PEAX Equipment

Back up rifles

Rooster52

Who takes a back up rifle on your hunts ? I plan on using my 300WSM Browning and taking my 270WSM along for a back up just in case something should happen to my 300.
Also taking along my prarriedog rifle and 20 gauge O/U.Will be in Wyoming for about a month,never know ?

Locally, no, unless I happen to be carrying my pistol too. If I'm traveling, it only makes for sound practice. There is no way to foresee Murphy. In that case it's "Have 7mm/08 & 308... will travel" . ;)

Always out west. A couple if there are 4 of us.... always a variation of a 300 mag....always checked for accuracy and ammo match, always a vehicle handgun but seldom carry it in the field.

Last edited:
Always a backup on a hunt trip. If I am close to home, one extra for the truck, if I am far away then one extra per hunter. Thats my rule of thumb.

I always have a backup rifle. Shoot model 70's 7mm you just never know!

I always worry about slipping and busting the scope or changing point of aim more than a gun malfunction. I've grown to never underestimate my ability to screw something up.

I always worry about slipping and busting the scope or changing point of aim more than a gun malfunction. I've grown to never underestimate my ability to screw something up.

This.

I always have a backup. And a shotgun for blues, sharpies, etc if the country is right.

Went to Idaho in 06 for spring bear and took 44 mag as backup to my rifle. Going to Wyoming antelope hunting in October 270 is number one gun 25-06 is backup if anything gets broke on number one gun too far from home to take a chance. Next year is elk in Idaho 300 rum number one haven't figured out backup yet might just use my dads 30-06 he is going also. It is a wilderness hunt so space is at a premium.

I usually bring a backup rifle on long trips. Every once in a while I take a nasty fall and its nice to have a fresh gun for the next day.

Locally, no, unless I happen to be carrying my pistol too. If I'm traveling, it only makes for sound practice. There is no way to foresee Murphy. In that case it's "Have 7mm/08 & 308... will travel" . ;)

^^^. I always take a back up rifle for those 'oh crap' moments. I usually have a pistol in the truck or on my person.

I think I took a backup rifle on 3 out of state/country trips. Don't bother with it anymore. How many bow hunters pack a a backup? If something could get jacked up on a hunt, its a compound bow.

The odds of a rifle malfunctioning is very rare, so rare that I'm willing to make it a camping trip if need be. Usually hunt with someone who has a rifle I could borrow and vise versa.

I have been packing a sling shot as of late if that counts. Thinking of upgrading to a 22 pistol though.

For as many posts as there is about what rifle/bullet/scope is the best, I can see that most hunters focus on the easy stuff that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of hunting. They should be focusing on how and where to find and kill the animal they're after.

I always take a 2nd rifle on away trips but luckily I have never needed it. I always have an extra set of bow strings in my bow box just in case but I have never needed them also.
Usually when I go on out of state hunts my truck looks like I am one of the clampetts. I take way more stuff than I will likely use but I hate not having what I need.

Theres always 3-4 of us on our Montana trips and we all shoot model 70's and we take care of them ( keep them cleaned) so theres not much to worry about.... worst case scenario something happens to scope but we all use higher up Leupolds.... I guess if something strange like dropping a gun or something else would happen im not worried about it cuz like I said theres always minimum of 3 of us.... So we would have 2 other guns to shoot our animal with... And we hunt on a private ranch and the rancher has guns... Having said all that...... if going on a solo hunt on public which I sometimes do also... I have brought a spare..

Back