when your above treeline, then what?

My local Bass Pro has a bunch of "experts" that will tell you anything to sell stuff and when I ask where they hunt none of them have ever been out west so proceed with caution.

The Jetboil is a good product. My last few hikes I've left the pump filter behind and used a Steripen, which purifies water using UV light. It's MUCH faster, easier and lighter than a pump. I'm sold, as long as battery life is not a problem and you have a source of clear water.

Im getting my back pack hunting equipment geared up and am wondering about heat on occation in a small pack tent if needed? do you folks use a jetboil for tent heat on occation?Im debating between a jetboil or a msr stove?{im aware of the c o}but want to keep it light.im leaning towards the jetboil zip set up.

Im getting my back pack hunting equipment geared up and am wondering about heat on occation in a small pack tent if needed? do you folks use a jetboil for tent heat on occation?Im debating between a jetboil or a msr stove?{im aware of the c o}but want to keep it light.im leaning towards the jetboil zip set up.

One trick you can try is to boil water, put it in your water bottle and put water bottle in your sleeping bag with you. That plus a change into dry clothes, especially socks, can take away lots of chills.

does anybody out there recomend the msr pocket rocket? its a little lighter than the jetboil,,,but is it as effiecient?looking at msr 1.0 reactor also as it appears like it might be a better radiant heater for inside a tent?Im still un decided.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back