Back up rifles

I never took a spare rifle with me until I was hunting with my FIL and the firing pin in his 243 semi-auto broke. He always brought an extra rifle with, so he swapped out guns and we hunted the rest of the day like nothing happened. I sometimes take an extra rifle with me when I'm hunting solo a long distance away from home (like 300+ miles or further), but I don't take a spare when I'm within 100 miles of home.

I always do if I'm driving as I have the space and the gun case fits two anyway. I don't if I fly.

I think Bambistew is dropping some major knowledge on this and another thread today!

This will be my first hunting trip more than a couple hours away from home. Was thinking of taking a backup, but worried about leaving it in truck while in camp. Won't be near the truck for 6 days. Is this ever of concern to any of you?

Do ya take a spare muzzle loader!?, I ask because I am muzzle loading right now, and I don't.
If you have room why not, but my hat is in the don't bring one Either ring.

This will be my first hunting trip more than a couple hours away from home. Was thinking of taking a backup, but worried about leaving it in truck while in camp. Won't be near the truck for 6 days. Is this ever of concern to any of you?

In this case I would pack it in with me if at all possible

Slipped off a wet log last year whilev elkj hunting out of state. Feet went right out from under me.
landed awkwardly across the log. tried to save the scope but it ended up smaking me along side the cheek bone giving me a nice mouse to add insult to injury. took a couple of test shots later in the day. figured i could adjust for the scope being off as it was still better than my back up which was in the truck. I always bring a backup. but worry more abt it being stolen out of the truck while out hunting

Too much time and money invested in out-of-state trips not to take a backup. It is a long way home if you fall on your rifle and break the stock or the scope.

Back